Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com Finance & Digital Marketing
Has anyone taken Principles of Finance (FIN 101) or Digital Marketing and Advertising (BUS 309) from Study.com? Any feedback? I am nervous about Finance.

Also- is Study.com like SL (cumulative score including quizzes and final) or like Saylor (final is the only score that “counts”) Thanks
MBA- WGU, in progress 2018
BSBA- TESU, Sep. 2017

kalishakti Wrote:Has anyone taken Principles of Finance (FIN 101) or Digital Marketing and Advertising (BUS 309) from Study.com? Any feedback? I am nervous about Finance.

Also- is Study.com like SL (cumulative score including quizzes and final) or like Saylor (final is the only score that “counts”Wink Thanks

I took and passed Principles of Finance with an overall score of 86%. On that class in particular you get 50 points for getting a 100 on all quizzes (you should do this) and then the final is out of 100 points. You need 105 total points combined to get credit. So a 100 on the quizzes and a 55 on the final and your done. The upper level courses generally have a project involved and 300 total possible points for the course. I am waiting to take my Advanced Accounting I proctored exam at some point today it should become available. On that course I got a 100 on all the quizzes (so 100 points) an 85 on the project (so up to 185 points) I will need a 25 on the final to get credit.

To answer your questions the scoring is closer to SL then Saylor. However Study.com you can't possibly go into the final without needing to get at least some questions right. I know SL has courses you can go into the final needing 0 points to pass.

Principles of Finance : this course was much harder than Personal Finance, however its not to bad. Do the lessons in order, take notes on stuff you don't know. If you have any prior knowledge on stocks/bonds and that type stuff you will be ahead of the game a bit. Also if you have done your Financial Accounting (Accounting I) you will already be good on a few chapters.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
kalishakti Wrote:Has anyone taken Principles of Finance (FIN 101) or Digital Marketing and Advertising (BUS 309) from Study.com? Any feedback? I am nervous about Finance.

Also- is Study.com like SL (cumulative score including quizzes and final) or like Saylor (final is the only score that “counts”) Thanks

Haha this is funny. I took History 108 Vientam war and Globalization and Organization management last month.

This month I am taking these exact courses, Principles of Finance and Digital Marketing.

I'd say just go for it. If you get 100 on all the quizzes, you need a 55% to pass, which isn't bad.
I considered taking the Penn Foster course(Financial Management), but I got a bad vibe from it because it is a Nationally accredited place and the final is unproctored(no offense to anyone that took it).

What I'm really enjoying about Study.com - although everyone learns differently - is that by having to take a quiz after each lesson(and making sure to get 100%) you reinforce the ideas from that lesson in your mind.
Also, each lesson afterwards progressively adds more terms but also defines old term again, so you get even more reinforcement.

Good luck and have fun learning Smile
Started Sept. 2016 -Thomas Edison State Univeristy - BSBA - Marketing 120/120 DONE
ACE/ALT 41 CR
TECEP: 15 CR
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra l College Algebra l Statistics l
The Institutes: Ethics
Saylor: Principles of Marketing
Straighterline: American Government l Intro to Religion l Principles of Management l English Comp II l
Study.com : Business 308 l History 108 l Principles of Finance l Digital Marketing
CSU CBE: Market Research l
TECEP: Strategic Management l  Public relations l Advertising l Sales Mgmt l Marketing Comm
Community College B&M Courses (2013-2015) 64 CR General Ed. and Business
Short-term Objective: TESU BSBA in Marketing by Sept. 2017 (DONE!) Graduating in June
Long-term Objective: Career in marketing then eventually MBA or MSC in Marketing later on  
TESUAbroad Wrote:I considered taking the Penn Foster course(Financial Management), but I got a bad vibe from it because it is a Nationally accredited place and the final is unproctored(no offense to anyone that took it).

It is also more expensive compared to Study.com's fee for 2 exams. Thanks for the info
MBA- WGU, in progress 2018
BSBA- TESU, Sep. 2017

How are you liking the digital marketing course? I'm thinking of taking it.

TESUAbroad Wrote:Haha this is funny. I took History 108 Vientam war and Globalization and Organization management last month.

This month I am taking these exact courses, Principles of Finance and Digital Marketing.

I'd say just go for it. If you get 100 on all the quizzes, you need a 55% to pass, which isn't bad.
I considered taking the Penn Foster course(Financial Management), but I got a bad vibe from it because it is a Nationally accredited place and the final is unproctored(no offense to anyone that took it).

What I'm really enjoying about Study.com - although everyone learns differently - is that by having to take a quiz after each lesson(and making sure to get 100%) you reinforce the ideas from that lesson in your mind.
Also, each lesson afterwards progressively adds more terms but also defines old term again, so you get even more reinforcement.

Goal: TESU BSBA - GEN. MGMT.

Straighterline
Intro to Religion 98%
Business Ethics 89%
Business Law 82%
Cultural Anthropology 96%
Environmental Science 92%
Intro to Nutrition 90%

DSST

Business Ethics and Society - 460
Technical writing - 441
Criminal Justice - 458

Coursework: UAA Anchorage GPA 3.66
ENG 109
ENG 111
PSY 150
TESUAbroad Wrote:What I'm really enjoying about Study.com - although everyone learns differently - is that by having to take a quiz after each lesson(and making sure to get 100%) you reinforce the ideas from that lesson in your mind.

I also really like the changes study.com made. Everyone (without an eidetic memory) benefits from some level of repetition but I also appreciate the video lessons and/or written material. People learn differently, visual/audible/kinesthetic and there format provides more choices for more types of learners and reinforcement

P.S. The "flashcards" are handy now as well, would be cool if they had decks for Anki

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,369 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,600 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,510 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 363 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 754 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 365 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,032 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,906 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 593 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 313 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue