Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU/Study.com: EDU-103/EDU-319...?
This doesn't really affect me in any way because I have plenty of credits and I just did the course for fun (and to get my $ worth with the "extra" Study course credit that was left this month after I finished what I needed), but I do have a question regarding the classification of the course.

Just wondering:

Study.com's Education 103: Classroom Management, which transfers to TESU as EDU-319: Classroom Management Techniques, is listed on Study's website as a Social Science course. So does that make it possibly able to be used as a TESU AOS credit option for a BALS or BA.SS? Or is that just labeled that way for Study's own categorization purposes? I'm guessing the answer is "no" for the BA.SS, as it is not technically a SocSci course, but wanted to see what you all think. I could also ask Academic Advising, but I do have the AOS filled, so probably won't email to ask.
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
That's a hard one. TESU (and most schools) have their own classifications, so they don't always match up with what another school or provider classifies a course/exam as. For instance DSST says Personal Finance is a business exam, but TESU doesn't see it that way. They consider History of the Soviet Union as a humanities, but TESU calls it a SocSci course. Computing & Info Tech listed as math, but not at TESU. Art of the Western World is a SocSci, but TESU says it's a Humanities course. That kind of thing.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:That's a hard one. TESU (and most schools) have their own classifications, so they don't always match up with what another school or provider classifies a course/exam as. For instance DSST says Personal Finance is a business exam, but TESU doesn't see it that way. They consider History of the Soviet Union as a humanities, but TESU calls it a SocSci course. Computing & Info Tech listed as math, but not at TESU. Art of the Western World is a SocSci, but TESU says it's a Humanities course. That kind of thing.

Ahh, okay. I see what you mean. So in general, education courses aren't SocSci, right?
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
Mamasaphire Wrote:Ahh, okay. I see what you mean. So in general, education courses aren't SocSci, right?

I don't think so. But no way to find out except to ask them, since they don't have any of their own courses with EDU as a prefix. The only education courses they have are in nursing.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
TESU lists the DSST Foundations of Education EDU-102 in their "Free Electives Only" section. I wish they would count Education as a Social Science, or a concentration for Liberal Studies at least. We have several people here who are looking for any degree fast so they can get alternate teaching certification and it would be nice if they could have "education" somewhere on their transcript.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
KayV Wrote:TESU lists the DSST Foundations of Education EDU-102 in their "Free Electives Only" section. I wish they would count Education as a Social Science, or a concentration for Liberal Studies at least. We have several people here who are looking for any degree fast so they can get alternate teaching certification and it would be nice if they could have "education" somewhere on their transcript.

Kay, that is a very good point about wanting to teach! Wouldn't the courses still show up on the transcript even if they are in the "other" category?

It looks like there are several "EDU" transfers now showing up on Study, so that may eventually be a possibility if there are enough requests??

Quote:Education 101: Foundations of Education = TESU EDU-102: Foundations of Education 3
Education 103: Classroom Management = TESU EDU-319: Classroom Management Techniques 3
Education 104: Differentiated Instruction = TESU EDU-299: Special Topics in Education 3
Education 105: Special Education History & Law = TESU SPE-200: Introduction to Special Education 3
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

dfrecore Wrote:I don't think so. But no way to find out except to ask them, since they don't have any of their own courses with EDU as a prefix. The only education courses they have are in nursing.

I have it on my ACE transcript which is currently waiting in someone's inbox @ TESU, so when I do my pre-grad Academic Eval consult, if I remember, I'll ask to have it placed in my AOS Wink I guess the answer will show what they are allowing it to be used as.
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

The courses do show up, and you could cobble together the equivalent of a Liberal Studies concentration with the Study courses and UExcel Literacy Instruction in the Elementary School. Even if they were all counted as free electives, they would look good on a transcript for admission to an alternate certification program. I still think it would be nice to have something official on the transcript though.

Education 101: Foundations of Education = TESU EDU-102: Foundations of Education 3
Education 103: Classroom Management = TESU EDU-319: Classroom Management Techniques 3
Education 104: Differentiated Instruction = TESU EDU-299: Special Topics in Education 3
Education 105: Special Education History & Law = TESU SPE-200: Introduction to Special Education 3
UExcel Literacy Instruction in the Elementary School =TESU EDU-399 Special Topics in Education 6 (Lindagerr appealed to have it count as TESU upper level)

You can use these credits at both Charter Oak (ECE/ Child Studies) and Excelsior (BSLA Depth or Area of Focus) if you need to have Education officially listed on your transcript for certification purposes.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
KayV Wrote:TESU lists the DSST Foundations of Education EDU-102 in their "Free Electives Only" section. I wish they would count Education as a Social Science, or a concentration for Liberal Studies at least. We have several people here who are looking for any degree fast so they can get alternate teaching certification and it would be nice if they could have "education" somewhere on their transcript.

I meant that they don't list them on the Gen Ed page, and they don't have any of their own courses in EDU.

I agree that you could have them on your transcript though as Free Electives. And it would certainly make sense to have it as a concentration, especially for the new BSPS degree, where it lists tons of "specialized career tracks" like dental hygiene, executive assistant, fashion, etc.

Good news: here is something on the BSPS page that might be helpful for the Education people:

• Paralegal/Legal Studies
  • Police Science/Homeland Security/Criminal Justice
  • Military Studies/Military Science
  • Office Systems Technology/Executive Assistant
  • Health Services: Dental Hygiene/Sonography/ Respiratory Therapy/Radiation Therapy/etc.
  • Real Estate
  • Mortuary Science
  • Business: Accounting/Retail Management/Fashion/Sports Management/etc.
  • Drafting
  • Culinary Arts/Hospitality
*This list of subjects is offered as a guide. Other subjects may also be considered appropriate for this major area of study. Please consult Academic Advising to inquire about additional subject areas.

It would certainly be worth checking into, and even asking about having it added to the BALS as one of the concentrations.
Great minds, Dfrecore. I was looking at that last night and here's one way you could complete the BSPS with a concentration in Education.

TESU BSPS Education with Study Courses

Specialized Career Track in Education

Professional Studies Component
1. Study/ Saylor etc. Business 102: Principles of Marketing/ TESU MAR-301: Introduction to Marketing 3UL
2. Study Business 308: Globalization and International Management/ TESU MAN-372: International Management 3UL
3. Study Business 309: Digital Marketing & Advertising/ TESU MAR-441: Marketing With Digital & Social Media 3UL
4. Saylor/ TECEP Managerial Communications MAN-373 3 UL
5. TECEP Negotiations and Conflict Management NEG-401 OR Study/ SL Business Ethics (NOT Insurance Ethics, it’s only 2 credits, and you will need Ethics in America or Environmental Ethics for general ed) 3UL

Career Track Component
6. Study/DSST Education 101: Foundations of Education/ TESU EDU-102: Foundations of Education 3
7. Study Education 103: Classroom Management/ TESU EDU-319: Classroom Management Techniques 3UL
8. Study Education 104: Differentiated Instruction/ TESU EDU-299: Special Topics in Education 3
9. UExcel Literacy Instruction in the Elementary School/ TESU EDU-399: Special Topics in Education 6UL

Supportive Professional Studies Courses
10. Study/ SL/ DSST Personal Finance TESU BUE-101 3
11. TECEP Intro to Entrepreneurship TESU MAN-230 3
12. Study/ DSST Developmental Psychology TESU PSY-211 3
13. Study Social Psychology TESU PSY-370 3
14. SL/ DSST Intro to Anthropology TESU ANT-101 3
15. SL/ Study/ CLEP Intro to Sociology TESU SOC-101 3
16. Professional Studies Capstone 3UL
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KayV's post:
  • HistoryMaker

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com charged me another month without my consent Livia_Drusila 4 113 Yesterday, 03:20 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,462 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,629 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,238 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 373 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 763 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 370 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,041 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,915 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 595 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle