Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com New CS Courses
(10-23-2018, 10:34 PM)MNomadic Wrote: I counted 17 "up and coming" CS courses on SDC that look to be headed toward college accelerator(this is obviously just my guess based on the course titles). So it looks like they may have some serious plans for providing an entire AOS for CS, cyber security, and IT degrees in the coming years. I couldn't find anything indicating a future linear algebra course, though.

I would probably do 4-5 Cybersecurity courses at Study.com if they would let me get a TESU Cybersecurity certificate. If I haven't graduated already by that time.

(12-10-2018, 09:11 AM)posabsolute Wrote: I just finished the quizzes for discrete math (studying for the exam 1 or 2 days), this course really felt all over the place, there are sections that could be part of a high school math class, the matrices section is so basic it's not even funny.

It's start kind of hard, then it becomes easy, then you have a small section at the end that takes you back a notch in complexity. The matrices section has videos, but some of the complex stuff does not. I would venture to guess some sections are coming from other math courses.

I would be curious to know how someone that did a full Discrete Math course feels about this one.

Did you take the exam? How was it?

I agree, this course is odd and jumps around. I feel like I don't like this one instructor (writer). It seems like he's assuming way more prior knowledge than the other Study.com writers do. The other writers explain from start to finish but his style seems almost like a review. Or maybe it's me, but I feel most of the other writers really make it clear. I want videos on this portion.

Well to be fair discrete math is a 200 level math course that assumes a bit of mathematical maturity.

This course also assumes you know programming.

Its also much easier than discrete math I saw in some textbooks.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

I'm not complaining about the level, but the inconsistency. I feel like certain writers are very different from others, and then those lacked videos. I'm not sure it's the writers' faults either. I think they had a more complex topic that should have been given more space. But I am a big fan of Study.com and at least 80% is consistent.

(12-13-2018, 06:38 PM)Ideas Wrote: I'm not complaining about the level, but the inconsistency. I feel like certain writers are very different from others, and then those lacked videos. I'm not sure it's the writers' faults either. I think they had a more complex topic that should have been given more space. But I am a big fan of Study.com and at least 80% is consistent.

The inconsistency often comes from the fact that there are different authors for each lesson. In my experience, if you are taking a course that is primarily based on content from a single author, then you'll tend to see more consistency. When you're taking a course that has a dozen different authors, you'll see more redundancy and inconsistency in approach. It gets hairy when you have content that doesn't agree because of slightly different perspectives of the authors. You can usually see the author's name at the top of each lesson.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Yep. Remember that long before it was study.com and had ACE/NCCRS courses it was called education portal and just had a large library of educational cartoons probably geared more towards high school students. They recycle old videos as much as they can and just patch together courses at times. That's why some courses end up having a lot of overlap.

I haven't done discreet math yet, though I probably will in the future, so I'm not sure how many lessons are newly written specifically for that course and how many are recycled from other courses.
What prerequisite knowledge is assumed for discreet math?
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Most college courses seem to have no prerequisites.

Well on SDC there is no prerequs listed. But I mean you should at least have done precalc and a lottle programming since the course is cs foused it definatley helps. Else you may get through tbe course but wont know anything, one vuy on here managed to pass but was making random guesses at one point.

That will bite them though, if you are going to do a formal algorithms class those tree stuff is essential.

A formal college class in discrete math recommends at least precalc based on what I've seen.

I cant see soneone who struggles with algebra passing most sections of the couse.

Then again you can guess your way through like one guy did, then they will wonder why they suck at the real CS stuff.

If you want to understand AI, Robotics, algorithms or programming FPGAs and other real hardcore CS stuff beyond building websites and using libraries you should really take time to learn the stuff in this course and this is from my experience.

If you want to build websites and apps or just get a piece of paper by all means guess your way through like someone here did.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 1 user Likes armstrongsubero's post:
  • Sapientes
I just passed the exam, it was in the most difficult exams I did at SDC, I would compare it to applied managerial accounting in terms of difficulty.

That being said, I didn’t study enough, I basically did the practice tests for all the sections and went for it. I got taken by surprise a couple of time in the exam. In total, I spent 2 weeks on the course. In general, an 80+ quiz course I would do in 1 week.

I think most people can have a high mark with a couple of nights of study. Even understanding the Algebra and programming stuff, you can youtube your way to get more background information on those.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
Well, that's a little passive-aggressive, anyway, I was responding to Ideas about the test difficulty.

Congrats to you for finding your passion, you are on a degree forum, are you surprised that this forum is mostly about the mechanics of the courses? Maybe try a forum about CS?

It's kind of funny that the first AI usage you can think of is to create a website builder, then you switch context to changing the world. Goes hand in hand, my friend. Not saying we can't have discussions about how cool is the course but I'm not bound to have the same dedication as you. Good luck with your predictions, you certainly think you are entitled to them.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,305 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 886 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 690 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,354 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,598 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,464 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 752 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,827 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 365 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,032 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat