Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline Programming in C++
Has any taken the Straighterline Programming in C++ course?
I took the course and would be happy to answer any questions you have.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
UptonSinclair Wrote:I took the course and would be happy to answer any questions you have.

I know I resurrected this thread from the dead, but how was the course? How long did it take you, with how many hours? Did you have prior knowledge in the subject? What would you subjectively rate its difficulty? Would you recommend SL over one of the Penn Foster programming courses??

I'm going for a BSBA and am considering CIS so this would be a requirement for me. Programming is an absolutely pain for me and it never "clicks" for me.
I have all the same questions you have! I like to know also
I took the class. I think I was one of the first people to take it as I found multiple errors in the tests and final. They did fix them and my grade as well which was cool. I finished the class in two weeks over the Christmas holiday. Not sure on the number of hours total though. I have been programming since the second grade and am active in 5 languages, however, this was my first time working in C. Some of the tasks were challenging because they work with simple language constructs which makes some tasks more tedious to program. That said, I asked the instructor if I could use more advanced things like dictionaries and they said go ahead and use what ever I knew how to use. Which made the tasks easier in the long run for me. I would say that if you have never programmed some of the test questions could be a challenge. They give you some code and ask you to find the syntax error. I even found this part somewhat challenging because I use IDE's and haven't had to search out my own syntax errors in years. The instructor was quick in grading and was helpful to any questions asked in the forum.

I don't know about Penn Fosters class but given my issues, or my wife's rather, with them I would not recommend them.
TESC BSBA CIS
WGU MS Information Security and Assurance

ALEKS
Intermediate Algebra - College Algebra - Intro to Stats

CLEP
A&I Lit - Principles of Management - Principles of Marketing - Business Law - Macro - Micro - Into to Sociology - SS & H - Humanities - English Comp

DSST
Principles of Supervision - Intro to computers - Intro to Business - MIS - Business Ethics - HR Management - Intro to Law Enforcement - Environment and Humanity - Tech Writing - Human Cultural Geography - Principles of Financial Accounting - Ethics in America - Principals of Finance

SL
Business Communications - Acct. II - Intro to C++

Penn Foster
Strategic Management

TESC
Networking Technologies - TECEP
Systems A and D

TEEX
Cyber Security for Everyone, IT Professionals

Microsoft
MS Virtualization - 70-659

Free-electives - Private Pilot
Since I knew programming, the C++ course from Straighterline was an easy course for me and didn't take too long to complete. ( Maybe a week or less, I do not remember exactly...) It had 8 written assignments where I had to submit tested workable code. It also had 4 graded quizzes, midterm and final ( final proctored through ProctorU). If you do not like programming and do not know C ++ to start with, it will be much better for you to take Penn Foster Intro to programming course, where you do not program actually , but write pseudocode. There is no proctored test in Penn Foster. They will send you a textbook for the course and you will need to install Visio.

I also took Saylor CS101 Introduction to Computer Science I ( NCCRS recommended) that, in my opinion, is somewhat similar to Straighterline C++, but in Java. You do not need to submit any code in the Saylor course and the final is a multiple choice test through ProctorU .

TESC trancribed the mentioned 3 courses as followed:

from Saylor - Introduction to computers COS 101( 3 credits)
from Straighterline - C++ programming COS-213 ( 4 credits)
from Penn Foster - Intro to Programming COS -111 (3 credits)

They put all 3 courses in area of study for BA in Computer Science.
lavagirl Wrote:Since I knew programming, the C++ course from Straighterline was an easy course for me and didn't take too long to complete. ( Maybe a week or less, I do not remember exactly...) It had 8 written assignments where I had to submit tested workable code. It also had 4 graded quizzes, midterm and final ( final proctored through ProctorU). If you do not like programming and do not know C ++ to start with, it will be much better for you to take Penn Foster Intro to programming course, where you do not program actually , but write pseudocode. There is no proctored test in Penn Foster. They will send you a textbook for the course and you will need to install Visio.

I also took Saylor CS101 Introduction to Computer Science I ( NCCRS recommended) that, in my opinion, is somewhat similar to Straighterline C++, but in Java. You do not need to submit any code in the Saylor course and the final is a multiple choice test through ProctorU .

TESC trancribed the mentioned 3 courses as followed:

from Saylor - Introduction to computers COS 101( 3 credits)
from Straighterline - C++ programming COS-213 ( 4 credits)
from Penn Foster - Intro to Programming COS -111 (3 credits)

They put all 3 courses in area of study for BA in Computer Science.

Lavagirl, in your opinion, what would be the best course for someone with zero computer science/programing background?
cookderosa Wrote:Lavagirl, in your opinion, what would be the best course for someone with zero computer science/programing background?

Penn Foster Intro to programming.
lavagirl Wrote:Penn Foster Intro to programming.

but don't you think that would be a little boring ?

"Penn Foster Intro to programming course, where you do not program actually , but write pseudocode."

the whole thing that makes programming fun is actually seeing something happen

even if it's just
---
Enter your name: lavagirl

Hello, lavagirl. Your name capitalized is LAVAGIRL.
---

simple, useless, but nice and motivating to see something actually happen

I would hate taking a programming course that was all pseudocode and never actually doing something

It would be like taking a database course and spending the whole time making visio diagrams
bluebooger Wrote:but don't you think that would be a little boring ?

"

I was asked the question,
" What would be the best course for someone with zero computer science/programming background? "

I do not know the motivation of the person, goals, dreams. I understood it as what would be the easiest way. If person is passionate about programming and computers - believe me, he/she wouldn't be starting with college course. My interest started with Linux/ open source. I was 12. Everybody has their own path. The person with zero computer knowledge starting with Straighterline C++ might decide that programming is too complicated and give up.

|

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 809 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 605 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Science plus lab alterantives for Study.com/StraighterLine echo64 6 1,052 06-18-2022, 01:27 PM
  StraighterLine - Success Stories bjcheung77 0 864 11-08-2021, 10:03 PM
  Straighterline Pharmacology 103 tyson14136 16 3,608 07-09-2021, 10:57 AM
Last Post: eLearner
  Is the Straighterline Biology Lab Kit Reusalble or Consumable? JaronB34 1 1,265 10-25-2020, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Lydclrk
Question From Social Work to Programming? louise 7 1,599 11-15-2019, 07:05 PM
Last Post: louise
Exclamation BS/BA Degree plan using ACE/Straighterline Credits breezy55 1 1,463 11-13-2019, 02:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Question Straighterline Business Statistics Tips Bunii 3 2,691 07-12-2019, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Bunii
  Straighterline Spanish 1 Amyfaith 5 2,684 03-05-2019, 11:43 AM