Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1 UL Credit in Arts & Sciences
Hello,

I am 9 credits away from finishing the Excelsior BPS-B&M but I used The Institutes "Ethics for Insurance Professionals" course to cover my ethics requirement. Since this only gives 2 upper-level credits, I now find myself 1 credit short of meeting the minimum requirement for total upper-level work in Arts & Sciences.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way for me to meet this requirement without having to take a full 3 UL credit course? I just need the 1 UL credit to finish out the A&S section of my evaluation.

Any help is appreciated. 

Steve
Not sure how the TEEX courses transfer into Excelsior, but TESU evaluates at least one of them as upper level computer science. That would be 2 credits.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(03-08-2018, 06:22 PM)quigongene Wrote: Not sure how the TEEX courses transfer into Excelsior, but TESU evaluates at least one of them as upper level computer science.  That would be 2 credits.

ACE recommends all three as lower-level credits in "introduction to computer security." TESU evaluates one as upper-level computer science (CIS-344) and two as computer applications, one lower level (CAP-295) and one upper level (CAP-385). I don't know that anyone has posted about how they were evaluated at Excelsior yet, so there is a good chance they could all come in lower level, or not come in as computer science but something similar. Best bet is to check with advising at Excelsior directly to see what they say.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I found this one at TEEX per the recommendations here. This is the ACE Guide entry for it:

Course:Bioterrorism: Mass Prophylaxis Preparedness & Planning
Credit Type:Course
ACE Course Number:0233
Organization:Texas Engineering Extension Service
Length:16 hours (2 days).
Dates Offered:4/1/2008 - Present
Objective:To provide instruction in how to plan for, respond to, and manage an incident within a multi-agency, multi-jurisdiction response organization according to national standards.
Learning Outcome:Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to plan a jurisdiction's preparedness and emergency response efforts by developing (or revising) a plan addressing an all-hazards approach towards mass prophylaxis.
Instruction:Major topics covered in the course are population health monitoring, overview of the Division of Strategic National Stockpile (DSNS), receiving staging, and storage site, Strategic National Stockpile (SNS) Communications Planning, Point of Dispensing (POD), POD Personnel and Training, POD Operations, POD Organization, POD Dispensing, POD Asset Management, and POD Deactivation. Methods of instruction include presentations, facilitated discussions, participant activities, and task-oriented practical applications.
Credit Recommendation:In the upper division baccalaureate degree category, 1 semester hour in Public Health, Health Science Emergency Management, Public Safety, or Epidemiology (6/10).

What do you think my chances are that they would count it in the A&S section?

Thanks,

Steve
(03-08-2018, 06:45 PM)Srbinoki Wrote: I found this one at TEEX per the recommendations here. This is the ACE Guide entry for it:

Objective:To provide instruction in how to plan for, respond to, and manage an incident within a multi-agency, multi-jurisdiction response organization according to national standards.
Learning Outcome:Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to plan a jurisdiction's preparedness and emergency response efforts by developing (or revising) a plan addressing an all-hazards approach towards mass prophylaxis.
Instruction:Major topics covered in the course are population health monitoring, overview of the Division of Strategic National Stockpile (DSNS), receiving staging, and storage site, Strategic National Stockpile (SNS) Communications Planning, Point of Dispensing (POD), POD Personnel and Training, POD Operations, POD Organization, POD Dispensing, POD Asset Management, and POD Deactivation. Methods of instruction include presentations, facilitated discussions, participant activities, and task-oriented practical applications.
Credit Recommendation:In the upper division baccalaureate degree category, 1 semester hour in Public Health, Health Science Emergency Management, Public Safety, or Epidemiology (6/10).

Thanks,

Steve

No way to know. They might not accept it at all. You'd need to ask advising to see if it's been evaluated for credit and if so, how it transcribes.

One thing to note is that aside from the Cybersecurity courses, a good chunk of the TEEX courses are classroom-based, on-site, paid courses. You might want to verify that course is still available, is taught near you, and is a price you feel is reasonable. The Cybersecurity courses are paid for by a government grant, so they're a bit special.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
(03-08-2018, 06:49 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(03-08-2018, 06:45 PM)Srbinoki Wrote: I found this one at TEEX per the recommendations here. This is the ACE Guide entry for it:

Thanks,

Steve

No way to know. They might not accept it at all. You'd need to ask advising to see if it's been evaluated for credit and if so, how it transcribes.

One thing to note is that aside from the Cybersecurity courses, a good chunk of the TEEX courses are classroom-based, on-site, paid courses. You might want to verify that course is still available, is taught near you, and is a price you feel is reasonable. The Cybersecurity courses are paid for by a government grant, so they're a bit special.
I submitted it to my advisor for evaluation. It is an online course and free so I signed up already. Just waiting for the academic advisor's response before I complete it.

Thanks for everybody's help so far.

Steve
Can you explain how you found this course? I cant seem to find it in my listing on TEEX.
(03-08-2018, 07:22 PM)22gunsonfire Wrote: Can you explain how you found this course? I cant seem to find it in my listing on TEEX.

You can search for it in the TEEX course catalog. It isn't listed under Bioterrorism, just "Mass Prophylaxis Preparedness & Planning". Took me a few tries to find it as well.

I didn't realize there are additional courses, beyond the Cybersecurity ones, available from TEEX that are online and free with active ACE Credit evaluations. Nice to see other free options. I wonder if there are others that have also been missed.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Cheeseburrito
(03-08-2018, 07:32 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(03-08-2018, 07:22 PM)22gunsonfire Wrote: Can you explain how you found this course? I cant seem to find it in my listing on TEEX.

You can search for it in the TEEX course catalog. It isn't listed under Bioterrorism, just "Mass Prophylaxis Preparedness & Planning". Took me a few tries to find it as well.

I didn't realize there are additional courses, beyond the Cybersecurity ones, available from TEEX that are online and free with active ACE Credit evaluations. Nice to see other free options. I wonder if there are others that have also been missed.

This could be a gold mine. For me as a medical professional these classes can only help me out in terms of CEs, further training, and certificates. I plan on taking a ton of these free online classes for fun and attempting to transfer to TESU through ACE. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Thank you!
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
(03-08-2018, 07:32 PM)Merlin Wrote:

I found the renamed course but it stated it wasn't offered for online registration. A lot of the TEEX courses are free but unless you live in a location that offers the live classes I don't know how you could attend. But kudos to you if you live in a nearby area. That would be quite a boon.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,868 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,488 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
Question Does anyone have a copy of a TESU Credit Bank transcript they'd be will to post? Kelly Green 2 2,079 08-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc dcan 43 26,974 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
  TESU - BSBA HR spreadsheet? UL AOS credit suggestions allvia 7 2,680 08-12-2018, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Jimmy999
  DSST credit on TESU Individual Learning Account (Credit Bank)? Kelly Green 6 2,012 08-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Where can you find UL credit in STEM areas to test out of for credit miah 8 2,107 06-23-2018, 07:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Liberal Arts Capstone omuneek 8 2,625 06-20-2018, 10:41 AM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU Statistics credit transfer from study.com waterpaper 2 1,599 06-14-2018, 08:57 AM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Just finished my Lib Arts Capstone at TESU jsh1138 32 6,160 06-13-2018, 08:36 AM
Last Post: jsh1138