Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
TESU BSBA Capstone - Case Study
I was wondering that too, Merlin. I haven’t been able to find an example on the forum Sad I feel like I’m back at step one trying to figure out what he wanted for a case study.
(01-07-2019, 10:01 PM)hrriggs03 Wrote: I was wondering that too, Merlin. I haven’t been able to find an example on the forum Sad I feel like I’m back at step one trying to figure out what he wanted for a case study.

Yeah, I feel the same way. Luckily I checked the final case study off my list last week, so all I left to do is the final paper. Did you ask your mentor if they can provide any example papers for reference? I know some have done so in the past but it appears to vary by the mentor.

I may end up just winging it since I don't want to waste a couple weeks going around in circles on the structure and then get stuck trying to write a 14+ page paper at the last minute. I'm thinking I will probably just approach this more like the type of report I'd look for from my own employees. More about concise information and less about academic structure. I may get marked down for the structure and brevity but that's better than not turning in anything.

In the meantime, I will continue researching and building up a good source list so I can prepare to start writing.  I'm aiming to come at this from a different angle anyway, so it should be interesting to see how this paper turns out. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(01-07-2019, 06:42 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 03:56 PM)fork Wrote: Can you explain the proctor format for the essays on the exam? Is is just a window you type into? I'm not a great typist so I'm just wondering what to expect. You're not able to edit at all or it's just difficult?

After you complete the ten multiple choice questions, you move onto the next section where you are prompted with an essay question. There are four essay questions total, two in the second section and two in the third section.

Each essay question is presented in a big text box with no editing or formatting controls... it is not a WYSIWYG editor like a word processor or the forum editor, just a text box like on any other website. You type into it and edit it manually, using spaces to tab and if you want to use bullets, you can just use * or – characters as I did. To move around you use the arrows or click the cursor where you want it. You can't use cut and paste either, but you can highlight text and then drag it around with the mouse to move it. Its weird, but you get used to it if you use it.

FYI, the Q&A questions are tricky and many appear to have more than one correct answer, so review them several times before answering. But that section is only worth 20/100 points total (2 points each) so it isn't that critical. The essays are worth 20 points each, so that is where you need to spend your time.

Good luck on your midterm! Smile

I'm working on my final project for the Capstone and am running into trouble trying to figure out how it should be structured/presented. The instructions say to write an original 3500-5500 word (14-20 page) anaytical report. But it doesn't feel like they are asking for a traditional English Composition style academic analytical essay. That doesn't support any of what we've been doing in the course to date. I spent the weekend bogged down trying to research how to do an analytical report rather than actually working on the paper itself.

If anyone here has an example final paper they can share, that would be awesome for me and anyone else looking to complete this course in the future. I've already done a good chunk of the research on my topic, so I don't need any content help, just the organization and/or structure or even an outline to give me some idea of how to put it together and present it. I asked my course mentor and he said he'd like to help but doesn't have permission to share any of the papers he's graded in the past, so he can't provide any examples. He did offer some insights that, while not really providing the structural example that I need, helps a bit.

Thanks. Smile

Is it possible to move between sections on the exam? My strategy for exams heavy on essays has always been to read each question first then answer in order from easiest to hardest. Answering the easier ones first gives me time to think about the harder ones and sometimes helps jog my memory or give me ideas for the harder ones.

As for the paper I plan to put it in a structure based on the topic's key factors with an executive summary and conclusion that includes the recommended action. I do think the executive summary is important for a business report and it doesn't take that much extra time to write. I wouldn't worry about it too much otherwise as long as you follow the guidelines for being "organized, coherent, and unified." Obviously I haven't done mine yet so take that how you will.
(01-07-2019, 06:42 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 03:56 PM)fork Wrote: Can you explain the proctor format for the essays on the exam? Is is just a window you type into? I'm not a great typist so I'm just wondering what to expect. You're not able to edit at all or it's just difficult?

After you complete the ten multiple choice questions, you move onto the next section where you are prompted with an essay question. There are four essay questions total, two in the second section and two in the third section.

Each essay question is presented in a big text box with no editing or formatting controls... it is not a WYSIWYG editor like a word processor or the forum editor, just a text box like on any other website. You type into it and edit it manually, using spaces to tab and if you want to use bullets, you can just use * or – characters as I did. To move around you use the arrows or click the cursor where you want it. You can't use cut and paste either, but you can highlight text and then drag it around with the mouse to move it. Its weird, but you get used to it if you use it.

FYI, the Q&A questions are tricky and many appear to have more than one correct answer, so review them several times before answering. But that section is only worth 20/100 points total (2 points each) so it isn't that critical. The essays are worth 20 points each, so that is where you need to spend your time.

Good luck on your midterm! Smile

I'm working on my final project for the Capstone and am running into trouble trying to figure out how it should be structured/presented. The instructions say to write an original 3500-5500 word (14-20 page) anaytical report. But it doesn't feel like they are asking for a traditional English Composition style academic analytical essay. That doesn't support any of what we've been doing in the course to date. I spent the weekend bogged down trying to research how to do an analytical report rather than actually working on the paper itself.

If anyone here has an example final paper they can share, that would be awesome for me and anyone else looking to complete this course in the future. I've already done a good chunk of the research on my topic, so I don't need any content help, just the organization and/or structure or even an outline to give me some idea of how to put it together and present it. I asked my course mentor and he said he'd like to help but doesn't have permission to share any of the papers he's graded in the past, so he can't provide any examples. He did offer some insights that, while not really providing the structural example that I need, helps a bit.

Thanks. Smile

I've also asked for an example of how the final should be done. Got the same vague response which I felt did not help at all *shrugs*. I'm just going to wing it and see what happens. I ran some numbers and so far, If I do well on everything else, I can still pass the class if I make a 40/100 on the final.
Here is my final paper from the JAN-2018 capstone. It took me about 2 weeks to write (one week to research, one week to type stuff). I tried to follow the rubric as much as I could, but I think I may have left out a few parts. Got a 97 on the paper still. I think I totaled at around 3000 words and 18 pages (not including table of contents and references).

Hopefully this helps!

Attached Files
.docx   TESU BUS-421 JAN 2018 - Final Project.docx (Size: 83.16 KB / Downloads: 80)
BSBA:CIS & ASNSM:CS from TESU - June 2018 Graduation

CLEP: A&I Lit., Intro Sociology, Biology, Western Civ. I & II, US History I & II, American Government, Intro Psychology, Macroecon., Microecon., Princ. of Management, Princ. of Marketing, Intro Business Law, Financial Accounting
DSST: Ethics in America, Intro to World Religions, Computing and Information Systems, Princ. of Finance, Management Information Systems
CollegePlus: Comparative Worldviews, Social Justice
Lumerit: English Comp. I & II, Intro to Business
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra, Intro to Stats
Saylor: Corporate Communications
TECEP: Managerial Accounting. Business in Society, Network Technology
Study.com: Comm 101, Digital Marketing and Advertising
Straighterline: Intro to Programming C++
CSU-Global CBE: Information Systems Analysis and Design
TESU: BUS-421
[-] The following 2 users Like TacticalTechie's post:
  • fork, sburch1991
(01-08-2019, 08:15 AM)fork Wrote: Is it possible to move between sections on the exam? My strategy for exams heavy on essays has always been to read each question first then answer in order from easiest to hardest. Answering the easier ones first gives me time to think about the harder ones and sometimes helps jog my memory or give me ideas for the harder ones.

I don't think so. When you click the next button to move to the following section there is a warning about not being able to return to an earlier section once you finalize the current section. Perhaps once you've completed the last section you can return to earlier ones to review, but I didn't have time to do that since the essays took up so much time.

I rushed through the multiple choice and ended up only getting 6/10 correct, but I would have liked to have been able to return to review them at the end.

(01-08-2019, 08:15 AM)fork Wrote: As for the paper I plan to put it in a structure based on the topic's key factors with an executive summary and conclusion that includes the recommended action. I do think the executive summary is important for a business report and it doesn't take that much extra time to write. I wouldn't worry about it too much otherwise as long as you follow the guidelines for being "organized, coherent, and unified." Obviously I haven't done mine yet so take that how you will.

Yeah, that is pretty much the approach I am taking as well. I knew I would have an executive summary, table of contents, introduction, body, conclusion/recommendation, and references section. The issue for me is what to include in the body and how to organize the information I've collected so far.

The instructions also mention including endnotes, but I don't think those are required if you have a proper references section.

(01-08-2019, 04:57 PM)TacticalTechie Wrote: Here is my final paper from the JAN-2018 capstone. It took me about 2 weeks to write (one week to research, one week to type stuff). I tried to follow the rubric as much as I could, but I think I may have left out a few parts. Got a 97 on the paper still. I think I totaled at around 3000 words and 18 pages (not including table of contents and references).

Hopefully this helps!

That is awesome. It should be a great help to anyone pursuing the BSBA Capstone. Thanks!

My topic covers a different company (Lockheed Martin) since I assumed everyone would do Google, and I thought Lockheed Martin would be interesting to examine. However, this provides a great example of how the final paper can be organized and presented. It appears I was on the right track in my own approach, but this gives me ideas for how I can refine my own paper.

Coincidentally, I also stumbled across another example paper from 2013 that was posted here on the forum. It can be found here for anyone who is looking for a second example. Both examine Google in China, though the one from 2013 was written before Google left China, so it should be interesting to see how they compare and contrast.

Obviously, both papers have been submitted to plagiarism checking, so it would be foolish for anyone to try to copy any of the material, but it should be helpful for people looking for help organizing their thoughts or approach to pursuing the BSBA Capstone final project.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • TacticalTechie
(01-08-2019, 04:57 PM)TacticalTechie Wrote: Here is my final paper from the JAN-2018 capstone. It took me about 2 weeks to write (one week to research, one week to type stuff). I tried to follow the rubric as much as I could, but I think I may have left out a few parts. Got a 97 on the paper still. I think I totaled at around 3000 words and 18 pages (not including table of contents and references).

Hopefully this helps!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!! This is extremely helpful
[-] The following 1 user Likes sburch1991's post:
  • TacticalTechie
Thank you so much for providing an example! Super helpful!
[-] The following 1 user Likes hrriggs03's post:
  • TacticalTechie
Does anyone know how long it takes to get final grade after last day of semester?
(01-26-2019, 08:57 AM)hrriggs03 Wrote: Does anyone know how long it takes to get final grade after last day of semester?

It will depend on your course mentor, but it looks like final grades are required to be posted online by Feb 5th for the November term.

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/grade-sub...n-calendar

Complete:

WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Credit Transfer Evaluation colonelcamp 5 94 3 hours ago
Last Post: jch
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 20 2,561 Yesterday, 02:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 610 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 507 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 531 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 2 342 04-04-2024, 10:10 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 273 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,326 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 250 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 9 551 03-31-2024, 12:07 AM
Last Post: ivanswk78