Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cert
Hi,

I have to say I am pretty disappointed. All the computer certs I have and TESU really does not give much credit for them.

And I'm trying for a computer degree!

Crazy
WGU accepts/requires more certifications than TESU does. If you're a US resident/citizen in the US, it might be worth considering WGU for your degree. Otherwise, TESU isn't too bad. Just very annoying in that regard.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • al329, tallpilot
Tks..I might just make the switch ... still considering.

Even looked into getting the certs credited to my ACE transcript. Nope.

ACE does not list my CISSP or my MS certs.

Blah
I think those are NCCRS and not ACE. TESU might accept the MS certs if you argue with them (there's a thread here about this: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-June-2020 ).
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • al329
(10-10-2020, 06:00 AM)al329 Wrote:
(10-10-2020, 05:13 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(10-10-2020, 05:07 AM)al329 Wrote: I have to say I am pretty disappointed. All the computer certs I have and TESU really does not give much credit for them.

And I'm trying for a computer degree!

WGU accepts/requires more certifications than TESU does. If you're a US resident/citizen in the US, it might be worth considering WGU for your degree. Otherwise, TESU isn't too bad. Just very annoying in that regard.

Tks..I might just make the switch ... still considering.

It is generally not worth trying to get certs transferred to TESU since they don't recognize most of them, and for the ones they do recognize, TESU offers too few credits in equivalency.

If you want to pursue an IT degree and are aiming to use certificates to meet course requirements, WGU is the best option hands down. With the caveat that they are only available to US residents, of course. Though it doesn't sound like that is an issue.

The only rub is that for WGU you will need to find a degree plan that has courses that match the certs you have since there are no electives. So, for example, your CISSP may only be useful to waive requirements for the BS in Network Operations & Security and won't offer any value towards a BS CS degree. On the other hand, an ITIL Foundation, CompTIA A+, or CompTIA Project+ certification applies to most IT degrees at WGU.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • al329, rachel83az
Your best bet for WGU is to look at their transfer guides:

https://partners.wgu.edu/transferguidelines

Also, remember if your certs are older than 5 years they won't accept them (ran into that with my CISSP).
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • al329
(10-10-2020, 06:00 AM)al329 Wrote: Tks..I might just make the switch ... still considering.

Blah
CISSP should be listed on ACE under (ISC)2 but it's only worth 3 credits. Microsoft stopped getting their certs ACE approved but some of their newer certs are now NCCRS approved.

As mentioned, WGU accepts/requires a lot of certs(you can check their cert transfer page for more details) but a school not mentioned very often is Purdue Global and they accept a LOT of certs for transfer and the CISSP alone can transfer in as 14 classes(though it looks like some are graduate level and some are bachelor's level).

https://www.purdueglobal.edu/transfer-st...ion-exams/
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • al329
Purdue University Global has the ExcelTrack program. The CISSP counts as 38cr (quarter-based) which would equate to 25cr semester. But it also gives 21cr of open electives, so you'd get 59cr for that. About ⅓ of the total degree. They also take ACE credit for up to 75% of the degree.

I'm looking at the cloud degree for my husband, he already has an AS, some DSST credits, and VMWare certs. But the real killer is that his AWS cert is worth 55cr for that degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • MNomadic, quigongene, rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Operations Management Cert Add-on Dosada 2 189 03-26-2024, 05:20 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Organizational Leadership Cert SDC transfer credits Kones 5 499 02-10-2024, 03:48 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  TESU Project Management CERT credit from PMI Cert? vetvso 4 766 09-09-2022, 09:38 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  TESU HR Mang. Cert ....help Sb2013 6 1,029 05-11-2020, 05:50 PM
Last Post: Library2HospitalChaplain
  A Cert in Info Systems at TESU TwinMom 2 769 08-17-2019, 12:34 PM
Last Post: TwinMom
  Anyone know if TESU will give credit for PMP Cert? dfrecore 4 1,408 07-22-2019, 02:59 AM
Last Post: BrianFallon
  AA + Cert in Communications - Thoughts? CarpeDiem8 7 943 02-24-2019, 07:36 PM
Last Post: CarpeDiem8