Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC Computer Science
Hightecrebel, can you tell me how much the TESC CS certificate costs? By the way, where are you planning to get your Master's in CS from?
The cost will depend on how many credits you take through TESC and what tuition set you are on. I'll be taking nine of the 18 credits through TESC to meet the 50% residency requirement, and it will be ~$4400. That will be paid out of the GI bill, so I'm not as worried about cost as I would be if it was purely out of pocket. Some of the other options might work out cheaper if that's the case. As far as where I'm looking at for the MS, I'm in the early stages now, and haven't really dug deep yet to decide on it.
When you're looking for your masters degree you may want to keep Georgia Institute of Technology in mind. They are going to start offering an Online MS in CS for roughly ~$7,000 if not less.
Here's a link in case you want to read up on it sometime: OMSCS - Georgia Institute of Technology
I'm a 19 year old, Software Engineer, who is enrolled at TESC for a B.A. in Computer Science. My bachelors coursework is completed and I am waiting for graduation to roll around. Will start pursuing ALM in Information Technology with a concentration in Software Engineering from Harvard Extension School sometime in the coming year.
benjenkinsv95 Wrote:When you're looking for your masters degree you may want to keep Georgia Institute of Technology in mind. They are going to start offering an Online MS in CS for roughly ~$7,000 if not less.
Here's a link in case you want to read up on it sometime: OMSCS - Georgia Institute of Technology

That looks interesting. I'll be sure to keep an eye on it and try to follow it as it goes.
hightecrebel Wrote:Alright, after talking with my advisor, crunching numbers, and discussing with the companies who've said they want me, my plan is changing yet again. Be a bit easier this time, though. I'm going to basically test out of a BSBA CIS, depending on if the CSU Global exams are granted UL credit, and then knock out a TESC CS certificate. It will take a bit longer, but it seems to be the most effective way to knock these out without burning myself out at the same time. This way I'll be able to build the base for pursuing an MS CS and still be able to pursue a History BA in the future.

So my paths now looks like: BSBA CIS -> CS Undergrad Cert -> MS CS -> BA History -> ??? -> Profit!

Thank you all for your help so far, and I'll make sure to post updates on my journey and how TESC rates everything I transfer in along the way.

if you're going for a masters in CS then a certificate in CS seems like a waste of time and money

the CIS degree should give you all the prerequisites needed to get into a Masters of CS program

and what's the point of a degree in history ?
if its a subject that really interests you just study it on your own
read books, watch ted talks, watch videos, listen to podcasts https://www.google.com/#safe=off&q=history+podcasts (don Carlin is supposed to be one of the best)
why spend all that money for a degree ?

why not
BSBA CIS -> MS CS -> Profit!
study History on my own -> fun
There is also the option to take Graduate Transition Certificate in Computer Science from SPSU after completing your CIS from BSBA.

Actually the website states the program is designed for those students holding an accredited bachelor's degree in an area unrelated to computer science who have an interest in computer science so it doesn't really have to be CIS, could be BA in Liberal studies for all they care.

Graduate Transition Certificate in Computer Science

The only worrying thing about this certificate is the cost.
bluebooger Wrote:the CIS degree should give you all the prerequisites needed to get into a Masters of CS program

Seems like most CS Masters programs want the introductory programming course sequence of Principles of CS I / Programming I, Principles of CS II / Programming II, and data structures. While CS undergrad programs would require them, not all CIS, IT, IS, etc undergrad programs do.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

I guess not all do
I obviously haven't looked at all Smile
and I'm sure it wouldn't take long to do an internet search to find one that didn't

but I would hope that anyone considering a masters degree in CS would choose an Information Technology program that has those courses
and even if you aren't considering a masters in CS, but just want a less math intensive major than CS that still focuses on computers I would hope you would still pick an IT program that has those courses

this looks like a great program and has all the required courses
Colorado Technical University*-*Bachelor of Science in Information Technology - Software Application Programming Specialization

and so does this
Information Technology Degrees | Bachelor's Degree in IT | Northeastern College of Professional Studies
click on the Curriculum tab

all the courses you mentioned except data structures are in the basic Curriculum
and if you scroll down to
Specialization in Applications Development
you can see they offer data structures

and even if your IT program didn't have the required courses I still don't see the point in spending money on a 2nd BS in CS

once you have your BS in IT just take the one or two courses you still need at another school as a non-degree student
saves money, saves time
The reason for the CIS is a computer related degree that I can knock out quickly, without an excessive outlay of time. This checks a box for the potential employers I've been talking to who don't care what the degree is as long as it's computer related.

The CS certificate would be to take the courses I need for the master's (at least every one I've found) along with another couple that interest me. Cost isn't much of a factor, as my GI bill will be covering it at that point, along with my master's.

The BA in history is a combination of I enjoy learning about it, I want to take more, and at some point in the future, I would like to teach it.

As far as getting a degree in IT, I could but it's not that high of an interest for me at this point, at least not the ones I've seen. Most IT jobs I've seen (not that I've looked that heavily) haven't looked for a degree in IT but have wanted a bunch of certifications. If I want to go that route, I could apply to the Syracuse veteran's program and get them that way.
hightecrebel Wrote:As far as getting a degree in IT, I could but it's not that high of an interest for me at this point, at least not the ones I've seen. Most IT jobs I've seen (not that I've looked that heavily) haven't looked for a degree in IT but have wanted a bunch of certifications.
I am pretty certain that a degree in "CIS", or "IS", or anything similarly related would be considered an IT degree.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Computer Concepts CIS-107 sambeaux 3 1,976 09-01-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  TESU Help planning exams for ASNSM in Computer Science theveganmaker 3 1,553 07-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Last Post: theveganmaker
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,675 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU - BA in Computer Science Gone? MrBossmanJr 5 1,711 07-10-2018, 03:56 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU BA Computer Science nyvrem 5 2,495 06-30-2018, 07:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU ASNSM/BALS w Computer Science thewupk 1 1,213 05-05-2018, 03:06 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU ASNSM in Computer Science (Math/ALEKS) question AwardTour 7 2,386 05-03-2018, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Merlin
Sad TESU has stopped offering a BA in Computer Science? johnw 14 3,327 04-24-2018, 02:06 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  COSC Science Lab -- ed4credit accepted? stampbuyme 7 1,804 04-18-2018, 06:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Science Lab Requirement ? stampbuyme 7 2,570 04-10-2018, 02:05 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock