Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study abroad
Hi all,

Has anyone here ever investigated studying abroad as an alternative to US school?    I don't mean a single semester or a degree (like mine) that is done in collaboration with a foreign school. 

My DD has expressed interest in doing a master's degree abroad.    We have always made the agreement with her that we would fund her undergrad and she needs to pay for the rest.    So, my guess is that she would need at least some student loans, but with her career plan, she would definitely get her ROI if the cost weren't too unreasonable.

Anyhow, I don't mind doing the research, but I thought I'd check to see if anyone here already had some thoughts.

Thanks!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
What language?

What I've heard about Europe is that the schools are free or inexpensive, it's the cost of living that is very high. So I think it depends on where she wants to go - if she's looking at German, that will have different options than Spanish (which will open up schools in Central & Latin America where it's far cheaper to live).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-07-2018, 06:50 PM)dfrecore Wrote: What language?

What I've heard about Europe is that the schools are free or inexpensive, it's the cost of living that is very high.  So I think it depends on where she wants to go - if she's looking at German, that will have different options than Spanish (which will open up schools in Central & Latin America where it's far cheaper to live).

Right now, we would have to assume English, though she will have a second language by the time she finishes her undergrad.   

I was hoping for Spain based on preferred accent to learn and cost of living, but I just don't think her Spanish will be ready.  Latin America is possible, but I'm concerned about safety issues unless she wants Uruguay or Costa Rica.  

If she could get a US loan for the school then I think it could make it more manageable...  I just wonder if that's viable.  Unless the school is very expensive, it still could end up cheaper than grad school in the US.  I think anyhow.. this is all new to me.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
(10-07-2018, 08:23 PM)burbuja0512 Wrote:
(10-07-2018, 06:50 PM)dfrecore Wrote: What language?

What I've heard about Europe is that the schools are free or inexpensive, it's the cost of living that is very high.  So I think it depends on where she wants to go - if she's looking at German, that will have different options than Spanish (which will open up schools in Central & Latin America where it's far cheaper to live).

Right now, we would have to assume English, though she will have a second language by the time she finishes her undergrad.   

I was hoping for Spain based on preferred accent to learn and cost of living, but I just don't think her Spanish will be ready.  Latin America is possible, but I'm concerned about safety issues unless she wants Uruguay or Costa Rica.  

If she could get a US loan for the school then I think it could make it more manageable...  I just wonder if that's viable.  Unless the school is very expensive, it still could end up cheaper than grad school in the US.  I think anyhow.. this is all new to me.

I think there are schools that are set up to get US-based loans in Europe.  Like I said, the problem isn't going to be the cost of the schools, as they are VERY cheap in Europe.  It's the cost of living that's pricey.  And that part will also depend on what her status is - if she is married, it will be much more expensive due to needing an apartment, plus her spouse would need to get a work visa.  If she's single, renting a room or getting a roommate may make it a lot less expensive.

I know for sure there are programs where all of the classes are in English, in multiple countries.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • burbuja0512
Here's a place you can start your research -- especially if she is needing to finance her education through loans: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/prepare-for...ernational

Hopefully she will also qualify for some educational tax credits by going to a school that issues a 1098-T (as in schools who accept federal aid)
[-] The following 2 users Like triforce828's post:
  • burbuja0512, sanantone
Great info - thanks so much! She is working now so can start to save for cost of living. I also remember that my student loan for my MBA covered more than just the actual cost of the class. I could have gotten a lot more $$ if I had wanted to.... wonder if it's the same. NOT that I want her to have more debt, just to see all the options.

I'll check the site. Thanks! Smile
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
There are many masters programs in English language in Germany. Get information at http://www.daad.de. No tuition, only about 300 Euros per semester in fees, and potentially government aid (50% interest-free loan, 50% free money) available. Good luck!
(10-16-2018, 10:33 AM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: There are many masters programs in English language in Germany. Get information at http://www.daad.de. No tuition, only about 300 Euros per semester in fees, and potentially government aid (50% interest-free loan, 50% free money) available. Good luck!

OOOOH  thank you!  Checking out right now!
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Yeah, she can get loans for foreign schools in basically the same way as for U.S. schools. I'm not sure what percentage of foreign schools take the U.S. loans, but there would be plenty of options. The foreign schools would most likely not have scholarships or certain other benefits for the American students.

Be sure to look at the international rates. They can be a lot more than the domestic student rates, and I've made this mistake, because in many other countries their credits are so different. So for undergrad I thought I could take their per-credit rate and multiply by 120, but no. It was more like 480 credits for what I was looking at.

Yes, that is true. For example, in the Netherlands it only costs 300 Euros for citizens of any EU country, but for other citizens outside the EU it costs 2000 Euros per semester. I think Germany does not charge an increased fee for citizens from outside the EU, but I could be wrong. Still cheap from an American perspective. In general, the fee per semester is the same for every student regardless of the number of courses taken. So you could have a light load or a heavy load, but pay the same per semester. When I wrote about government aid to study in Germany, I meant aid that comes from the German government ("Bafoeg"). I don't know the details of eligibility, but it is need-based. If you have worked for more than 6 years after high school, they look at YOUR income and net worth. If you have less than 7500 Euros net worth and basically no income while you study, you might get up to 750 Euros per month from the German government, half of which is an interest-free loan and half of which is free money. If you are within 6 years after high school graduation, they look not at your income but your parents' income. They do NOT look at your parents' net worth. Roughly, if your parents make less than 2000 Euros per month, you might get that same rate of aid. The calculation is complex, this is just a general idea of the numbers.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humans may be fueling global warming by breathing: new study LevelUP 9 583 02-21-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: MichaelGates
  Study.Com student or teacher login? acamp 6 756 03-29-2023, 06:27 AM
Last Post: acamp
  A Conversation About Inflation, Life Abroad, and Education Kal Di 0 532 05-31-2022, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Kal Di
  3 Ways to Achieve Financial Security Abroad Kal Di 2 588 05-15-2022, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Kal Di
  Question how to study for exam Imbanewbie 3 1,603 02-28-2020, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  US vs foreign tech workers (moved from Study.com New CS Courses) armstrongsubero 17 2,404 12-14-2018, 07:09 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Hunger And Homelessness Are Widespread Among College Students, Study Finds allvia 2 1,862 04-05-2018, 07:18 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Study of Georgia Tech OMSCS shows solid success davewill 2 1,539 03-20-2018, 10:50 AM
Last Post: davewill
  US Masters CBE While Traveling Abroad[Long Post] yb1 7 2,674 01-09-2018, 01:45 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  Anybody got recommendations for study tools for the LSAT? Nerdymcnerdface 5 2,251 08-07-2017, 11:33 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77