Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TN makes CC free for all adults w/o a degree
http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/11/pf/colle...index.html
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • Life Long Learning
Wow that's awesomefor those residents! Wish I was in TN right now.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I didn't read the article but I live in TN. It's a pretty good setup. It can get confusing, but the basics are you must be able to qualify for federal aid. You don't take student loans, you just have to use any and all federal grants you qualify for then the state picks up the rest. There is a list of schools you can use. Some online, some on campus
There are also some 4 year schools you can use but the state won't pay for everything but that gets confusing.
I tried to get in on the deal but had problems due to my fasfa. I was married to a different person in 2015 and have to use that tax return to register. Having a hard time dealing with it so I cannot finish the application.
In CA, they are playing with free CC (passed a bill, but it hasn't been funded). But, our local CC has a $1M grant (not taxpayer money) to offer free CC to students who graduate from local high schools nearby (55 schools in 14 districts), called the Palomar Promise program. Free tuition, and $350/semester for books. 1 year max, and at least 12cr per semester, so you can't goof around.

San Marcos residents who graduate from one of the San Marcos Unified School district high schools (all 4 years) also qualify for the Palomar Promise+ program, which is the 2nd year free as well (the CC is in SM).

We are paying extra property taxes including a bond paying for Palomar, so I wouldn't say it's technically "free". And, it doesn't apply to other schools, so you ONLY get to go to Palomar. But since I'm paying for it anyway, I'm glad my kid will probably get to use it.

Our local 4-yr state university offers guaranteed admission to those who graduate from these HS's and then graduate/transfer from the CC.

I know another city near Sacramento is doing this as well - all kids who graduate from Rancho Cordova USD HS's can go to the RC satellite campus of American River College (a large CC). They voted it in, and are paying through property taxes as well there.

Overall it's a good deal, and it's nice to have it available. We shall see if other ares follow in our footsteps, and get the whole extra government funding problem out of the way entirely - that would be nice.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Muldoon, Nodaclu
Oh and the TN thing isn't for kids right out of high school. There is another deal that offers that, but the TN reconnect has age/circumstance requirements also.
It's *super* confusing.

The grant is a 'last dollar' grant.

Useless to me... they won't let it apply to graduate programs, which I totally understand, but still, I wished this had played out earlier...
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

(05-12-2018, 05:56 PM)High_Order1 Wrote: It's *super* confusing.

Useless to me... they won't let it apply to graduate programs, which I totally understand, but still, I wished this had played out earlier...

The 'last dollar' grants are common.  Why would a program give you money to go to school if you could get financial aid for it?  Our grants and state funded programs are 'last dollar' as well.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-12-2018, 07:29 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-12-2018, 05:56 PM)High_Order1 Wrote: It's *super* confusing.

The 'last dollar' grants are common.  Why would a program give you money to go to school if you could get financial aid for it?  Our grants and state funded programs are 'last dollar' as well.

You have to use any federal grants you qualify for. They cover for the cost over those grants. The goal is the ability to get a 2 year degree without cost to you. They don't want you to have to take out loans. You just have to be able to qualify for the loans. I guess their reasoning on that is that if you have done something that disqualified you from school loans then you don't deserve their grant money.
Last dollar awards via community colleges almost always amount to a whole lotta nothing. Unless your CC program is exceptionally expensive, you'll have to exceed the Pell Grant award before money kicks in. So at about $5600 for a Pell, your CC needs to cost at least $180 per credit before you use all the Pell. Of course, zero tuition is zero tuition - so jump on that.
(05-14-2018, 06:48 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Last dollar awards via community colleges almost always amount to a whole lotta nothing.  Unless your CC program is exceptionally expensive, you'll have to exceed the Pell Grant award before money kicks in.  So at about $5600 for a Pell, your CC needs to cost at least $180 per credit before you use all the Pell.  Of course, zero tuition is zero tuition - so jump on that.

Ah, but for those of us who wouldn't qualify for a Pell (or any financial aid whatsoever), the last dollar will be useful, because it will be the only dollar!
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa, jsd

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abide University Honorary Doctors Degree bjcheung77 0 572 07-07-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TEFL opportunities without a degree Personherebb9 3 508 06-11-2023, 03:09 AM
Video Uncle Tom Movie Now Free on YouTube LevelUP 5 1,249 07-22-2022, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Is Genocide Ok as Long as It Makes Everyone Happy? LevelUP 7 1,107 06-12-2022, 08:21 PM
  Free Pair of Prescription Glasses! Add-ons available... bjcheung77 7 1,252 05-12-2022, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  for those who have a math degree - is your job math related ? bluebooger 0 538 03-22-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  How has getting a degree from the Big Three (and others) changed your career or life? schristian10 3 943 01-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: williammosher
  PDF Converter by Readdle (Free for ios - ipad/iphone) bjcheung77 0 723 01-10-2022, 02:02 AM
  FREE editing and video production software bjcheung77 11 3,483 11-20-2021, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Eneys
  9yr Old Kid Has More Balls That Most Adults Speaks Out Against Mask Child Abuse LevelUP 15 1,803 09-29-2021, 03:00 PM
Last Post: mojave