Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TESU] BA in Computer Science, need help with planning
I'm currently completing business-related courses and am on track to graduate in September with a BSBA in Computer Information Systems, however I'm now also considering the idea of switching to a BA in Computer Science instead.

I'm not sure I'll be actually doing this, it just depends on time, cost, and other factors.

[Image: GVaK88X.png]

If anyone has any recommendations to fulfill all the courses I'm not sure about (preferably away from TESU and not too expensive), any suggestions are appreciated!
Actually, Intro is literally the most basic Intro to Computers course. Take the Saylor COS101 course. If you know any programming at all you can pretty much go straight to the final. Take the non proctored final and if you find it easy, go ahead and take the proctored one for credit. If you struggled, then go through the Saylor course material. It's fairly succinct (for Saylor). Use the C++ course as an area of study elective.

Data Structures is a course that teaches about stacks, queues, lists, etc. Take it after your C++ course.

Discrete Math is a course that covers propositional logic, graph theory, and other useful stuff. This one I took as a course and I'm glad I did. My masters courses will lean on this one a lot apparently.

If you look through my sig, you can see the courses I used to fill out the area of study. Unfortunately there isn't much in the way of tests or self-paced courses you can use for this major... That's why I did most of it as PLA.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I'm not sure, but I think someone said the DSST fulfills the Intro to CS
http://getcollegecredit.com/assets/pdf/d...puting.pdf
This is going to be a long slog with lots of courses. You can power through quickly with BSBA CIS, but you can't do that with CS.

The MIS DSST and the CSU Global System Design CBE will work as UL CS AOS. Just so you don't go down a dead end, cloud computing from CSU Global won't work. I suspect the security related CBEs are all also dead ends.

Unfortunately, here are the many problems you will face:
1) SL calculus 1 & 2 cannot be completed with Ctrl-F. It will take you a while to get through each course unless it's a refresher. The final is worth 35%. I notice calc is empty, so it's probably new material to you. SL will probably be faster than a community college if you're focused.
2) Take data structures at an online community college.
3) Take discrete math at a online community college. Or you can take linear algebra at a 4-year school and eliminate 3 UL worth of CS AOS.
4) 12 UL credits probably have to be earned at TESU (9 CS in group 1, 3 capstone).
5) Many computer courses don't work because they're too applied.

For #4, it's very hard to find cheaper alternatives. The closest I got was statistics.com with ACE recommendation for upper level credit, but TESU often does not follow the ACE recommendation and called it LL. In general, your proposed UL class has to match one of their UL courses. Unfortunately, TESU has few UL CS courses. There is a software engineering edX coming up soon, but it is 2 credits in a series of 2 courses. And the course looks very time consuming and hard.

I doubt you'll graduate by September 2016 if you follow this road unless you can successfully PLA COS courses and not CMP/CAP/non-applicable CIS.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
I considered switching, but with the recent residency changes and some other reasons, I have decided to stick with the BSBA:CIS.

If I would have switched to CS, I was looking to take Discrete Math and Data structures at my local CC. DSST Cybersecurity, DSST MIS, and COSC Software Engineering fill 9 of 12 UL credits. Was looking to CSU or a class at TESU for the final 3.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

ajs1976 Wrote:. DSST Cybersecurity, DSST MIS, and COSC Software Engineering fill 9 of 12 UL credits. Was looking to CSU or a class at TESU for the final 3.

CIS-344 (fundamentals of cybersecurity) fit into the CS AOS?

I think I'm going to try to get advising to put that in my program.
It shows in Group 1 when use the program evaluation.
Andy

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics

ajs1976 Wrote:It shows in Group 1 when use the program evaluation.

The automated program evaluation makes lots of mistakes. But there is no cost to asking advising, so hopefully I'll get it preapproved. That's a $1400 savings if advising says "OK" and I pass the test.
When I do a what-if evaluation, my CIS-344 course does not fall into the CS AOS.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:When I do a what-if evaluation, my CIS-344 course does not fall into the CS AOS.

Is the difference TEEX vs DSST? How many credits? I don't think it would matter since they are both listed as CIS-344.
Andy

Current Degree Plan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,922 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,020 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,578 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,290 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,279 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,317 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore