Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC capstone
Has anyone verified that TESC will be adding a capstone requirement to their degree requirements beginning July 1 2012? I've read about it on a few posts, but I'd like to know for sure (if possible)!

Many thanks!
Don't know but hopefully since I have already enrolled will be grandfathered in and won't have to do capstone. If anyone knows please post.
A.S. General Transfer Chattanooga State 2009
B.S.L.A. Thomas Edison State College June 7, 2013
33 CLEP
18 DSST
When I asked my BA adviser last month about it she said they think about doing that every year when they update but didn't know if it would happen or not. My understanding is you graduate under the college catalog valid when you enroll so it wouldn't matter (for anyone enrolled before July you'd be on the 2011-12 catalog and it's rules). At least I think that's how it works...

My CC lets you choose either the catalog you started with or any other catalog within the time you start and when you graduate. Either way I don't think they'd screw over everyone who's in progress but it could very well change for new applicants and those not enrolled yet. I would assume we won't know until the catalog comes out unless someone else has talked to TESC.

My advisers best advice to me on the phone, "Don't believe everything you hear online". Then again this site hasn't steered me wrong so I guess we'll see.
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
It's just a rumor, but this forum tends to be more accurate than TESC's advisors.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
If there were to be a capstone requirement after July, would that affect BSBA majors? I know that there is already a capstone for BSBA, but they offer an exam for it and if you can find an equivalent somewhere else they allow you to take it there. Would this new capstone requirement force me to take an entire course from TESC instead of just the exam?
Has anyone heard anything further on this since this would be the last week to enroll and avoid this change if indeed it is going to happen?
AlbaTiVo Wrote:Has anyone heard anything further on this since this would be the last week to enroll and avoid this change if indeed it is going to happen?

Nothing seems to be available on that subject, I guess when the new catalog comes out we'll see what (if anything) has changed with that policy or any other policy. If you are worried then go ahead and enroll, they could change any policy they want upon releasing the new catalog. Your degree may have new requirements, they could change acceptance of credits (or caps on them), and as you said they could change the capstone. I asked advising about it a few months ago and they played it off and told me not to trust everything I read on the internet. They said the have considered it before but only time will tell if it will actually change.
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
I don't have much credit, as I've been mostly a lurker instead of poster. So take this as you want...

But, I just had a lengthy discussion with the advisors today, and they stated "for fact" that there WILL be a capstone requirement with the new calendar applying to atleast all Bachelor of Arts programs starting Monday July 1st.

I needed to re-enroll out of inactivity, and they assured me any requests completed by Friday (June 29th) will stay under the current course requirements (no capstone) but all past Monday will require it.

Hope this helps.
rochbaz Wrote:I don't have much credit, as I've been mostly a lurker instead of poster. So take this as you want...

But, I just had a lengthy discussion with the advisors today, and they stated "for fact" that there WILL be a capstone requirement with the new calendar applying to atleast all Bachelor of Arts programs starting Monday July 1st.

I needed to re-enroll out of inactivity, and they assured me any requests completed by Friday (June 29th) will stay under the current course requirements (no capstone) but all past Monday will require it.

Hope this helps.

guess I better get enrolled tonight or tomorrow...

EDITED TO ADD: well I just jumped onto the website and paid my tuition, so I hope that means I'm 'enrolled' and safe under the old catalog. Guess I need to go check on those FEMA classes and find 9 so that I can get this finished and get my piece of paper! (yep, according to my evaluation, that's all I need).
Stitching Belle Wrote:guess I better get enrolled tonight or tomorrow...

EDITED TO ADD: well I just jumped onto the website and paid my tuition, so I hope that means I'm 'enrolled' and safe under the old catalog. Guess I need to go check on those FEMA classes and find 9 so that I can get this finished and get my piece of paper! (yep, according to my evaluation, that's all I need).

That's great news you are so close. I went ahead and enrolled last night too - no more excuses now Smile
BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics, 2013 - TESC - Arnold Fletcher Award
AAS in Applied Computer Studies, 2013 - TESC
116 B&M Credits
32 FEMA Credits
9 ALEKS Credits - Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry
9 Straighterline Credits - Business Communication, Microeconomics, English Composition II
6 TESC Credits - Global Environmental Change
3 DSST Credits - Environment and Humanity

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,145 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Capstone Anxiety Iamtehking 9 4,343 09-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  BUS-421 - Capstone - Final Project Submitted! Gloddy 16 4,758 08-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Gloddy
  TESU LIB-495 Capstone Ideas JanuarySunshine 1 1,676 07-21-2018, 11:42 PM
Last Post: davewill
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,653 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 5,007 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat
  Capstone TESU d.cononge 16 4,835 06-27-2018, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JayUsher
  Two More UL Courses and Capstone MrBossmanJr 17 3,566 06-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Last Post: MrBossmanJr
  URGENT HELP NEEDED! Survey on Online Digital Learning due by 23 June for Capstone! Nightmoves5 6 1,805 06-21-2018, 06:49 PM
Last Post: fork
  TESU Liberal Arts Capstone omuneek 8 2,630 06-20-2018, 10:41 AM
Last Post: davewill