Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Straighterline to Excelsior
I'm an EC alumni and I just had the credits applied to my transcript via a transcript update under unapplied credit, then I sent the transcript to another college that I'm currently attending for another BS degree. EC accepted the SL courses and gave me graded credit on the transcript then my other school accepted the credits off the EC transcript and applied them to my BS degree at their school. I didn't need to send an ACE transcript. I just wanted everyone to know that EC will give graded credit for SL courses and that alumni can have the credits added to your transcript via an update. It took about 3 weeks and cost $25, plus the $12 per transcipt charge.
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
That is good news! I was always under the impression EC gave Pass/Fail for SL courses. This could be a game changer for me, might do an associates with EC and finish my BA at TESC.

Certification (ACA) University of Central Florida
B.A. (Social Sciences) Thomas Edison State University
Ace_King Wrote:That is good news! I was always under the impression EC gave Pass/Fail for SL courses. This could be a game changer for me, might do an associates with EC and finish my BA at TESC.

The grading of SL courses is an interesting development. Just a heads up - a lot, if not all, associate degrees require a capstone course at EC now.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Yep! That will hurt my pocket a bit. But if it's worth it I might go ahead and do it.

Because I knew EC graded Penn Foster (ACE approved) courses for letter grades, but now Straighterline is great! I have around 45 credits with Straighterline and 60 credits with Penn Foster, I can try to get an associates from EC that can give me a GPA on mostly every credit. Than finish with a BA at TESC that will most likely just give me credit just for that new "capstone" course.

I would of chosen EC for my bachelors, however they didn't offer a major I was interested in and they didn't give me upper level credit for my lower level courses. Hence the reason I went with TESC for the bachelors. The GPA was a deciding factor as well but everyone kept telling me "if you apply to grad school your going to have to send transcripts from everywhere you attended". I was originally just going to get a BA in Social Sciences at TESC but I can add an associates maybe in business on my resume from EC that actually has letter grades throughout all the 60 credits.

NAP Wrote:The grading of SL courses is an interesting development. Just a heads up - a lot, if not all, associate degrees require a capstone course at EC now.
It is indeed! I was going to CLEP out of a few classes, but I am now considering the option of taking a few more SL classes. Having grades instead of pass/fail exams looks much better in a transcript.

Ace_King Wrote:Because I knew EC graded Penn Foster (ACE approved) courses for letter grades, but now Straighterline is great! I have around 45 credits with Straighterline and 60 credits with Penn Foster, I can try to get an associates from EC that can give me a GPA on mostly every credit. Than finish with a BA at TESC that will most likely just give me credit just for that new "capstone" course.

I would of chosen EC for my bachelors, however they didn't offer a major I was interested in and they didn't give me upper level credit for my lower level courses. Hence the reason I went with TESC for the bachelors. The GPA was a deciding factor as well but everyone kept telling me "if you apply to grad school your going to have to send transcripts from everywhere you attended". I was originally just going to get a BA in Social Sciences at TESC but I can add an associates maybe in business on my resume from EC that actually has letter grades throughout all the 60 credits.
I plan to apply to graduate school too, and receiving grades for transferred credit was the main factor that made me choose EC. I just thought that having 90% of classes with pass/fail grades at TESC would make me have to respond to too many questions. However, my problem is probably linked to the fact that I will apply to grad school in Europe, and pass/fail classes are really uncommon in some countries here.
Exactly. That's the problem with the Pass/Fail. I'm only worried about grad school about the Pass/Fail situation. Rarely employers won't ask for a transcript. Majority of employers have some sort of agency to confirm the credentials of the individual applying.

Okay it's 8:30 P.M I need to get these fireworks started, LOL!

Ace King - That sounds like a good plan; I hope it works out for you. With so many graded credits, you may be eligible for Honors, too.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Be sure to triple-check the SL grading situation at EC. I just asked an advisor and was told it is still pass/fail. I don't know what think. Is Marianne's transcript different because she has already graduated and isn't enrolled? Or is this a new policy and it isn't common knowledge yet?

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

NAP, I was just as shocked when I saw the grades. I have since requested a transcript letter from SL because my ACE transcript didn't reflect a grade so I'm curious as to where EC came up with my grades. You could be right that since EC isn't granting me credit they are just acting as a transcription service that could be where the grades came, they just listed what SL sent them as a partner school. I do know that the credits were still evaluated and posted by an advisor and not by the registrars office even though I'm not enrolled. It took them weeks for the advisor to post them and I was quite upset since they said it would only take 4-5 days. I will also tell you that when I completed my SL courses and had them sent, EC still hadn't decided how they would be applied, so SL and EC couldn't tell me at the time, so when I finally got my transcript it was all a surprise! I happy surprise, but a surprise nonetheless! I hope this can work out for others too.
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
Hi Marianne. Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, lol.

A friend of mine who graduated at EC, says this will only work for the credit bank "one transcript" service? EC won't do this on the transcript one graduated from.

Just to make sure was this a credit bank "one transcript" or your original transcript?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,830 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,176 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,925 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,294 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 964 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,265 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,776 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,220 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior College ranked #1 Life Long Learning 11 3,394 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Last Post: miah
  Quick Question about Excelsior hsfamfun 5 1,860 06-21-2018, 03:05 PM
Last Post: radconjohn