Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Stupid Study.com Tricks
I know I've seen them in browsing this forum.  I won Study.com's Guardian Scholarship today, so I've signed up and started (a bit) on Personal Finance, as well as emailed WGU so I can figure out what else to take.

What are some tricks from the Study.com veterans?
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

Well, if they're stupid, why do you want them? :p Wink

For me, I just scan the transcript while having the lesson quiz open in a separate browser. I answer the quiz while looking up the answers in the transcript; it rarely takes me more than 2 tries to get 100%. After I finish all the quizzes, I do the practice exams once or twice until I get high 80%s/low 90%s as a way to test my proficiency. Then I take the final exam and I don't think I've done worse than 80% on the final; way better than needed. Never came close to failing any course.
My journey to TESU BSBA-GM
The Institutes (2cr): Business Ethics
Liberty University (27cr): INFT, International Business, Apologetics, Microeconomics, Biology, Non-Profit Management, Financial Acct., Computer Apps, Managerial Acct.
Liberty University MOOC (3cr): US Hist
Study.com (39cr): American Government, Environmental Science, Sociology, Psychology, Labor Relations, Marketing with Electronic Media, Principles of Finance, Business Communications, HR Management, Civil War/Reconstruction, History of Vietnam War, Personal Finance, Introduction to Marketing
Straighterline (39cr): Western Civ II, Financial Accounting, Cultural Anthropology, AmHist I, AmHist II, Intro to Religion, Business Statistics, Principles of Management, English II, Business Law, Intro to Comm, Org. Behavior, Macroeconomics
ALEKS (3cr): College Algebra
TEEX (2cr): Cyber Security for Business Professionals
TESU (3cr): Strategic Management TECEP
UExcel (3cr): English 101
[-] The following 3 users Like Gymfan15's post:
  • acr2013, Ladyplf, quigongene
I am a fast reader, so I don't watch any videos. I just read the transcript. If I know the material well, I might just look at the terms. I go quickly to the quiz. If you know the material really, really well, you can just pick A for all of the options and remember which are correct and then answer B for all of the incorrect ones from the first time through an so on until your reach 80%. This results in a quiz score that is 70 to 75% and then you take the exam and prove that you know the material. This is not recommended. I really enjoy the study.com classes and i really do learn from them. If you read closely and study, your quizzes will be better and you won't have to do as well on the exam. If you do the A, B, C thing, you will get a low quiz score and have to score at least a 70 on the exam which is the standard for proving that you know the material within all of these testing programs.

There is some benefit to finishing early with the scholarship. I have been able to complete two additional exams by having some extra time at the end. I am not sure if even more efficient testing could result in more free exams.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • sarg123
Just a thought - I don't think WGU will tell you what courses to take. They will tell you if something will come in as you think it should, but you can't just ask an open-ended, "hey, what can I take somewhere else so that I don't have to take it with you?" None of the schools will help much with that.

Instead, you need to plan things out (maybe using their transfer guides and the SL transfer equivalencies) to figure out what will probably work from Study.com - and then ask "will XYZ course from Study.com fulfill this ABC requirement?"
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • High_Order1
(08-29-2017, 09:29 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Just a thought - I don't think WGU will tell you what courses to take.  They will tell you if something will come in as you think it should, but you can't just ask an open-ended, "hey, what can I take somewhere else so that I don't have to take it with you?"  None of the schools will help much with that.

Instead, you need to plan things out (maybe using their transfer guides and the SL transfer equivalencies) to figure out what will probably work from Study.com - and then ask "will XYZ course from Study.com fulfill this ABC requirement?"

I gave them a matrix of sorts, basically asking if X from Study.com will align with Y from the degree program.
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)

Many of the classes overlap which helps reduce the amount of quizzes you need to take.  I thought the accounting courses were relatively easy.  If you already know the material, I would suggest taking the quiz first for each section.  If I answered incorrectly, then I would  take the time to watch/read the section then retake it.  It allowed me to progress through the material in less time.  Someone else suggested History of the Vietnam War.  This short class is only about half length of the standard classes and reminded me of a history channel series - very interesting!  I finished in 1 day. 

Download the app and discretely listen to the videos with headphones while cleaning, commuting, shopping, or folding clothes.  (Doesn't my life sound interesting!)
[-] The following 3 users Like Motivated2move's post:
  • Ideas, quigongene, sarg123
(08-31-2017, 10:12 PM)Motivated2move Wrote: Many of the classes overlap which helps reduce the amount of quizzes you need to take.

In addition, some of the courses have a "placement test" option that allow you to take a chunk out of the required quizzes.

You can find more detailed reviews/breakdowns of study.com courses in this thread:
[/url]
[url=http://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthread.php?tid=26805]http://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthread.php?tid=26805
[-] The following 2 users Like aviator guy's post:
  • quigongene, studiousimp
I have one too! I took 17 Study.com classes last month by changing my approach to taking study.com classes, now I do it this way: open two tabs (one with the transcript, one with the quiz) take quiz before reading the transcript (either look up answers as I go or not... depending on my mood). Finish and get score. Look up answers if/as needed. Retake for 100%. Takes 2-5 minutes. Rinse and repeat.

I ususally complete as many quizzes and become eligible to take the final on as many courses as possible during the week. On the weekend I take the finals without further study. Initially I'd take the chapter tests and practice finals. Now I only take an occasional practice final if I feel really shaky on the subject. So far final grades are usually in the low 80s high 70s. It's been incredibly efficient for me.

Just want to add that I'm not a particularly fast study. Generally I like to go slowly and absorb material/enjoy learning. I've found there are key concepts in, for example, the psychology classes that occur across courses and there is a whole process of layered learning going on. So there IS learning and it IS working. I find that really cool... and gratifying.

I'm sure it's not viable to pursue ALL Study.com courses this way but it's worked well for me with history, humanities, social sciences, computers. I haven't yet tried with math or a hard science.

Years ago I used to read things like the BA in 4 Weeks website and think it would be impossible for me (and it may well have been). Now I realize that by not trying that method of testing without much specific prep, I missed out on moving forward with my formal education.

The main thing I've learned from all this is to wiggle and experiment. Thinking is sometimes the enemy of doing and with Study.com classes you can retake a final in 3 days (I've never had to) so that means the risk is the cost of a second final ($70 or included in your membership depending) and 3 days time. If it doesn't work for you, OK. If it does, you've just hacked a huge piece of the Big 3 degree puzzle.
---------------
Next Goal: TESU BA in Psychology & Computer Science

[-] The following 5 users Like studiousimp's post:
  • bonbon622, eriehiker, High_Order1, Mackaframmalamma, quigongene
So it's mid month and I've already quickly completed my two courses for the month. I'm enjoying study.com immensely! Since I have some time, are you saying I can go ahead and begin working on the next two? I could complete the quizzes and just wait for the clock to tick over that I have two more exams? If so I'd then have a bunch more time on my scholarship next month also. Would I do the same and complete more courses? It's possible to get those free too? Or are you saying I could possibly just pay the month subscription after my scholarship ends and pay for each final and be done? After my guardian scholarship classes there are only 3 more I need from them. Since I'm enjoying it and kind of feel like I'm in a roll, want to take advantage of the momentum. Smile
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
I've been using them to study for CLEP exams between tests.

[-] The following 2 users Like quigongene's post:
  • DIGI-212, greencouch

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com charged me another month without my consent Livia_Drusila 7 206 4 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,526 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,642 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,455 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 766 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 375 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,049 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,926 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 598 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 318 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue