Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC LA Capstone Instructors
In the next couple of days I have register for my August start capstone course at TESC. My choices are Peck or Tomko in guided study or Sinding, Weischadle, or Otto in online version. Any feedback appreciated.
I would avoid Catherine Peck like the plague. Trust me.
I've heard from friends who've had Dr. Otto that he's hard, vague and unhelpful, though I haven't had direct experience with him. For future reference, I have Steve Ryan for this course and he's nice and helpful Cool
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
I am on Assignment 3 of the Guided Study with Dr. Tomko. I am liking it, thus far! I really enjoy the aspect of not having to communicate with your classmates...you only have to focus on your assignments and talking with your mentor. Dr. Tomko has been very nice and helpful in his correspondence and he corrects/advises in a positive manner. I don't usually recommend people, because others can have different experiences. With that said, I highly suggest Dr. Tomko...I know I haven't finished my semester, but so far, so good!!! Smile
Westerner Wrote:I've heard from friends who've had Dr. Otto that he's hard, vague and unhelpful, though I haven't had direct experience with him. For future reference, I have Steve Ryan for this course and he's nice and helpful Cool

Yep - this was my experience with Dr. Otto, although naturally it could be different for someone else. I've heard that Dr. Haydel is wonderful (but I see she is not one of your choices), and one of my friends had a very positive experience with Steve Ryan. By the way, I posted my thoughts on and advice for this class here: http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...post145875
CLEPs:
Biology: 64 | College Algebra: 60 | A&IL: 74 | Natural Sciences: 62 | College Comp: 62 | Intro Psychology: 73 | Intro Sociology: 67 | History of the U.S. I: 73 | History of the U.S. II: 65 | Principles of Marketing: 66 | Social Sciences & History: 68 | Humanities: 58

DSSTs:
Environment & Humanity: 59 | Technical Writing: 66 | Public Speaking: 67/Pass | Astronomy: 72

Other Courses:
Intro to Stats ALEKS: 70 | 24 FEMAs (including PDS) | Intro to News Reporting TECEP: Pass | Interpersonal Communication ECE: A | News Writing @ TESC: A | TESC Leadership Communication: A | TESC Mass Communication I: A | TESC Capstone: A | Marketing Communications TECEP: Pass | Argumentation & Debate @ LSU: A | Public Relations Thought & Practice TECEP: Pass

120/120 - DONE!!!
B.A. Communications through CollegePlus/TESC
My degree plan/test feedback
Bump.. Any recommendations? Any reviews of Weischadle? Or Rosenbaum-haydel?
localsheriff Wrote:Bump.. Any recommendations? Any reviews of Weischadle? Or Rosenbaum-haydel?
No direct experience, but I've heard from multiple friends who've had Dr. Haydel that she's very nice and helpful.
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
localsheriff Wrote:Bump.. Any recommendations? Any reviews of Weischadle? Or Rosenbaum-haydel?

Did you check Rate my Professor?

David Weischadle - Thomas Edison State College - RateMyProfessors.com

Nina Haydel - Thomas Edison State College - RateMyProfessors.com
BA in Social Science-TESC
Arnold Fletcher Award

[h=1]“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” ~Thomas Edison[/h]
Westerner Wrote:I've heard from friends who've had Dr. Otto that he's hard, vague and unhelpful, though I haven't had direct experience with him. For future reference, I have Steve Ryan for this course and he's nice and helpful Cool

From what I hear, this is most all of them. Thankfully the instructions for each module were pretty much on point. I got an A in the class without ever buying either textbook (but I've also got experience writing large papers, so if you don't, you may want to get them anyway.)
BA Psychology - TESC

CLEP Biology - 56
CLEP Human Growth and Development - 56
CLEP College Mathematics - 54
CLEP Educational Psychology - 58
CLEP Social Sciences and History - 70
CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - 59
ECE Psychology of Adulthood and Aging -B
ECE Research Methods in Psychology - B
DSST Substance Abuse - 429
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling - 53
DSST Intro to World Religion - 458
Originally Posted by Sterling Archer
Quote:I would avoid Catherine Peck like the plague. Trust me.

I have to politely disagree with Sterling Archer regarding Catherine Peck. Perhaps there were different factors involved with our perceptions of her?

At the beginning of the course when I was going through topic options, I sent her a detailed email with my ideas and asked her opinions...she wrote back a long email with encouraging suggestions and further information to pick a well-rounded main question and subquestions. Also, she gets back with me right away (she prefers email and so do I!) on questions I have. I'm also happy with her grading-style as she gives me clear direction in what she's looking for and what I need to fix (I've had a terrible experience on that account with another TESC professor). All around I'm very pleased with her...but maybe it will be different for others...or maybe the next few chapters will change my perception? Sad

Anyhow, that was my two cents. Smile Hope it helps someone!
EARNED: BA History, TESC March 7th, 2014 :hurray:
HONORS: Arnold Fletcher Award
CREDITS EARNED: 120
CREDITS LEFT: 0
CLEP: Analyze & Interpret Lit (59) | History of the U.S. I (53) | Western Civ I (55) | English Comp w/ Essay (57) | English Lit (62) | Humanities (58) | College Math (55) | Western Civ II (65) | Social Sciences & History (56) | Intro Psychology (74) | Human Growth & Development (57) | American Lit (68) | History of the U.S. II (71) | Natural Sciences (51) | = 66
DSST: Intro to Business (54) | Intro to Computing (48) :eek: (45 is a pass) | Intro to World Religions (479) | Art of the Western World (78) | Rise & Fall Soviet Union (63) | History of Vietnam War (63) | Western Europe 1945 (61) | Intro Modern Middle East (76) | = 24
ECE: World Conflicts 1900 (A) | = 3
FEMA: 21 credits | = 21
TESC Guided Study:
African History & Culture (B) | Liberal Arts Capstone (A) | = 6
In Progress: Biblical Greek - Mounce
Up Next: Linguistics training through GIAL

~~~~~~~~~
Soli Deo Gloria!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 20 2,561 Yesterday, 02:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 9 551 03-31-2024, 12:07 AM
Last Post: ivanswk78
  Liberal Arts Capstone resistk 15 1,386 12-18-2023, 02:38 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Register for Capstone Kones 12 1,121 12-04-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: resistk
  O Capstone! My Capstone Kab 12 1,189 08-03-2023, 03:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Capstone project Done gams007 5 932 05-02-2023, 09:39 PM
Last Post: gams007
  I need help with Kaltura for the capstone oral presentation mcquacks2 3 714 04-02-2023, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  TESU transfering alt credits after doing capstone or during? CanICode 5 909 03-09-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone disney_day_dreamer 12 2,054 02-21-2023, 11:22 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Anyone willing to share their capstone experience/sample? Amberlinjeanne 9 1,692 12-13-2022, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Amberlinjeanne