Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC does not accept ALEKS Beginning Algebra.
Magedo Wrote:We all have set backs. Now get back to work Collegestudent7 and do not let this derail your plans.
Already doing that. Only posted this to warn others as I know it may have been said elsewhere, but this thread will make it nice and clear. I'm studying right now. Also updated my Excel spreadsheet...ttyl
To be honest, this policy is most certainly acceptable for a university. "Beginning Algebra" is typically a middle school course.
what grade is beginning algebra taught? - Google Search
The Algebra taught in Middle school and Freshman year of High School is a different Level of Algebra then what is taught in Aleks Beginning Algebra. Also not everyone had Algebra in High School. If ACE gives it college credit I don't see why TESC won't take it as general Math 102. Sometimes we forget that not all states in the USA have the same standards and not all schools within those states have the same standards.

The last thing is what about the kid who was bad in math in high school couldn't/wouldn't learn so they never gave him a chance at Algebra. In our Middle school only the highest 1/3 even get a chance at Algebra and it is broken up over 2 years 7th-8th grade. And still about half of these fail the placement test and have to take Algebra 1 Freshman year.

Yes Asian countries may push their kids faster to do more, but that's why they burn out or have heart attacks younger. What happens to the student in Asia who can't keep up? What if they have a learning disability are they just left behind and ostrasized until they drop out? I don't know all of these answers, but US teachers have a heavy load trying to serve every student from the gifted to the slow learner all in the same class usually in just ~45 min a day.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Ok, I didn't try the beginning level on ALEKS, just Pre-Calc (which is pretty hard too, as I am also seriously math deficient)

I assume the "Asian" comment is because I'm not currently sitting at home in the states writing this, as per my location listed under my id. What the Asians are doing is not directly relevant to the mathematics education issues in the states. The U.S is so far behind many other industrialized nations (and many non-industrialized nations now) that a lot of workers for technical jobs have to be recruited from abroad. I finally watched "Waiting for Superman" a couple of days ago, and there was some interesting commentary on this.

Some other related articles:
U.S. PUPILS LAG IN MATH ABILITY, 3 STUDIES FIND - NYTimes.com
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0923110.html
U.S. Teens Trail Peers Around World on Math-Science Test - washingtonpost.com

Anyway, getting a bit off topic here, it's not too relevant whether or not I personally agree with TESC and not ACE, as I'm not in the TESC administration Wink
BrandeX Wrote:Ok, I didn't try the beginning level on ALEKS, just Pre-Calc (which is pretty hard too, as I am also seriously math deficient)

I assume the "Asian" comment is because I'm not currently sitting at home in the states writing this, as per my location listed under my id. What the Asians are doing is not directly relevant to the mathematics education issues in the states. The U.S is so far behind many other industrialized nations (and many non-industrialized nations now) that a lot of workers for technical jobs have to be recruited from abroad. I finally watched "Waiting for Superman" a couple of days ago, and there was some interesting commentary on this.

Some other related articles:
U.S. PUPILS LAG IN MATH ABILITY, 3 STUDIES FIND - NYTimes.com
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0923110.html
U.S. Teens Trail Peers Around World on Math-Science Test - washingtonpost.com

Anyway, getting a bit off topic here, it's not too relevant whether or not I personally agree with TESC and not ACE, as I'm not in the TESC administration Wink

...Staying off topic for one more minute, I would like to comment on our lagging math skills.

I totally agree that in K-12, kids should be taught as much math as possible and given the chance to succeed and have a solid mathematical base so that if they choose an undergraduate degree that requires this type knowledge, that they are fully able to perform.

However, even though I agree with TESC's decision to not accept beginning Algebra, I don't think that any more math is really needed, depending on the major. Seriously, who even uses algebra in life? I know that's not necessarily a valid argument, but I've lived 35 years with my basic math skills and never had a problem... in fact, I have a successful career. I felt like the Math CLEP was a good representation of the maximum amount of mathematics that I'll ever need. For someone who is majoring in any sort of liberal arts field, I'm not sure I totally understand needed to know more. I would rather spend my time doing something more interesting and fulfilling like learning another language or reading about different cultures around the world, or perhaps even art history.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
On a different note--I just passed the ALEKS Intermediate Algebra assessment with an 81%! Strange, because I assessed at 43% the 1st time for Beginning Algebra.

I just submitted this to ACE and it's pending approval. I did a search and read that one shouldn't start a new course through ALEKS until ACE approves their credit or everything is erased, so I guess I'm just hanging tight.
On to the next thing :-p
burbuja0512 Wrote:...Staying off topic for one more minute, I would like to comment on our lagging math skills.

I totally agree that in K-12, kids should be taught as much math as possible and given the chance to succeed and have a solid mathematical base so that if they choose an undergraduate degree that requires this type knowledge, that they are fully able to perform.

However, even though I agree with TESC's decision to not accept beginning Algebra, I don't think that any more math is really needed, depending on the major. Seriously, who even uses algebra in life? I know that's not necessarily a valid argument, but I've lived 35 years with my basic math skills and never had a problem... in fact, I have a successful career. I felt like the Math CLEP was a good representation of the maximum amount of mathematics that I'll ever need. For someone who is majoring in any sort of liberal arts field, I'm not sure I totally understand needed to know more. I would rather spend my time doing something more interesting and fulfilling like learning another language or reading about different cultures around the world, or perhaps even art history.

I totally agree! I love Math, but I just need to earn the darn credit and get on with this degree lol. I'm not as great at it as I thought. I mean, I don't ever use it, so I guess that would explain why LOL.

The reason I went with ALEKS is because I thought it would be easier thank the College Math CLEP. Now I'm starting to wonder.
Finally!!!!!! Congrats! Big Grin
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
Lindagerr Wrote:If ACE gives it college credit I don't see why TESC won't take it as general Math 102. .

It's college level remedial. Let's say you walked into your CC and took their ASSET or COMPASS placement exam. It said you were ready for ENG101 but did not score highly enough to take the minimum college level math class (MAT102 or similar). In that case, you would take ALEKS Beginning Algebra as COLLEGE LEVEL REMEDIAL for college credit. After successful completion, you could go ahead and show on your transcript that you have either a) tested in at a 100 level math or b) completed a college level remedial math therefor meeting the CC's prereqs for 100 level math. *most colleges absolutely DO have prereqs for 100 level courses in math/English/science if you look.

Oh, and another good example is SL's ENG099 which would do the same thing for someone testing in under ENG101.

@Brandex, when a subject is first taught isn't a measure of where someone places when they start their college journey, and respectfully, to make someone feel stupid because it's hard for them isn't helpful.
We have 3 layers of remedial math that precede a 100 level gen ed math course. At my college, beginning algebra is the highest remedial math, many people (including a good percentage of my Culinary Math students) test in 2 levels below 100 levels. This is a REAL brick wall for many people.

I do believe one contributing factor to poor math skills is the under-teaching of arithmetic. In my homeschool I teach only arithmetic (add, subtract, multiply, divide, fraction/decimal/percentage, measure, time and money) until no less than age 12. By then, my children are so absolutely solid that they have the brain space to learn something new. How many adults still count 7*8 on their fingers? (guilty!!) How many adults who are not in school can rattle off 6/20 * 2/5? My 10 year old can. I walked away from the standard text books when I noticed a wide/shallow approach. I'm a 100% competency kind of teacher, so we go deep/narrow.
alleycat Wrote:Finally!!!!!! Congrats! Big Grin
Thanks. I'm hoping to use 2 more ALEKS courses strictly due to the affordability of it.

I'm just covering my absolute basics right now and moving on to the UL, etc. later. Thinking about all the ULs I need is sort of depressing. Feels like it will take forever and cost a lot...but all I can do is keep plugging along.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,086 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  TESU gen. ed. algebra requirement alternatives? kietro 5 1,711 07-27-2018, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rckola911
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,157 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  finishing ALEKS? a2jc4life 2 1,007 07-25-2018, 11:52 PM
Last Post: a2jc4life
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,629 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Does Excelsior College/Charter Oak accept TECEP vetvso 1 1,645 05-30-2018, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Beginning my journey coldseal 20 4,388 05-16-2018, 12:27 PM
Last Post: coldseal
  TESU ASNSM in Computer Science (Math/ALEKS) question AwardTour 7 2,358 05-03-2018, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Are there any Programming Language courses in Python that TESU will accept? camjenks 2 1,120 04-26-2018, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Sapientes
  TESU doesn't accept ACE transcripts of Study.com courses? jsh1138 35 8,099 03-29-2018, 08:06 AM
Last Post: tekplay99