Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Strategic Management TECEP
i mean there are countless sections that have lists. just one example that i'm studying now. it has 7 bullet points for "signs managment is truly committed to instilling a new culture."

are these 7 bullets.. what you mean by a list? or something more substantial than that. like the five-forces model, being a list.

or again a few pages later an example:

"in general, leading the drive for good strategy execution and operating excellence calls for three actions on the part of the manager-in-charge:

*Staying on top of what is happening and closely monitoring progress.

*Putting constructive pressure on the organization to execute the strategy well and achieve operating excellence

*Initiating corrective actions to improve strategy execution and achieve the targeted performance results."

surely you dont mean these as lists right??

or again this:

"Success in making corrective actions hinges on 1) a thorough analysis of the situation. 2) the exercise of good business judment in dciding what actions tot ake ,and 3) good implementation of the corrective actions that are initiated"

there are innumerable examples like this. When everyone on here is stressing to study the lists.. do you mean lists like the above?
Moat Wrote:i mean there are countless sections that have lists. just one example that i'm studying now. it has 7 bullet points for "signs managment is truly committed to instilling a new culture."

are these 7 bullets.. what you mean by a list? or something more substantial than that. like the five-forces model, being a list.

"in general, leading the drive for good strategy execution and operating excellence calls for three actions on the part of the manager-in-charge:

*Putting constructive pressure on the organization to execute the strategy well and achieve operating excellence

*Initiating corrective actions to improve strategy execution and achieve the targeted performance results."

or again this:

"Success in making corrective actions hinges on 1) a thorough analysis of the situation. 2) the exercise of good business judment in dciding what actions tot ake ,and 3) good implementation of the corrective actions that are initiated"

there are innumerable examples like this. When everyone on here is stressing to study the lists.. do you mean lists like the above?

I can't speak on the Strategic Management exam because I haven't taken it yet but I have taken other TECEP exams with essays including Business in Society. Yes, lists like this are what the essays are about. Be ready to define the bullet points, give arguments for and against (these arguments are in the texts) and discuss. Although the TECEPs don't ask for specific examples I sometimes read the company info/case studies to fully understand situations I may not have run across during my career. It enables me to form a more fully realized answer during the essays.

You can do this!
-Dina
DBA - researching options currently (if you have any wisdom to share, please do!)
MBA - Management & Strategy, WGU, July 2016
BSBA - Operations Management, TESU, Sept. 2015
AAS - Dietetic Technology, Middlesex County College, May 1999
two hours away.

i'm able to get 60% on the flashcard sets consistently. the essays are the only thing worrying me.
Moat Wrote:i mean there are countless sections that have lists. just one example that i'm studying now. it has 7 bullet points for "signs managment is truly committed to instilling a new culture."

or again this:

They can pull it from all that you've listed (bullets, lists, numbered sections, tables/graphs, etc); I compared what I had with the feedback I've seen here, and other than knowing that they were discussed in the test description, not everyone's exams matched exactly; I couldn't find feedback on two of the essay questions I had, but I was confident that the textbook covered it.
Moat Wrote:two hours away.

i'm able to get 60% on the flashcard sets consistently. the essays are the only thing worrying me.

I would have spent more time preparing for this exam. It is a capstone exam not the general DSST/CLEP; but too late now. Hopefully you are one of those who have great memory retention and will do well. It took me much longer to study and I still found it difficult. We are all so differnt it's hard to make a call on something like this. If you feel you were ready that's what counts. I've not seen the flashcards on this exam so could not give any insight as to whether they would help with the essay portion. I will say if you get a higher number of correct answers on the MC section due to the flashcards, you have better odds of passing as the essays are allowed partial credit. So even if you dont' know all the steps of an answer jot down what you do know and elaborate vs leaving that section blank.

Again, good luck to you!

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
bricabrac Wrote:I would have spent more time preparing for this exam. It is a capstone exam not the general DSST/CLEP; but too late now. Hopefully you are one of those who have great memory retention and will do well. It took me much longer to study and I still found it difficult. We are all so differnt it's hard to make a call on something like this. If you feel you were ready that's what counts. I've not seen the flashcards on this exam so could not give any insight as to whether they would help with the essay portion. I will say if you get a higher number of correct answers on the MC section due to the flashcards, you have better odds of passing as the essays are allowed partial credit. So even if you dont' know all the steps of an answer jot down what you do know and elaborate vs leaving that section blank.

Again, good luck to you!

i dont think i passed. maybe if the grader is nice- i'd say i got likely at least 25 pts in multiple choice. Of the 5 five-point short answers, I'd say I if i'm lucky i got 15 points. for the three essays. hm. at best: 20 pts .. so it really comes down to one or two multiple choice answers. I just dont know- i'll def come back when i have a grade.

and i actually didnt realize it was a capstone class until yesterday from reading this forum lol. i'm just taking it as a business elective because it was available as a test. i'd say total time spent studying was 12 hours. I managed to read the whole book in this time (minus the case studies), but i agree this is just too much to retain in one day. I could have put it off a few more days, but i knew i wouldnt have the opportunity i did today to really bear down into it. so i figured, while its fresh i might as well give it a go.

as far as the flashcards go, they were helpful in terms of memory, but not helpful at all towards the essay or short answers. let's hope i have some luck.
based on that math i'd need at least 7 points in each essay. do they grade like that? or is it 15, 10, or 5?? because if thats the case- no way i passed.
Moat Wrote:based on that math i'd need at least 7 points in each essay. do they grade like that? or is it 15, 10, or 5?? because if thats the case- no way i passed.

I have no idea how they grade for partial credit, just that it is awarded.

Since you really didn't need this class you can easily take another much easier business elective if you did not pass.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
has anyone taken a tecep test twice? i wonder if its identical.

i see on the tesc website, you're allowed 1 second attempt.
bricabrac Wrote:Since you really didn't need this class you can easily take another much easier business elective if you did not pass.

^ This is the route to go if you don't pass. There are quite a few much, much easier business TECEPs from what I've gathered by reading some older discussions on this topic. Specifically, the ones that are all multiple choice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  booking tecep exams shendaddy 4 1,753 08-16-2018, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  TECEP - do I have to wait until the start of a Term to take the exam? Kelly Green 4 1,996 08-16-2018, 09:04 AM
  TESU - apply as non-matriculating student, or TECEP only? Kelly Green 0 1,175 08-13-2018, 05:11 PM
  TECEP - Learning in the Digital Age - where does it fit? dfrecore 5 1,808 08-10-2018, 01:02 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  BSBA Gen Management TESU or Accounting Help LoanGunman 2 1,485 08-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Last Post: LoanGunman
  Environmental Ethics ETH-210-TE Tecep jawbreakingrr 57 17,548 07-25-2018, 12:31 PM
Last Post: ashtonnewman
  Suggested TECEP's? High Pass Rate? omuneek 2 1,718 06-26-2018, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Failed Advertising TECEP nerd 12 3,200 06-18-2018, 04:01 PM
Last Post: nerd
  Error after submitting TECEP test nerd 4 1,872 06-16-2018, 01:13 PM
Last Post: Cheeseburrito
  TECEP to meet residency requirement Dowew 2 1,524 06-12-2018, 01:14 AM
Last Post: Dowew