Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Texas College Free Semester
I am intrigued by the CBE programs. I reached out to a financial aid representative of the college using the online chat function and asked if the CBE programs are eligible for the current $1,700 award. She said they are.

The sticker price for CBE is $850 in district, $950 in state/out of district, and $1,500 out of state. So, for those of us not in Texas, 2 terms of 7 weeks would cost $1,300.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
They don't take ACE/NCCRS, but do take CLEP, I don't recall much when I researched them last time... I think this is a great deal if you do one of the BAS options, you will need permission to take the CBE and also the respective courses, but you can practically transfer in 90 CLEP credits. Email them to verify, I am just going by a foggy memory...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I wish I had calc and discreet out of the way. This would be a great opportunity for linear algebra. I think the only online I’ve seen was LSU and NDS. And they’re pricey.
(08-13-2021, 11:51 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: They don't take ACE/NCCRS, but do take CLEP, I don't recall much when I researched them last time... I think this is a great deal if you do one of the BAS options, you will need permission to take the CBE and also the respective courses, but you can practically transfer in 90 CLEP credits.  Email them to verify, I am just going by a foggy memory...

This is a big offer when I post this yesterday I was confuse if this will work with a CBE program but if that is the case I will jump in a do some courses that I need .

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
I'd definitely be interested in the linear algebra should I ever decide to do a Masters in Data Science... but I went to too many schools for me to do transcripts from every one for all these awesome programs.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
I applied!

xxxx,

Thank you for applying for Two Year Admissions
for Fall 2021
to South Texas College.

Your application will be sent to the above school in the next two business
days. There may be subsequent overnight processes necessary at your
target institution before they are able to contact you. Please also keep in
mind that weekends and holidays may further delay this communication.

All further questions *AND ANY CHANGES* concerning this application should
be directed to the institution you applied to and not to ApplyTexas. DO
NOT SEND ANOTHER APP FOR CORRECTIONS.

For assistance with your submitted application, please contact:
3201 W. Pecan
McAllen TX 78501
Phone: 956-872-8323
Email: admissions@southtexascollege.edu
Fax: 956-872-8321
In Progress:
BS Statistics + BS Physics, Indonesia, 2023
MSc ML/AI (LJMU, UK), 2022
Completed:
PGDip ML/AI (IIITB, India), 2021
BE Civil Engineering, Universitas Pelita Harapan, 2017
[-] The following 2 users Like asianphd's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, gams007
I'm so tempted to do this... my concern is that the free semester is first-come, first-serve and I don't really want to pay for classes that would just be for personal interest/development if they run out of money... is it worth it to try?!
BALS-Humanities from TESU - June 2019

CLEP - A&I Lit, US History 1, US History 2, West Civ 1, Intro Sociology, American Lit, Humanities, Soc. Sci & History, English Lit
Sophia - Intro to Info Tech, Art History 1, Visual Communications, Managing Conflict, Building Effective Teams
Study - Personal Finance, Comm 120, Math 97, Bus 121, Lib Sci 101, Eng 104, Nutrition 101, Eng 105, His 108, Pol. Sci 102, Earth Sci 104, His 308, Bus 313, His 102, Eng 305, His 105, His 106, His 306, Geometry 101, Bus 324, Com 102
Institutes - Insurance Ethics
TESU - Cornerstone, Music History 2 TECEP, LIB Capstone

Further Credits - Sophia - Conflict Resolution, Enviro Science, Microecon, Intro to Stats, Into to Ethics, Found. of Stats, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Macroecon, Intro to Business, Project Management, Accounting, Art History 2
(08-13-2021, 10:05 PM)TexasTink Wrote: I'm so tempted to do this... my concern is that the free semester is first-come, first-serve and I don't really want to pay for classes that would just be for personal interest/development if they run out of money... is it worth it to try?!

The first $850 is disbursed before the first day of class. If you choose to have the funds applied to your account instead of sent directly to you, then your balance will automatically go down. You have until the second day of class (Aug. 24) to drop for a full refund.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Are non degree seeking students still required to ha e taken the prerequisite courses before they can take a specific course. For example would you have to have taken calc1 before you can take discreet math. Or could you take them both at once
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pats20's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
(08-14-2021, 02:14 PM)Pats20 Wrote: Are non degree seeking students still required to ha e taken the prerequisite courses before they can take a specific course. For example would you have to have taken calc1 before you can take discreet math. Or could you take them both at once

In my experience with Texas community colleges, the prerequisite requirements are for everyone. They don't want high failure rates in their college-level courses. If you want a definitive answer, I'd contact the mathematics department. I don't know if it's the autocorrect on your phone, but I'd make sure it's spelled "discrete" in your email. Discreet has sexual connotations.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free Coursera for Californians ashkir 8 2,823 5 minutes ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free cybersecurity training course, entry level cert, and candidate status through is MNomadic 18 4,005 04-13-2024, 03:50 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Free CUNY 1-credit course - “Bridges to Health Careers/Emerging Trend in Healthcare” ctcarl 9 2,200 02-27-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: jch
  University of South Carolina - Free Certificates in Hospitality Management Maniac Craniac 5 1,529 02-15-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: BadSquirrelBeta
  Resource: spreadsheet of free courses from Ivy League universities NatsNerd 3 655 02-09-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: NatsNerd
  Rutgers - Free Certificate in Leadership & No-Blame Problem Solving Maniac Craniac 5 1,795 02-05-2024, 05:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Free Community Health Worker certificate at Berkeley City College staceydiane 12 2,096 02-01-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Free Certificate in Public Health Practice (w/6 course completion certs) Maniac Craniac 10 1,813 01-30-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: MFG
  HP & EdX - FREE Professional Certificate in Esports Mgmt, Game Design & Programming Maniac Craniac 11 1,215 01-22-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free Coding Certificate + Stipend TINASAM 0 579 01-14-2024, 09:05 AM
Last Post: TINASAM