Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC BA Math AOS electives
Question for someone familiar with the TESC BA Math. Did a quick search but didn't find an answer.

According to the TESC website:
"Note: The following courses are examples of the types of mathematics courses that CANNOT be used in the mathematics area of study: college algebra, finite math, precalculus, trigonometry. These courses are not advanced level mathematics courses."

However, when I run an Academic Evaluation for BA Math, it places both my College Math and College Algebra CLEPS under part "E" (area of study electives) showing "Group 2" as complete (screen shot attached).

So, I'm a little confused. Which is it? Glitch with the eval, or do they count?

Some recent changes in my life have made it such that I'm not in as big a rush as I had been to finish my BA, so I'm tossing around the idea of taking a little extra time to complete a full-on Math degree rather than the NatSci/Math.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1506[/ATTACH]

Attached Files
.jpg   Less than 1 minute ago">AOS_elect.JPG (Size: 46.96 KB / Downloads: 3)
Its probably an error. I recommend confirming the placement with the registrar. The last thing you want is to be done and apply for graduation only for the registrar to tell you that you still need 9 more credits.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
I agree with Prloko. I haven't gone to TESC but I am finishing a math major at Excelsior and was a math major at Rutgers, and checked out a lot of different schools' math majors along the way. I have never seen a school that would let you use college algebra and/or college math towards the major. Free/general elective, sure. But not the major. Basically the traditionally lowest ranking math that begins to "count" towards the major is calc1.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I was shocked to see those credits applied there. I just wanted to double check with people here to see if anyone else had experienced this.

This has me wondering what similar errors there may be in how the eval shows credits applied to my NatSci/Math plan, or on anyone's plan in any major for that matter.
It's actually the software which has a reputation for course placement/sorting errors. The software simply reads MAT and places the courses in the area that best fits. Follow the published rules for your degree plan. Once you start taking the advanced math courses they will fill the area of study(AOS) and bounce the lower level courses out. The simplest way to handle this now is to make a phone appointment with advising (or send an email) to plan the courses you will take in your concentration/AOS. They can also manually move those lower courses out of the AOS so it will not distract you.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,656 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  ASNSM Mathematics AOS Electives shadowgem 8 1,882 08-21-2018, 02:43 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,590 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU free electives Tripletmom 1 1,207 06-29-2018, 05:41 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU BA MATH plan - feedback appreciated MeOldChina 8 2,865 06-16-2018, 11:00 PM
Last Post: MeOldChina
  Using electives in BSBA to get most of a Psychology degree done Dowew 3 1,132 06-07-2018, 05:30 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Easiest Math Class for TESU BALS? Kickedthehabit2 3 1,397 05-21-2018, 10:42 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU ASNSM in Computer Science (Math/ALEKS) question AwardTour 7 2,345 05-03-2018, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Excelsior Math Reqs Iamtehking 1 1,165 05-02-2018, 06:27 PM
Last Post: Kima
  TESU Math & CS AOS Degree Plan Yenisei 12 2,915 04-06-2018, 04:08 AM
Last Post: Yenisei