Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics
Hello All - first time poster, long time listener.

Need some guidance on a few questions as I'm getting pretty close to wrapping up all my degree requirements for a TESC BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics.

Based on my past college experience, I have a lot of the core requirements to get a TESC BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics. But I am short 7 credits for 300/400 level requirement of 18 total credits. I have a TON of math/science credits that are spilling over into Gen Ed/Electives. Extremely busy with work obligations so would strongly prefer testing out of the remaining credits - but I think it may be hard/impossible to find 3 math/physical science tests at the 300/400 level.

Any suggestions on tests I could take that would be accepted by TESC?

Since I will have just have one pesky credit remaining at that level - any chance you think that the requirement can be made up in any other way? For example, I have several credits for PHY 299 and ELE 299. Do you think any of those could "count"? All said, I currently have 50 credits that would fall under math/science plus at least 6 more I'm hoping to gain thru exam. Unfortunately vast majority are 100/200 level.

One more separate question - I just discovered the latest gen ed requirements for TESC which changed since when I first applied nearly a year ago (did not enroll). Is the only CLEP/DSST testing option for "Civic Engagement" requirement the CLEP American Government exam? Anything else I could take? Not opposed to taking it, but was hoping to take something more interesting.

Thanks in advance.
First, if you applied, you are considered on the Per-Credit Tution Plan, and have 12 months to do something with your enrollment. I would suggest that you take a TECEP, which will extend your enrollment for another year. If you do this, then you are still locked in under the 2014-21015 catalog. You can take something easy, even a duplicate course, if you want to lock in the old catalog. Then, you can either take 6 more TECEP's and your capstone, and you won't have to pay the $3000 enrollment fee. But it's up to you on if you want to do that or not.

If not, and you want to re-enroll starting with the 2015-2016 catalog, for GenEd (Civic Engagement requirement): Thomas Edison State College | General Education - 2016 or After - AG is the only test-out-able course on the list.

For UL math & science courses: you can't take anything at a cc, those will be LL.

Here's what I can find from my handy list:
Saylor's Business Statistics (OPM-351 at TESC) - not sure if that counts as math? It's considered a Business course
edX's 3 math courses, which aren't starting until Feb 2016 - you have to join the course when it starts and work through it at that time for it to count (can't do the archived course after the regular course is done). 3 courses in Differential Equations, count at MAT-333, MAT-399, MAT-399. $49 each.

UExcel's Pathophysiology & Quantitative Analysis are both UL (again, not sure if QA counts as Math, as it's a business course)

Straighterline's Microbiology with or without lab (BIO-351 or BIO-399)

TorCollegeCredits.com has a College Geometry course that MAY (or may not) be considered UL at TESC (TESC has it there, and it's MAT-361)

You didn't mention any CIS courses, but those are considered NatSci courses, and that would certainly open up more UL courses:
DSST Management Info Systems (CIS-301) and Fundamentals of Cybersecurity (CIS-344)
TECEP Network Technology (CMP-354)
CSU-Global's Cloud Computing & Big Data (CIS-499) and Info Systems Analysis and Design (CIS-320)

If you decide to take a TECEP, you can sign up now for the Jan term.

I would contact TESC and see:
A) if you are considered enrolled, and what the deadline date for taking a TECEP is
B) decide if you want to continue under the PCTP and take some TECEP's
C) make sure you have all of your current transcripts in so they can determine which courses you still need to take
D) have an advisor give you something in writing telling you the courses that you can take that will fulfill your UL requirements. Even with the above info, I would get it in writing from someone there so you're not stuck later if someone made a mistake

You also need to make sure not only that you have 18UL courses in your area of study, but that only 2 courses are 100-level. That makes a difference.

Good luck!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you so much for your incredibly thorough response and Happy Thanksgiving! Was doing a whole lot of internet sleuthing on the topic and was pleasantly surprised to find your response already and this literally gives me every answer I was looking for so I'm extremely thankful (pun intended). If CIS courses are allowable toward NatSci, then that would be perfect. Not that it's something I'm excited to take/or have background, but have some confidence in passing since I have my study formula down pretty well on CLEPs and DSSTs and have scored high on all. I wasn't sure there cause I've seen some conflicting info out there but has shown up on at least a few test out degree plans I've come across. I was on Straigterline's website right before I saw your post and it says it's 250/251, not 300, but maybe it transfers over at that level?

Just a few more quick questions based on your response if you would be so kind.

Does that Capstone count toward the 18 credits? The way it's listed on the degree requirements, I would assume it's separate.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is CSU? To this point, I've only been in the world of CLEPs and DSSTs

Will definitely reach out to TESC - not sure if anyone will be available on Friday. Just passed my Ethics in America exam today so finish line is in site (btw - thru your response you demonstrated an "ethic of care"). I'm pretty positive I'm not considered enrolled, but I will ask. It was almost exactly a year ago that I applied so will get some of their input. Calls I've made to them in the past have been mixed but generally have encountered helpful/friendly people.

So, just in case you're curious, here's what I'm thinking my remaining exam plan is based on what you told me:

1. DSST: American Government
2. CLEP: College Composition (still need to meet that requirement)
3. DSST: Public Speaking (apparently another "new" requirement)
and while I'm waiting for those 2 grades...
4. DSST: Management Information Systems
5. DSST: Fundamentals of Cyber-Security
6. TECEP: Network Technology*

Plus the Capstone and then finally I'm done.

* would love to take Business Statistics or Quantitative Analysis because it could have real application to my current job. So would love it counted - double whammy there. Have to confirm if it could count. Fortunately already have 300 level credit in Differential Equations.
** only if Capstone doesn't count toward 18 credits (please say it does)

Thanks again. Happy Thanksgiving!
Good news, the Capstone counts!

Bad news - add English Comp II, as the CLEP now only counts for English Comp I. Take the TECEP, it's not too bad.

Microbiology is BIO250 as a SL course number, but it transfers to TESC as BIO351. You always want to see what the course will transfer IN as, not what the school you're taking it at considers it. That's why you want it in writing from TESC before you take it. You can see it here: Thomas Edison State College Course Equivalency Guide | StraighterLine and here: Alternative Credit Project. If you take it with the Lab, it's 4 credits. That would mean that with the Capstone and this course, that's the 7 UL credits you needed.

CSU-Global is Colorado State University-Global Campus, they have a bunch of CBE's (Credit-by-examination).

If I were you, I would take the English Comp I & II as TECEP's, if you add the math & science TECEP's (College Algebra, Statistics, Applied Liberal Arts Math, Science of Nutrition) & Capstone, that's 7 of the residency requirements . You just need 1 more TECEP (Intro to Computers?) and you save $2500 on enrollment. Unless it's paid for in a different way, then feel free to pay the big bucks to enroll. TECEP's are $111 each, you take them from home through ProctorU. With your math and science background, those courses would be so easy for you to pass, it would be a shame to not take them! And you need English I & II anyway, why not take the TECEP's instead of the CLEP plus a TECEP (or UExcel).

I think I just saved you $2700, feel free to send me a check for a percentage of that, would you?! LOL! Have a good Thanksgiving!
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The last time I checked, the Networking Technology TECEP no longer counts as a natural science. Someone on the forum received confirmation that the CSU Global CBEs for Information Systems Analysis and Design and Information Systems Design and Management would count as natural sciences, but not Cloud Computing. However, the equivalency for Information Systems Design and Management has changed. TESC is always changing the equivalencies for newly-discovered credit sources, so get the tests pre-approved ahead of time. TESC will pre-approve credits from regionally accredited schools, but not ACE or NCCRS-approved courses.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:The last time I checked, the Networking Technology TECEP no longer counts as a natural science. Someone on the forum received confirmation that the CSU Global CBEs for Information Systems Analysis and Design and Information Systems Design and Management would count as natural sciences, but not Cloud Computing. However, the equivalency for Information Systems Design and Management has changed. TESC is always changing the equivalencies for newly-discovered credit sources, so get the tests pre-approved ahead of time. TESC will pre-approve credits from regionally accredited schools, but not ACE or NCCRS-approved courses.

I thought Cloud Computing came in as CIS-499 and Info Systems Analysis & Design was CIS-320, and that Info Systems Design & Management was not a CIS course??
Tried reaching out to TESC today to clarify a couple of things but closed for holiday so will have to wait til Monday. Very much appreciate the advice on the TECEPs to meet residency requirements. I think you're right and you saved me a ton of $ so many thanks there! Desperately hoping that I can fall under previous GenEd requirements because that will save me at least 2 exams. I wish I figured that whole thing out sooner, cause it basically sounds like I'm going to have to take at least 4 "meaningless" exams to meet the residency requirement since all other requirements would be fulfilled. That would be a bummer if Network Technology TECEP doesn't count for NatSci - will let you know what I can find out. Assuming I do have to meet 2016 GenEd requirements, then I'm hoping that someway/somehow thru my existing credits or some miracle TECEP exam can fulfill that requirement without having to take American Gov't CLEP. But at least I won't need long to study for that one.

Another question/piece of advice? What study resources would you recommend for TECEPs? I really like the InstantCert blank flashcard format but they have virtually no TECEPs covered. Any similar resource I could use?

Again, thanks a lot.
Unfortunately, that's all there is. There are IC's for 3 of the exams, and there will be some covered by other exams as well (College Algebra, Sociology, Microeconomics, Financial Accounting CLEP's, Statistics, Money & Banking, Here's to Your Health DSST's). But TECEP's are just not as old as the others, and not as well covered. The good news about them is that they have lots of exams for things that other exams don't, and lots of UL exams.

The other good news is that the exam outline gives you EVERYTHING you need to know for the exam, including the book you need to read (or several), and even give you a Saylor course you can use to study if there is one.

As for taking "meaningless" exams, don't think of them that way, think of it as "exams that will save me thousands of dollars" instead! It has a better ring to it!
dfrecore Wrote:I thought Cloud Computing came in as CIS-499 and Info Systems Analysis & Design was CIS-320, and that Info Systems Design & Management was not a CIS course??

They recently just changed the equivalency for Information Systems Design and Management. Not all CIS courses count as natural sciences. You have to verify. The TEEX courses didn't count as natural sciences when they were coded as CIS.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:They recently just changed the equivalency for Information Systems Design and Management. Not all CIS courses count as natural sciences. You have to verify. The TEEX courses didn't count as natural sciences when they were coded as CIS.

Good to know. My husband was planning on taking the CSU-G exams, but I don't want him to waste his time if they won't count where he wants them.

Do you know if they'll count in the Area of Study for BSBA CIS?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASNSM Mathematics AOS Electives shadowgem 8 1,933 08-21-2018, 02:43 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,650 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU BS Health Sciences Jimmy999 1 1,011 04-18-2018, 01:48 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Does anyone have a detailed list of courses for EC's BA in Natural Sciences? Pelican 3 1,341 03-26-2018, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Yenisei
  1 UL Credit in Arts & Sciences Srbinoki 13 2,891 03-10-2018, 01:24 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Recommendations for TESU's "Understanding the Physical and Natural World"? leland.kirk 7 1,876 02-15-2018, 09:20 AM
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,454 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
Question Fulfilling the Natural World requirements: ELSADDIQ 10 1,851 02-06-2018, 08:59 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,199 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
  Where are all the UL 'Natural Science' classes? scout2family 11 2,951 01-31-2018, 03:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore