Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU BS & MS in Data Science and Analytics
Thumbs Up 
Hello, has anyone completed a BS & MS in Data Science and Analytics from Thomas Edison State University in conjunction with statistics.com? I wanted to know if this degree layout that I created looks correct. It seems like a lot of the courses for the Masters and Bachelors overlap so if I take the correct electives for my bachelors it should satisfy the masters core and electives as well. Can anyone verify if this looks correct? Also, has anyone completed a study.com Principles of Statistics and TECEP exam? How was that? I want to complete the dual degree in 9 months if possible. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated and if anyone knows of a discount code to use for statistics.com I would appreciate that as well. I saw that apparently last summer there was a 50% discount code for September, did anyone receive any special offers for this year?

Bachelors + Masters in Data Science and Analytics

Principles of Statistics - TECEP/Study.com - BS Core
R Programming - Introduction 1 - September 06, 2019 to October 04, 2019 - BS Elec\MS Core
Predictive Analytics 1 - Machine Learning Tools - with R - September 06, 2019 to October 04, 2019 - BS Core\MS Core
Spatial Statistics for GIS - Using R - October 25, 2019 to November 22, 2019 - BS Elec\MS Elec
Forecasting Analytics - November 15, 2019 to December 13, 2019 - BS Core\MS Elec
Predictive Analytics 2 - Neural Nets and Regression - with R - November 15, 2019 to December 13, 2019 - BS Core\MS Core
Risk Simulation and Queuing - November 15, 2019 to December 13, 2019 - BS Elec\MS Elec
Predictive Analytics 3: Dimension Reduction, Clustering and Association Rules - with R - January 03, 2020 to January 31, 2020 - BS Core\MS Core
Optimization - Linear Programming - January 03, 2020 to January 31, 2020 - BS Core\MS Elec
Introduction to Network Analysis - February 21, 2020 to March 20, 2020 - BS Core\MS Elec
SQL - Introduction to Database Queries - March 13, 2020 to April 10, 2020 - BS Elec\MS Core
Interactive Data Visualization - March 13, 2020 to April 10, 2020 - BS Core\MS Core
R Programming - Introduction 2 - March 13, 2020 to April 10, 2020 - MS Core
Applied Predictive Analytics (Capstone) - ?? - MS Core
The only thing I can tell you is doing an entire Bachelors and Masters in 9 months seems almost impossible. The statisics.com courses aren't offered all the time and aren't simple to do in a day or two. You can only count 4 courses (12 credits) towards the masters and bachelors. This is a TESU policy, they have said it multiple times on their site. Unless you ask and they tell you otherwise, I believe 12 is the max credits you can count for both a bachelors and masters.

"From TESU website:

Graduate courses taken as an undergraduate student:

DSI-601 or DSI 604 Predictive Analytics 1- Machine Learning Tools (using either R or Python)
DSI 602 or DSI 605 Predictive Analytics 2 - Neural Nets and Regression (using either R or Python)
DSI-603 or DSI-606 Predictive Analytics 3 - Dimension Reduction, Clustering and Association Rules (using either R or Python)
DSI-510 Forecasting"

How these courses apply to the bachelor's degree:
Students enrolled in the BS degree in Data Science and Analytics through the Statistics.com partnership can fit these courses in the area of study section of their program. Please contact your academic advisor for more information."

Do you have any prior college credits? Do you have any knowledge of the field? Because if you are starting from zero withTESUs 100 credit rule and capstone and cornerstone just doing any TESU degree in 9 months will be difficult, but not impossible. But doing the BS Data Science in 9 months sounds even more difficult than just trying to do a general BA in 9 months from scratch. Again this is possible but definitely difficult with all of TESUs policies and availability of courses.

WGU also offers BS and MS in Data Science. It would probably be cheaper (and you can use financial aid). It might be faster and/or better program, honestly, I have no idea though. Just something you might want to look into.

Read this thread for more info on the TESU program: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-Analytics
This is where I got my information from.
No current code at the moment unfortunately, however, if one comes up, no doubt it will be posted to the forum.

Principles of Statistics can also be obtained through Sophia.org Intro to Stats course.

You may want to incorporate the specialized certs, specifically the Optimization one, from Statistics.com while you are at it as well. Just a thought.

If you are already in the field or similar, many people take multiple courses per month to graduate faster.

The scheduling is the biggest issue I have found, especially for some courses that only occur 2x a year. 

HTH!
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
Also according to TESUs website, it looks like you'd have to earn 24 credits for your masters after the bachelor's degree was conferred. The Masters program is 36 credits so if you used 12 for both degrees, you get 24 left. Again you will have to ask them more in depth, but I do not think it is possible to earn both degrees at the same time and I believe only 12 credits count towards both. And if you have to wait until the bachelor confers and then earn 24 new credits then earning both degrees in 9 months is impossible.
From https://www.statistics.com/certificate-p...su-ms/#faq

Are these the same courses that I took at Statistics.com, either for a Statistics.com certificate program, or for a TESU Bachelor’s program? The topics are similar, but the courses are at a graduate level and are structured a bit differently:
  • Each course is 8 weeks long versus 4 weeks for the undergraduate BS.
  • Each course has a mentored project associated with it at an MS level intensity
  • To access the courses, you will log into the TESU learning management system (LMS)
  • Tuition is paid directly to TESU
  • The courses are officially TESU courses (not Statistics.com courses that offer a credit transfer via ACE Credit)
And you can only transfer 12 credits into the MS

You'd need to take R Programing 1&2, Intro to Network Analysis, Optimization, SQL and Visualization again on graduate level.
[-] The following 1 user Likes spdy's post:
  • natshar
In terms of speed and cost for masters data Science WGU is cheaper. Most people on this fourm don't recommend TESU for grad school. TESU grad school is expensive and the courses at 12 weeks long. Feel free to do the MS data Science at TESU just know it will probably take a year or two to complete the masters alone after you finished your Bachelor's. That being said Wgu's program is very different curriculum from TESU.

WGU is also cheaper and might quicker for the Bachelors as well. However again the curriculum is much different so it might not be what you want.
To apply for the MS in Data Science and Analytics at TESU, you need to establish a TESU GPA first, which is the reason I'm not pursuing that program. If you take the courses that can count towards BS/MS but have not yet applied for the program, you will have to retake them, like natshar said.

I had an AS in Computer Science going into TESU with most of the Gen Eds out of the way, and I am graduating within 6-9 months of starting at TESU, assuming all goes well. Also, as someone who just finished 4 statistics.com courses at once while working a full-time job, I want advise you, and anyone else considering a similar plan, to make sure that you set aside the time! I'd like to think of myself as capable, but the way my schedule was structured, I only got 2-3 hours of sleep a few nights a week, even when I paced myself. Just something to think about!
BS in Data Science & Analytics and BA in Computer Science and Mathematics at TESU (June 2019 to June 2020)
In-progress:
MS in Cybersecurity at NYU (January 2021 to December 2022?)
MCIT in Information Security and Assurance at NAU (September 2020 to March 2021)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  ASNSM in Computer Science and TEEX Cybersecurity? Shorn27 2 359 03-18-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 1 205 03-03-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,157 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP