Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
TESU BSBA Capstone - Case Study
(12-20-2018, 03:40 PM)fork Wrote: Did you evaluate the costs and sales and margin? I thought that was the point of value chain analysis. I decided to just stick what they used in their annual report into a table and called it done. I wonder if we are doing the same cases being only one semester off. This was for Amazon and they do give broad categories of what I would think are the primary and support aspects of the value chain in their report. I decided not to break them down any further than what they had already done, though.

IMO, the point of a value chain analysis is to break down the activities that make up the value chain and present them visually to give you a better understanding of how a company creates consumer value and saves costs (and/or supports sustained competitive advantage). In a full analysis, a cost assessment can be done as a second part of the process, but I didn't perform the costs assessment aspect, just the base value chain analysis itself since that was what was requested. My teacher liked my paper and I scored a 98 (marked down 2 points for some something APA related) so it seemed appropriate.

The approach taken probably doesn't matter as long as the end results show how the company's value chain works and how it helps a company's bottom line. But yes, the value chain analysis I did was also for Amazon. I didn't mention a specific company since case studies vary from section to section and I don't want to give away too much information. We're overlapping since we're so close in dates I'm sure.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I have not seen anything at all graded so I have no idea how I'm doing on any of this and feeling really burnt out with it. As a side note, I think the APA format is the worst I've ever worked with. I do use a site called citefast, but even with that you have to check and make sure it's correct. I'm not that familiar with APA so trying to learn that cuts into my time as well.
I can feel what you must be going through with reg to the capstone assignments. I hope it is all sorted out and well soon. And yes, I know the utter pain of the APA format. While the OWL-Purdue covers most forms of citation, there are still certain grey areas about which, there is no much consensus. Different sites offer different kinds of advice, and some of them are outdated now, as the APA-6th version differs a little from the previous ones. Even the study.com instructors who graded my APA papers seemed unaware of a few APA conventions.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
[-] The following 1 user Likes Supermind's post:
  • fork
(12-20-2018, 04:43 PM)fork Wrote: I have not seen anything at all graded so I have no idea how I'm doing on any of this and feeling really burnt out with it. As a side note, I think the APA format is the worst I've ever worked with. I do use  a site called citefast, but even with that you have to check and make sure it's correct. I'm not that familiar with APA so trying to learn that cuts into my time as well.

It took some time before I started seeing any graded papers (as documented earlier). Once you start seeing results and feedback I suspect things will improve. At the least, it should help if there are any tweaks you need to make on future papers.

I don't like the way academic papers are so structured anyway, so MLA and APA both suck in my opinion, but I understand why they exist and I do my best to follow them properly. I'm pretty meticulous about doing so, in fact, so I find it odd when I lose points for minor APA formatting on my paper. Any time I have confusion I look up the right way to do it. Sometimes I wonder if perhaps the mentor hasn't done so and is giving me incorrect marks because some citation formats are not the same as others.

In any case, I use citefast as well... I have for all my papers since I started working on my degree. I mainly use it for creating the references and works cited sections, which it does just fine. For everything else (and particularly for stuff related to overall formatting–such as things like images and tables, etc.) I use the Purdue Owl website as a reference. I also used Google searches to look up citation details for obscure stuff, like the proper way to cite company 10K reports, etc.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
Yes! How to cite the 10-K forms, and a few other government related sources, was my concern too. I used some of it for my I/O Psychology & Org Theory papers.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
[-] The following 1 user Likes Supermind's post:
  • mysonx3
(12-20-2018, 04:48 PM)Supermind Wrote: [...]
Even the study.com instructors who graded my APA papers seemed unaware of a few APA conventions.

I'm pretty sure I've seen this in action in my Capstone papers. I've lost 2 points on several of my papers due to minor APA errors that I'm pretty sure are just the instructor not being aware of the various APA conventions since I try to be meticulous in following the APA requirements, and look up anything that is obscure or doesn't seem to make sense.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • fork
(12-20-2018, 04:58 PM)Supermind Wrote: Yes! How to cite the 10-K forms, and a few other government related sources, was my concern too. I used some of it for my I/O Psychology & Org Theory papers.

I use the citefast for those and fill it in manually. I figured it had enough prompts to it that I could get it done. No idea if it's current/correct, though.
http://www.citationmachine.net/apa/cite-a-book

That is what I have been using, been working good so far for APA guidelines as my scores reflect.

However I have only had 2 of my case studies graded so far, I'm currently working on #6 while impatiently waiting for the instructor to grade #3...

In other fun news, I think I just pooped the bed on the midterm, but it's what I get for not studying much. After review, if you study the flash cards linked in the other thread, you will do great on the midterm. I know I will pass, but I seen some key things that I was just a little off on. An example would be cost based offensive strategies. I nailed a few of them and detailed a great explanations in the examples I provided, however I didn't outline them all and I think I could be hit fairly hard for this.

Time will tell and good luck to you all.

[-] The following 3 users Like kodiak61's post:
  • fork, Merlin, TacticalTechie
(12-21-2018, 02:41 PM)kodiak61 Wrote: http://www.citationmachine.net/apa/cite-a-book

That is what I have been using, been working good so far for APA guidelines as my scores reflect.

However I have only had 2 of my case studies graded so far, I'm currently working on #6 while impatiently waiting for the instructor to grade #3...

In other fun news, I think I just pooped the bed on the midterm, but it's what I get for not studying much. After review, if you study the flash cards linked in the other thread, you will do great on the midterm. I know I will pass, but I seen some key things that I was just a little off on. An example would be cost based offensive strategies. I nailed a few of them and detailed a great explanations in the examples I provided, however I didn't outline them all and I think I could be hit fairly hard for this.

Time will tell and good luck to you all.

I've been delayed in taking my midterm due to technical issues but I'm hoping to take it tonight or tomorrow. I've been reviewing terms and reading through my notes and the textbook. I also made my own flashcards that are pretty close to what posabsolute posted, but I've never taken essay tests before so I'm not sure how I'll do on those. I've read and re-read through the areas covered in the study guide but not sure how I'll do. I think I'll do okay on the multiple choice but I have no idea on the essays. I know the concepts but I didn't memorize any tables or lists, which I've heard is important. I guess it will depend on the questions asked.

How many essay questions are there? How many multiple choice?

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
10 Multiple Choice and 4 essay questions.

2 points each on the multiple, and 20 each on the essay.

Like I said earlier, the pre-made flash cards from posta contained 100% of the information. Have a strong grasp of those and then you are asked to write 2-3 paragraphs explaining the answers.

My questions may be different then the ones you received, however I would say that the multiple choice was harder than I thought because there were a couple that "could" be, much more than typical multiple choice tests.

If you know the material on the flash cards (group mapping, blue ocean, offensive strategies, VRIN - SWOT, and how to implement and why etc), you will nail the essay questions.

When I reviewed the flash cards right after taking the midterm I had a few "dangit, I knew that and could have explained it better" moments. I feel that because I was vague in my mastery of some of terminology I will be scored down deservedly so. Yet, I think I did a "decent" job of bs'ing my way through the concepts that I will get a passing/decent score.

With your preparation, I'm sure you will be fine. Like I said, I did almost no studying and just winged it and feel ok.

[-] The following 1 user Likes kodiak61's post:
  • Merlin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,347 Yesterday, 11:51 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 531 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 456 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 480 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 2 321 04-04-2024, 10:10 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 261 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,235 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 233 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 9 531 03-31-2024, 12:07 AM
Last Post: ivanswk78
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 377 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM