Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU enrollment and class changes
Hi,
I have two main questions.  My son has begun working on his degree from TESU - plans to double major in CS and CIS.  

1) I know there's uncertainty about TESU accepting some classes starting in June/July.  Looking at what my son still needs to be completed, are there classes you'd suggest he try to take immediately -  to try to finish by July? 
CIS Degree Plan (with concurrrent CS degree) - Google Sheets
(blue highlights are completed classes; pink highlights are In Progress)

2)Also, can someone remind me how it works with enrolling as an actual student so that all classes continue to transfer in?  He did the initial enrollment - and has had many classes transfer, but has now hit the limit and no more will show as transferred unless he takes a class there.  Do TECEPs count as a class? 
Regarding the classes to take at TESU, @bjcheung77 had suggested we take 12 credits or 13 for the first term, and the two capstones along with a final course for the last term.  I'm assuming those semesters would be at the very end, after all other classes are taken? 

Thank you!
1.) Things to take from SDC ASAP:
Computer Architecture
Data Structures
Computer Science 105: Introduction to Operating Systems

That's the bare minimum. Any other UL Comp Sci should also be taken ASAP.

2.) Sign up for the Medical Terminology TECEP. It's $50. Son doesn't have to take it. If you sign up for it for July, more evaluations will unlock between the 6th and the 10th of July.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(06-09-2022, 08:30 AM)rachel83az Wrote: 1.) Things to take from SDC ASAP:
Computer Architecture
Data Structures
Computer Science 105: Introduction to Operating Systems

That's the bare minimum. Any other UL Comp Sci should also be taken ASAP.

2.) Sign up for the Medical Terminology TECEP. It's $50. Son doesn't have to take it. If you sign up for it for July, more evaluations will unlock between the 6th and the 10th of July.

Thank you!  Can you explain further what is going to happen with SCD and TESU and these dates?  How does enrollment fit into it?  Is the idea that we have to be actively enrolled (hence signing up for the Medical Terminology TECEP) in order for the SDC classes to be safe on the transcript?  What are the hard dates we are trying to beat? 

When you say he doesn't actually have to take that TECEP - are you saying we if we just pay for it, something will happen with evaluations in July?  

I had printed out the wiki roadmaps for CS a few months ago...things have changed since then.  Computer Science 105 wasn't listed then as a class that could be taken for Operating Systems.   Also, the SDC class for Computer Architecture wasn't listed there either (it was just one from Oregon State).  So, we had planned to take them at TESU.  I'm assuming SDC is better?  I can't remember how many classes are required to be taken at TESU.
We don't know what's going to happen with SDC in July. They've been saying that they're going to drop some courses, but we don't know which ones. You want to make sure that you've taken the ones that are most difficult to obtain without SDC, which means a focus on UL courses and the ones in my last post.

If you send the transcript to TESU at the end of June but they're not able to evaluate it until July due to lack of full enrollment, it should be okay. But you might need to argue. It depends on exactly what changes happen and what they say when they do the evaluation. BTW, things like this are why we really suggest that students enroll as soon as they're sure that they'll be attending TESU. Until courses are securely evaluated on your transcript, TESU can change their mind at any time and there's nothing you can do about it. When you sign up for a TECEP (any TECEP), you're fully enrolled on the 6th or 10th day of the term; I don't remember which.

The wiki didn't have those courses on there previously because students were being told that the courses were no longer being accepted. But they were. Now, there are rumors that different courses may no longer be accepted. But we're not 100% sure if they're telling the truth and, if so, which ones are on the chopping block. In general, SDC is quicker, easier, and cheaper than the courses you'll find elsewhere.

TESU only requires 6 credits for every degree. However, in order to avoid paying the residency waiver fee, you need at least 16 TESU credits. Whether you do 6 credits at TESU or 16, you also need at least 30 RA credits. The RA credits don't have to come from TESU, they can come from anywhere.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
For the BSBA CIS, there can only be 3 overlaps with the BA CS AOS and those 3 must be Systems Analysis, Database Management, and MIS or else you won't have enough UL for the BA CS.

Check out the Double Degree Plan for reference
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan

For the final UL course for BA CS, you can do TESU Software Engineering or another TESU CS course or do the TECEP Network exam.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(06-09-2022, 12:56 PM)LevelUP Wrote: For the BSBA CIS, there can only be 3 overlaps with the BA CS AOS and those 3 must be Systems Analysis, Database Management, and MIS or else you won't have enough UL for the BA CS.

For the final UL course for BA CS, you can do TESU Software Engineering or another TESU CS course or do the TECEP Network exam.

Thank you!  All these charts and courses are hard for me to wrap my mind around!  Would you be able to look at my spreadsheet and tell me what I have listed that will not work?  I think that might help me understand better.  

(06-09-2022, 01:46 PM)ACI Wrote:
(06-09-2022, 12:56 PM)LevelUP Wrote: For the BSBA CIS, there can only be 3 overlaps with the BA CS AOS and those 3 must be Systems Analysis, Database Management, and MIS or else you won't have enough UL for the BA CS.

Thank you!  All these charts and courses are hard for me to wrap my mind around!  Would you be able to look at my spreadsheet and tell me what I have listed that will not work?  I think that might help me understand better.  

Here are a few things I noticed that jumped out at me.

(Sophia) Intro to Psych doesn't work anymore for Humanities, you need something else.

In the professional business requirements, you need 2 UL courses, one is the capstone, other you can do principles of management from Sophia (optional) or stick with the (SDC) Business 324 Managerial Communication that you have planned.

CIS Computer programming needs to be a different course such as SDC Computer Science 115: Programming in Java. This course can't overlap AOS with ASU intro programming CS course.

Data Structures can't overlap AOS, only goes in CS.

Operating Systems isn't a UL from SDC. This course can't overlap AOS and only goes in CS.

Looks like you are missing SDC Business 309: Digital Marketing & Advertising (UL) for one of the UL courses for BSBA CIS

Discrete Mathematics isn't UL from TESU or SDC.

Computer Architecture and Discrete Mathematics would probably be better to take at SDC.

You need one more UL course for CS. (total of 5 UL courses for CS, 4 UL CIS, or 6 UL combined for both degrees)
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • ACI
Due to the number of days left to that July 1 date, I would recommend completing the Study.com courses that are lower level as they'll be easier/faster to finish compared to the upper level ones with assignments. Further to that, you can take the course at TESU and have them part of the 16 credits for residency (or if you decide to do the opposite, that would work as well). Again, work on Study.com first and then complete other courses outside of Study.com... In regards to the TECEP, pay for it and forget it, you'll automatically be enrolled after the 10th day of the month.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which class to take? ACI 6 122 Yesterday, 03:35 PM
Last Post: AllThose299s
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 696 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 261 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,158 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy