Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com Course with 137 Quizzes taking ridiculously long
I completed 15 classes through Sophia and just started to take some credits through SDC. I am taking Business 101 and it has 137 quizzes. This is killing me. How do people finish these SDC classes fast? I am transferring my credits to WGU for an IT Management degree and I’m wondering if I should just start WGU. I will finish this study course since I paid for the month but between this and my Sophia English 2 class which I’m halfway through I feel like I’m in a huge lag and wasting time. The Sophia course is taking over 7 days for the papers to be graded but I’m halfway through so sticking it out.
Currently:
UCA (University of Central Arkansas) Ph.D. Change Leadership for Equity and Inclusion 

Completed:
WGU MSML
TAMUC BAAS Org Leadership
PMP, CSM, CSPO, Google Project Management Certificate
Sophia 19 Classes | Study.com 12 Classes
(12-21-2021, 06:46 PM)mohelena02 Wrote: I completed 15 classes through Sophia and just started to take some credits through SDC. I am taking Business 101 and it has 137 quizzes. This is killing me. How do people finish these SDC classes fast? I am transferring my credits to WGU for an IT Management degree and I’m wondering if I should just start WGU. I will finish this study course since I paid for the month but between this and my Sophia English 2 class which I’m halfway through I feel like I’m in a huge lag and wasting time. The Sophia course is taking over 7 days for the papers to be graded but I’m halfway through so sticking it out.
Take the placement test and it can knock out many quizzes if you know your stuff
Purdue Global, BS IT 

Method:
  • Sophia (13 courses) 
  • Study.com (5 courses
  • W3Schools (PHP Certification)
  • Purdue Global ExcelTrack (2 terms)
[-] The following 1 user Likes ClockworkHammer's post:
  • Pikachu
(12-21-2021, 06:49 PM)ClockworkHammer Wrote:
(12-21-2021, 06:46 PM)mohelena02 Wrote: I completed 15 classes through Sophia and just started to take some credits through SDC. I am taking Business 101 and it has 137 quizzes. This is killing me. How do people finish these SDC classes fast? I am transferring my credits to WGU for an IT Management degree and I’m wondering if I should just start WGU. I will finish this study course since I paid for the month but between this and my Sophia English 2 class which I’m halfway through I feel like I’m in a huge lag and wasting time. The Sophia course is taking over 7 days for the papers to be graded but I’m halfway through so sticking it out.
Take the placement test and it can knock out many quizzes if you know your stuff
Thank you! I have and it gave me 24% completion but it’s still tedious to do 100+ tests - I know the information I have 15+ years work experience in management
Currently:
UCA (University of Central Arkansas) Ph.D. Change Leadership for Equity and Inclusion 

Completed:
WGU MSML
TAMUC BAAS Org Leadership
PMP, CSM, CSPO, Google Project Management Certificate
Sophia 19 Classes | Study.com 12 Classes
Yeah, with alternative credit, you'll have to "tough" it out and just get it done and over with. I usually just go through it the best I can, I skip the videos and straight to the quizzes and then the final exam (the quizzes are generally close to 100% anyways), then work on assignments last. Don't think of it being tedious, think of it as a review, to recall the info... and in the back of my mind, I remind myself, it's cheaper, easier, faster than taking a regular college course anywhere!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 3 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • DanielT1988, mohelena02, Pikachu
Bear in mind that each SDC quiz is like the questions in each Sophia Challenge. Many Sophia courses have as many, or more, questions as SDC courses do. It just seems like SDC has more because of how Sophia breaks up each unit. It's mostly psychological.

Example: Business Law has 11 challenges with a total of 61*3 questions. Sometimes, you can pass by answering just one question. Sometimes, you don't pass that section even if you answer all of the questions correctly. Plus, there are the Milestones. While open book, they can also be difficult and/or time-consuming. You may just be struggling because the concepts are new. Remember, if you prefer reading, you don't have to watch the SDC videos at all. And reading can be quicker than watching a 3-8 minute video on each topic.

Sophia's English Comp courses have a reputation here for being a monster. We don't generally advise students to take them because of how long they can take to complete. I'm not surprised you're feeling stuck if you're also completing English Comp II at the same time.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • mohelena02, Pikachu

It's your first course so you don't have any overlap yet.  Wait until you take the next business course and you will see many of the modules are repeats so you will already have credit for them.  That is when SDC will really start to shine and you will start turboing through classes.
[-] The following 2 users Like tallpilot's post:
  • mohelena02, Pikachu
(12-21-2021, 07:29 PM)tallpilot Wrote:

It's your first course so you don't have any overlap yet.  Wait until you take the next business course and you will see many of the modules are repeats so you will already have credit for them.  That is when SDC will really start to shine and you will start turboing through classes.

Very good point.
(12-21-2021, 07:29 PM)tallpilot Wrote:

Agreed - if you were to take all of the TESU BSBA Core, and then the AoS through Study.com, you would really start to see advancement as you went.  Each course you finished makes multiple upcoming courses shorter.  If you plan it out right, you can really get a lot done quickly later.  For instance, if you take International Business and Marketing, then Globalization and International Management and Global Marketing are really short.  Taking Financial Accounting & Managerial Accounting makes Intermediate Accounting I & II shorter, and then Applied Accounting really short.

This is a major benefit to Study.com.

The best thing to do is the core, and then start looking at courses that are similar to those and open them up and see how many quizzes are already completed.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 4 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • mohelena02, MrPanda, Pikachu, uncapentin
Some Study.com courses have like 50 quizzes, some have 200. It takes as long as it takes

The biggest benefits to Study.com are 1) they have an app, and 2) duplicate material is filled in on other courses. The more courses you take from them, the bigger benefit #2 turns into. I have had courses be completely filled in by others so that all I had to do was take the final.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 2 users Like jsh1138's post:
  • mohelena02, rachel83az
(12-23-2021, 08:51 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: Some Study.com courses have like 50 quizzes, some have 200. It takes as long as it takes

The biggest benefits to Study.com are 1) they have an app, and 2) duplicate material is filled in on other courses. The more courses you take from them, the bigger benefit #2 turns into. I have had courses be completely filled in by others so that all I had to do was take the final.

I'd love to know what those courses were !

(12-21-2021, 06:58 PM)mohelena02 Wrote:
(12-21-2021, 06:49 PM)ClockworkHammer Wrote:
Thank you! I have and it gave me 24% completion but it’s still tedious to do 100+ tests - I know the information I have 15+ years work experience in management
  I feel you on so many levels. I am slogging through Bio 101 currently and that is an accurate description ! I feel like I will never get done and don't ever feel like doing it. The placement tests are awesome if one is available and if it keeps showing like you can take it again, do so
as it's also good for learning correct answers to questions. I've taken one three times before. Do the quizzes only, take notes on questions answered wrong and retake. Usually a quiz is 5 min or less, often only 1 min. Your business classes have overlap as do others I'm sure so when you look at other courses, you could see that many lessons are completed already because of the overlap in content. That helps a ton
. Sophia looks different and the dashboard makes it look like you're really making progree. I prefer that format. I keep reminding myself that having the ability to binge and do many lessons at one sitting is far better than waiting through weeks of a traditional course. Good luck !
[-] The following 1 user Likes uncapentin's post:
  • mohelena02

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,313 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,477 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,660 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 600 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 968 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,811 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 552 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 279 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue
  Study.com vs Sophia - Time to complete RachelB 2 682 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM