Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com Proctored Exam Grade Time?
(07-31-2020, 10:01 AM)rpmranger Wrote: How are you guys getting through the Study.com courses quickly? There is a ridiculous amount of quizzes and lessons. For example Chemistry has 129 sections/quizes to get through. Even when you can test out of some of it, there is still over 100 left. It's depressing to even look at the number. It takes FOREVER.

Project management had 94 quizzes, I tested out of 35 or so but there was still a ton to get through.

Sophia courses only had like 12-15 modules to get through and maybe 4 quizzes and a final. It was easily 10x faster for me.

It depends on the course, but Sophia and SDC are actually quite comparable. For instance, look at biology. I'm assuming that you have no experience with biology and are going to actually have to read the material in order to answer the questions. Biology with Sophia has 19 challenges divided over 6 units.

The first unit has 3 challenges with a total of 25 questions/sections.
The second unit has 2 challenges with 12 questions/sections.
The third unit has 3 challenges with 17 questions/sections.
The fourth unit has 4 challenges with 26 questions/sections.
The fifth unit has 5 challenges with 35 questions/sections.
The sixth unit has 2 challenges with 18 questions/sections.

This makes 133 sections that you need to go through to pass human biology with Sophia. Broken down this way, this actually makes Sophia's Human Biology course longer than many SDC courses. The videos and texts for Sophia and SDC are comparable in length and scope. I would wager that the only reason why you're having trouble with SDC vs. Sophia is unfamiliarity with the subject. Sophia courses are LL courses that are entry-level. Chemistry is quite a bit more involved than many subjects and requires more effort on your part. You can always skip the videos and just read the text below the SDC videos, if you'd prefer to do that. Personally, I like SDC's videos and Sophia's videos were instrumental in helping me to pass some of their courses.
I don't watch the videos. I skim the text looking for keywords then go take the quiz. If there is something I really don't know then I go back and read again. I can do about 25 quizzes in an hour. Then the trick is to take the exam while the material is still fresh.

The advantage to taking the whole course at TESU instead of just the lab is more graded activities. If you take just the lab your grade will be the weighted average of your 6 lab reports. Take the whole class and you get free discussion points and reasonably free assignment points. That's 40% of your grade.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tallpilot's post:
  • Muldoon
(07-31-2020, 11:47 AM)tallpilot Wrote: I don't watch the videos. I skim the text looking for keywords then go take the quiz. If there is something I really don't know then I go back and read again. I can do about 25 quizzes in an hour. Then the trick is to take the exam while the material is still fresh.

The advantage to taking the whole course at TESU instead of just the lab is more graded activities. If you take just the lab your grade will be the weighted average of your 6 lab reports. Take the whole class and you get free discussion points and reasonably free assignment points. That's 40% of your grade.

That is pretty much what I do.  Always take the practice exam.  Take it more than once if you score below 60 on it.  Usually, your score on the practice exam is within 10% of what you will make on the final.

If you look at psychology on how learning works.  The longer the time, the more you forget.  After one day you forget quite a bit.  After 1 week is critical because you start losing a lot of information after that.

People that take longer on these courses tend to have to backtrack and go over what they forget because they go too slow and drag out the course.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Muldoon
(07-31-2020, 04:50 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(07-31-2020, 11:47 AM)tallpilot Wrote: I don't watch the videos. I skim the text looking for keywords then go take the quiz. If there is something I really don't know then I go back and read again. I can do about 25 quizzes in an hour. Then the trick is to take the exam while the material is still fresh.

That is pretty much what I do.  Always take the practice exam.  Take it more than once if you score below 60 on it.  Usually, your score on the practice exam is within 10% of what you will make on the final.

If you look at psychology on how learning works.  The longer the time, the more you forget.  After one day you forget quite a bit.  After 1 week is critical because you start losing a lot of information after that.

People that take longer on these courses tend to have to backtrack and go over what they forget because they go too slow and drag out the course.

I think that is correct.  They wait until the end to do the project then it takes longer than anticipated and pretty soon a week passes and half the material is forgotten.  I don't understand the psychology on it, but there is not doubt in my mind the faster you learn it the faster you forget it.  So you must exam as soon as you finish the quizzes.

I like the do the project while about halfway through the quizzes.  Then it is done and out of the way.  If I am ready to take the test but still need to do a project I look at the rubric and try to do the absolute least amount of work possible.  Then I take the exam because I'm already forgetting things.  Worst case I need 10-15 more points on the project to make 210 so I read the feedback, change it up and turn it back in.  That costs nothing but time and it doesn't matter now if I forget everything because the exam is over.  So far, I have been fortunate and when I turn in stuff I think is worth a 50 I get a 70.  I usually need about a 25. Never forget it is pass/fail and anything above a 70% was wasted effort.

The other trick is don't screw up the quizzes.  If you are going into the exam with less than 99 or so on the quizzes you are doing this wrong.  You want to pad that number as much as possible to keep the exam and assignment bar low.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tallpilot's post:
  • Muldoon
This waiting for review of the proctored exam time is getting ridiculous... I took an exam 2 weeks ago. Still waiting..
(08-06-2020, 11:37 AM)rpmranger Wrote: This waiting for review of the proctored exam time is getting ridiculous... I took an exam 2 weeks ago. Still waiting..

I waited two weeks for one then had two I’d taken 3 days apart clear on the same day. There is no rhyme or reason to it I can see. Fortunately I’m down to 3 classes needed for my degree, just waiting for a new billing cycle to knock them out and be done with this. I am doing the assignments while I wait too. That way all I need to do is blow through the quizzes and I’m ready for the exam.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,382 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,493 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,774 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 612 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 264 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 274 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 969 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,815 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 553 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle