Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU AAS Applied Computer Studies
I'm finally fed up enough with my current job (for once I really actually feel that way) that I'm actually going to get a degree but I would like to start off rather easy and truly see if this is for me, hence my choice of the AAS in Applied Computer Studies. If I actually like it, I may press further and go for a bachelor's or even a master's degree but first an associate's. I also wouldn't mind getting the Undergraduate Certificate in Cyber Security at the same time.

My choice of this particular degree is also motivated by the lack of a need to take a science course with a lab, which I would like to avoid, at least for an associate's.

I'm not in a huge rush to finish this but would ideally like everything wrapped up by June of 2023.

As for budget, cheaper is better but not really an issue at all.

I would like also like a decent mix of RA and graded credits in the mix just in case for future degree options. Testing out is preferred to writing papers too.

As for what credits I currently have -
  • A lot of FEMA credits but unless something has changed, they're useless.
  • 3 CLEP exams, all above the recommend scores for credit, American Government & History of the United States I & II
  • TEEX Cyber Security for Everyone, TEEX Cyber Security for Business Professionals & TEEX Cyber Security for IT Professionals however they're all 6 years old at this point.
  • Kaplan Univeristy Documenting Your Experiences for College Credit: Learning Recognition Course
  • American Institute For Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters/The Institutes - Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct
  • National Emergency Training Center (NFA) - Fire Service Supervision, Hydraulic Calculations for Water-Based Fire Protection Systems & Self-Study Course for Community Safety Educators
That's all I can think of for now. I'm looking forward to reading what everyone has to say. Thanks.
@siege101, Wow, you've registered on DF just 20-21 days or 3 weeks after me... Time flies by so quickly, we've been members for a while now!  I skimmed through all 8 of your previous posts, I bet there has been some changes... You've got the basic info I was looking for, but it's still missing the most important details.  Can you review this template and last post addendum, copy/paste the bolded info and edit with your details?   Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

Basically, my recommendation right now is to start accumulating credits that will go towards a Pierpont BOG AAS with Info Systems emphasis, and you can then ladder up to the bachelors right afterwards.  Work on 3 things, Certs, Degree, Experience.  To start, invest in a second monitor for multitasking... Follow these instructions or recommendations I provided here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid378074
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • inf
I would suggest the AS Computer Science to avoid having to take the capstone.

Do you general ed stuff first and all you can with Sophia. Then do Study.com.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Arto
(10-09-2022, 11:05 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @siege101, Wow, you've registered on DF just 20-21 days or 3 weeks after me... Time flies by so quickly, we've been members for a while now!  I skimmed through all 8 of your previous posts, I bet there has been some changes... You've got the basic info I was looking for, but it's still missing the most important details.  Can you review this template and last post addendum, copy/paste the bolded info and edit with your details?   Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

Basically, my recommendation right now is to start accumulating credits that will go towards a Pierpont BOG AAS with Info Systems emphasis, and you can then ladder up to the bachelors right afterwards.  Work on 3 things, Certs, Degree, Experience.  To start, invest in a second monitor for multitasking... Follow these instructions or recommendations I provided here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid378074

I guess my option to edit my post is no longer allowed so I'll do the template in this reply. In regards to the ACE credits, I have all of them on old ACE Transcript.

Your Location: New York, USA
Your Age: 36
What kind of degree do you want?: Associate's > Bachelor's
Current Regional Accredited Credits: None that I'm aware of.

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: 23 (Dependent on Current Acceptance)

CLEP - Provider Total Credits: 9
American Government, 3, 65
History of the United States I, 3, 61
History of the United States II, 3, 67

American Institute For Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters/The Institutes - Provider Total Credits: 2
Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct, 2, Pass

Kaplan University Open Learning - Provider Total Credits: 3
Documenting Your Experiences for College Credit: Learning Recognition Course, 3, Pass

National Emergency Training Center (NFA) - Provider Total Credits: 3
Fire Service Supervision: Self Study, 1, Pass
Hydraulic Calculations for Water-Based Fire Protection Systems Plan Review, 1, Pass
Self-Study Course for Community Safety Educators, 1, Pass

Texas Engineering Extension Service - Provider Total Credits: 6
Cyber Security for Business Professionals, 2, Pass
Cyber Security for Everyone, 2, Pass
Cyber Security for IT Professionals, 2 Pass

Any certifications or military experience? None

Budget - Lets try to keep it under $10k.

Commitments - I work 6 days a week, nothing else holding me back though.

Dedicated Time to Study - I can easily do 3-4 hours per week I would think.

Timeline - I would like an associate's basically wrapped up by the end of June 2023 if possible.

Tuition Assistance/Reimbursement - None that I'm currently aware of. My union may offer something though.
Your old ACE credits need to be on Credly to be useful today. ACE stopped offering any transcript outside of Credly quite awhile ago.
(10-10-2022, 10:25 AM)LevelUP Wrote: I would suggest the AS Computer Science to avoid having to take the capstone.

hmm, the AAS in Applied Computer Studies is showing up as Administrative Studies for me right now
https://www.tesu.edu/ast/programs/aas/ap...er-studies
Administrative Studies Requirements (21 Credits)

and I surprised the ASNSM in Computer Science doesn't even have any required CS courses    -- just 18 elective credits
https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/asnsm/computer-science

that's easier than the AS in Computer and Information Technology
which requires 2 courses of physics with lab
(10-10-2022, 03:44 PM)bluebooger Wrote:
(10-10-2022, 10:25 AM)LevelUP Wrote: I would suggest the AS Computer Science to avoid having to take the capstone.

hmm, the AAS in Applied Computer Studies is showing up as Administrative Studies for me right now
https://www.tesu.edu/ast/programs/aas/ap...er-studies
Administrative Studies Requirements (21 Credits)

and I surprised the ASNSM in Computer Science doesn't even have any required CS courses    -- just 18 elective credits  
https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/asnsm/computer-science

that's easier than the AS in Computer and Information Technology
which requires 2 courses of physics with lab

There is no ASNSM Computer Science anymore. That degree changed to AS in Computer Science. Same for AS in Mathematics. 

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...me-Changes

https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/en/Curre...athematics

A lot of times, stuff on TESU's website is outdated.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • bluebooger
With the AS in Computer/IT, you need Physics I & II with Labs. But with the AAS in Applied Computer Studies, you need an Associates Capstone. You'll need the Cornerstone for both.

For me, I NEVER recommend TESU's AS or AAS as a standalone degree, because it's just too expensive. It's a minimum of $5145 for the AS, or $6846 for the AAS, which is just WAY too much money for an associates degree. Even if you do the FT/FR option, it's still going to be $4,778.

Instead, do the Pierpont AAS, as suggested, and you can even get your IS Area of Emphasis. This degree is by far the easiest one to get in terms of GE's needed, and cheapest since it's FREE. As in zero tuition. You get your credits however you want. For instance, if you did all CLEP exams, and then took the 1cr ASU UL course for that graded RA credit, it would cost $25 plus the cost of sending your transcripts to Pierpont ($20 for the CLEP exams and probably less than $10 for ASU).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Will any of my previous credits besides the CLEP exams apply to anything for the BOG AAS?
(10-11-2022, 08:59 PM)siege101 Wrote: Will any of my previous credits besides the CLEP exams apply to anything for the BOG AAS?

Here's what you need for the BOG AAS:

1 graded credit (do the ASU/UL course)

CLEP
COMMUNICATIONS - College Composition Modular
MATH/SCIENCE (6cr) - College Mathematics (6cr)
COMPUTER LITERACY (3cr) - Information Systems and Computer Applications
27 additional credits (easier exams include Analyzing & Interpreting Literature, Introductory Sociology, Introductory Psychology, Human Growth and Development)

Also, sign up for TADA and take the Google IT Professional Cert for free (minimum) - 12cr to complete your Area of Emphasis

Other options for testing out: Saylor at $5 a pop, DSST exams are $89 + test center fees

Obviously, Sophia is a good inexpensive option, with fast IT courses available as well
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 370 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU BACS course selection for OMSCS warre 29 853 03-14-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: warre
  LU to TESU or UMPI - please help! CharisandJon 17 628 03-14-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BA in Communications at TESU Deetzin 2 168 03-12-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Computer Science Degree Needed lifted567 30 2,330 03-05-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: lifted567
  Computer science for international student in 2024 Passa 6 358 02-27-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Passa
  Seeking Advice on Degree Plans: BS Computer Science, BS Cyber Security, and BA Human rutpun15 3 391 02-21-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BSBA CIS Area of Study @ TESU Vin 21 1,253 02-09-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Review my plan for UMPI Psychology Major & Educational Studies Minor - Please :) RachelB 9 868 02-06-2024, 04:37 PM
Last Post: radicallena
  Course/Degree Planning - Liberal Studies, BA - TESU drp16 4 382 01-31-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: drp16