Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Statistics.com ? BS Data Science and Analytics TESU
Hello guys! I have a pretty basic question: How does statistics.com work exactly? 
Background: Essentially I have most of the Gen. Ed. requirements for TESU done and on an ACE transcript. I have yet to apply to TESU and I was originally planning on a Math Degree, but I found the Data Science degree and I think that would be more beneficial to me. 

The BS for Data Science and Analytics with TESU has basically all its course through statistics.com and I'm interested in potentially pursuing that rather than a BA in Math. What should I expect? Is it self-paced like SL or Sophia or is it like an actual class? How long are courses usually? Is it flexible? And if I were to do courses through them for TESU, could I put statistic.com's courses on a transcript with ACE and after I complete most of them, then apply to TESU? 

I'm not sure what exactly a wise course of action here would be, so any information or advice/tips would be super helpful and appreciated. Thank you!
If you read the stuff at statistics.com, these appear to be actual courses. I'm not sure how self-paced it is and I don't know if anyone here has actually gone that route. I was interested in this route myself, but I think you'd still have to pay TESU the tuition waiver. That makes it a rather expensive option. Probably worth it, if you're trying to get into that field, but not cheap either.
They are not self paced. If you look on the website you will see the courses have start and end dates. They are 4 weeks long I believe. They are also a lot more money than study.com, etc. The BS data science is expensive or at least more expensive than liberal studies.

People on this fourm have done that degree through.
(05-19-2020, 09:32 AM)abs_co Wrote: Hello guys! I have a pretty basic question: How does statistics.com work exactly? 
Background: Essentially I have most of the Gen. Ed. requirements for TESU done and on an ACE transcript. I have yet to apply to TESU and I was originally planning on a Math Degree, but I found the Data Science degree and I think that would be more beneficial to me. 

The BS for Data Science and Analytics with TESU has basically all its course through statistics.com and I'm interested in potentially pursuing that rather than a BA in Math. What should I expect? Is it self-paced like SL or Sophia or is it like an actual class? How long are courses usually? Is it flexible? And if I were to do courses through them for TESU, could I put statistic.com's courses on a transcript with ACE and after I complete most of them, then apply to TESU? 

I'm not sure what exactly a wise course of action here would be, so any information or advice/tips would be super helpful and appreciated. Thank you!

For all the AOS courses, they are 4 weeks long. It's not flexible, since you have to take them during the scheduled dates. 

You don't have a GPA associated with the courses, they all transfer in as CR, but there is no capstone. You send them to ACE and then they get counted towards your TESU AOS, so I don't see why this would be an issue. I enrolled with TESU first though so can't say for sure.

I managed to get all my statistics.com courses done between June 2019 and January 2020 so still doable within a shorter timeframe, and at one point I did take 4 courses at a time while working... but I wouldn't recommend this unless you have prior exposure. I was a bit burnt out after all this.
BS in Data Science & Analytics and BA in Computer Science and Mathematics at TESU (June 2019 to June 2020)
In-progress:
MS in Cybersecurity at NYU (January 2021 to December 2022?)
MCIT in Information Security and Assurance at NAU (September 2020 to March 2021)
Have you considered WGU instead?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-19-2020, 10:55 AM)amaquiling Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 09:32 AM)abs_co Wrote: Hello guys! I have a pretty basic question: How does statistics.com work exactly? 

For all the AOS courses, they are 4 weeks long. It's not flexible, since you have to take them during the scheduled dates. 

You don't have a GPA associated with the courses, they all transfer in as CR, but there is no capstone. You send them to ACE and then they get counted towards your TESU AOS, so I don't see why this would be an issue. I enrolled with TESU first though so can't say for sure.

I managed to get all my statistics.com courses done between June 2019 and January 2020 so still doable within a shorter timeframe, and at one point I did take 4 courses at a time while working... but I wouldn't recommend this unless you have prior exposure. I was a bit burnt out after all this.

Hi, did you already have work experience with statistics or data science? Were you working full time? What was the per course workload like?

I was considering doing the BS Data Science but it seemed like it would be difficult to manage while working full time, with no previous statistics / data science experience without adding a lot more time before my final graduation.
No work experience with data science and statistics specifically, but worked a lot with Python through summer research and work projects... not so much with R but it wasn’t too awful. If I’m not mistaken, there are classes in Excel you can choose to take if programming isn’t your strong suit, but in terms of scheduling so that you can graduate quickly, it may hold you back a bit. There was a SQL class and I have taken two SQL courses before I started and used it at work regularly. Also picked up on it in my free time so I wasn’t completely unfamiliar. I ended up sitting in on a graduate-level Data Mining course at a local university in my spare time, which helped with a few of my courses. I was working full-time the entire time.

Each course is 4 weeks long, one assignment per week plus a final assignment I believe. I definitely remember some of my assignments being pretty in-depth, but when I took the courses they were generous because they understood the needs of working individuals and allowed you to miss one assignment.

Might be a bit of a challenge without experience though. Not impossible, but you would definitely have to at least have some familiarity with Excel, coding or math.
BS in Data Science & Analytics and BA in Computer Science and Mathematics at TESU (June 2019 to June 2020)
In-progress:
MS in Cybersecurity at NYU (January 2021 to December 2022?)
MCIT in Information Security and Assurance at NAU (September 2020 to March 2021)
[-] The following 2 users Like amaquiling's post:
  • akr680, Kalpa
(05-28-2020, 06:15 AM)amaquiling Wrote: No work experience with data science and statistics specifically, but worked a lot with Python through summer research and work projects... not so much with R but it wasn’t too awful. If I’m not mistaken, there are classes in Excel you can choose to take if programming isn’t your strong suit, but in terms of scheduling so that you can graduate quickly, it may hold you back a bit. There was a SQL class and I have taken two SQL courses before I started and used it at work regularly. Also picked up on it in my free time so I wasn’t completely unfamiliar. I ended up sitting in on a graduate-level Data Mining course at a local university in my spare time, which helped with a few of my courses. I was working full-time the entire time.

Each course is 4 weeks long, one assignment per week plus a final assignment I believe. I definitely remember some of my assignments being pretty in-depth, but when I took the courses they were generous because they understood the needs of working individuals and allowed you to miss one assignment.

Might be a bit of a challenge without experience though. Not impossible, but you would definitely have to at least have some familiarity with Excel, coding or math.

How was the grading? Is there any final exam?
------------------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Speedrunning SDC Data Structures and Computer Architecture advice? Randyb100 15 704 04-09-2024, 06:36 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 357 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,896 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 694 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Searching for Fire Science Credits CGaboury 6 571 01-11-2024, 12:45 AM
  TESU Business/Society splirow 15 1,406 08-12-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Sophia US History for PUG as a Social Science requirement faresayari 5 664 05-20-2023, 08:15 PM
Last Post: faresayari
  SL Business Statistics - is the final open-book? AW84 5 618 02-21-2023, 12:49 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Current equivalency Sophia courses that will transfer to TESU Mccderm 3 878 01-06-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Mccderm
  SDC Presentation Skills Class NOT transferring to TESU?? ACI 4 710 12-22-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: ACI