Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Texas Law on Using Substandard Degrees
Sec. 32.52.  FRAUDULENT, SUBSTANDARD, OR FICTITIOUS DEGREE.  (a)  In this section, "fraudulent or substandard degree" has the meaning assigned by Section 61.302, Education Code.

(b)  A person commits an offense if the person:

(1)  uses or claims to hold a postsecondary degree that the person knows:

(A)  is a fraudulent or substandard degree;

(B)  is fictitious or has otherwise not been granted to the person; or

©  has been revoked; and

(2)  uses or claims to hold that degree:

(A)  in a written or oral advertisement or other promotion of a business; or

(B)  with the intent to:

(i)  obtain employment;

(ii)  obtain a license or certificate to practice a trade, profession, or occupation;

(iii)  obtain a promotion, a compensation or other benefit, or an increase in compensation or other benefit, in employment or in the practice of a trade, profession, or occupation;

(iv)  obtain admission to an educational program in this state; or

(v)  gain a position in government with authority over another person, regardless of whether the actor receives compensation for the position.

©  An offense under this section is a Class B misdemeanor.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/.../PE.32.htm

(11)  "Fraudulent or substandard degree" means:

(A)  a degree conferred by a private postsecondary educational institution or other person that, at the time the degree was conferred, was operating in this state in violation of this subchapter;

(B)  if the degree is not approved through the review process described by Section 61.3021, a degree conferred by a private educational institution or other person that, at the time the degree was conferred, was not eligible to receive a certificate of authority under this subchapter and was operating in another state:

(i)  in violation of a law regulating the conferral of degrees in that state or in the state in which the degree recipient was residing;  or

(ii)  without accreditation by a recognized accrediting agency;  or

©  if conferred by a private educational institution or other person not described by Paragraph (A) or (B), including a private educational institution or other person that, at the time the degree was conferred, was not eligible to receive a certificate of authority under this subchapter and was operating outside the United States, a degree that the board, through the review process described by Section 61.3021, determines is not the equivalent of an accredited or authorized degree as described by that section.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/...htm#61.302
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
What does Texas's law on degrees have to do with grad school? Confused by this thread.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • AwardTour, FastTrackDegree
(07-28-2021, 12:54 PM)ss20ts Wrote: What does Texas's law on degrees have to do with grad school? Confused by this thread.

I decided to post in the Graduate School sub-forum since that's where most of the ENEB discussions occur. I'm just informing people that there is a legal gray area in using a degree that's been evaluated as a non-accredited master's to obtain a job, promotion, or pay raise. If you're advertising it as an accredited graduate certificate or bachelor's degree, you might be okay.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(07-28-2021, 12:56 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 12:54 PM)ss20ts Wrote: What does Texas's law on degrees have to do with grad school? Confused by this thread.

I decided to post in the Graduate School sub-forum since that's where most of the ENEB discussions occur. I'm just informing people that there is a legal gray area in using a degree that's been evaluated as a non-accredited master's to obtain a job, promotion, or pay raise. If you're advertising it as an accredited graduate certificate or bachelor's degree, you might be okay.

It doesn't really define what they mean by substandard. It talks about degrees earned from other states not other countries from what I see. Most of us don't live in Texas so this wouldn't apply to us. There are schools in the US that aren't accredited either. This says nothing about accreditation.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, rachel83az
(07-28-2021, 01:03 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 12:56 PM)sanantone Wrote:

It doesn't really define what they mean by substandard. It talks about degrees earned from other states not other countries from what I see. Most of us don't live in Texas so this wouldn't apply to us. There are schools in the US that aren't accredited either. This says nothing about accreditation.

It does mention accreditation. I posted the definition of substandard. If the school is not accredited, then it needs to be given a certificate of authority by the State of Texas to award degrees. Otherwise, holders of their degrees cannot advertise that they have those degrees for employment or licensing purposes. The education code also mentions that the board will evaluate foreign schools, but they will not evaluate foreign schools that are offering first professional degrees, such as the MD, DVM, and LLB. There is an application and fee for evaluation. 

Texas has 29 million people and is the second most populous state in the country. It should not be an issue that Texas-specific laws are being shared. It should encourage people to check their own state laws to make sure they are not committing an offense by using a non-accredited master's degree for employment purposes or to gain business.

(07-28-2021, 12:49 PM)sanantone Wrote: Sec. 32.52.  FRAUDULENT, SUBSTANDARD, OR FICTITIOUS DEGREE.  (a)  In this section, "fraudulent or substandard degree" has the meaning assigned by Section 61.302, Education Code.

(b)  A person commits an offense if the person:

(1)  uses or claims to hold a postsecondary degree that the person knows:

(A)  is a fraudulent or substandard degree;

(B)  is fictitious or has otherwise not been granted to the person; or

©  has been revoked; and

(2)  uses or claims to hold that degree:

(A)  in a written or oral advertisement or other promotion of a business; or

(B)  with the intent to:

(i)  obtain employment;

(ii)  obtain a license or certificate to practice a trade, profession, or occupation;

(iii)  obtain a promotion, a compensation or other benefit, or an increase in compensation or other benefit, in employment or in the practice of a trade, profession, or occupation;

(iv)  obtain admission to an educational program in this state; or

(v)  gain a position in government with authority over another person, regardless of whether the actor receives compensation for the position.

©  An offense under this section is a Class B misdemeanor.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/.../PE.32.htm

(A)  a degree conferred by a private postsecondary educational institution or other person that, at the time the degree was conferred, was operating in this state in violation of this subchapter;

(B)  if the degree is not approved through the review process described by Section 61.3021, a degree conferred by a private educational institution or other person that, at the time the degree was conferred, was not eligible to receive a certificate of authority under this subchapter and was operating in another state:

(i)  in violation of a law regulating the conferral of degrees in that state or in the state in which the degree recipient was residing;  or

©  if conferred by a private educational institution or other person not described by Paragraph (A) or (B), including a private educational institution or other person that, at the time the degree was conferred, was not eligible to receive a certificate of authority under this subchapter and was operating outside the United States, a degree that the board, through the review process described by Section 61.3021, determines is not the equivalent of an accredited or authorized degree as described by that section.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/...htm#61.302
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
An international college isn't going to be accredited in the US. No where in all of that does it define substandard. Things that are common in laws and when they're challenged it's considered a loophole.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
(07-28-2021, 01:22 PM)ss20ts Wrote: An international college isn't going to be accredited in the US. No where in all of that does it define substandard. Things that are common in laws and when they're challenged it's considered a loophole.

Let me try again. 

if conferred by a private educational institution or other person not described by Paragraph (A) or (B), including a private educational institution or other person that, at the time the degree was conferred, was not eligible to receive a certificate of authority under this subchapter and was operating outside the United States, a degree that the board, through the review process described by Section 61.3021, determines is not the equivalent of an accredited or authorized degree as described by that section.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
You copying and pasting the same thing over and over isn't helpful in a conversation. You are totally missing what I'm saying. But whatever. You go enjoy Texas and your laws.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
(07-28-2021, 01:28 PM)ss20ts Wrote: You copying and pasting the same thing over and over isn't helpful in a conversation. You are totally missing what I'm saying. But whatever. You go enjoy Texas and your laws.

What else can be done? You said it mentions nothing about accreditation, and it clearly does. You said it doesn't say anything about international schools, and it clearly does. You said that it does not define substandard, and it literally gives a definition for substandard.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
How would this apply to online companies who advertise their CEO as having a Ph.D. from a non-accredited degree mill? One example that comes to mind is John Jaquish of Osteostrong and X3 Bar who claims to have a Ph.D. from Rushmore University. Another high-profile figure is Kent Hovind who has multiple non-accredited "degrees." Is there legal recourse against people who misrepresent their credentials?
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Has anyone tried recognizing ENEB/UC1 or UoPeople degrees in Australia? ecdw94 11 1,098 04-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Master degrees hicham78h 1 268 04-23-2024, 02:11 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Zealand Online Degrees doyouhowdo1 1 361 03-31-2024, 10:46 AM
  Country Preview : Graduate/Doctorate Degrees in Malaysia bjcheung77 11 2,471 01-13-2024, 11:34 AM
  Updated List of MOOC Bachelors/Masters degrees bjcheung77 3 2,075 09-26-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: mcjon77
  Assessing the International Equivalency/acceptance of Online Degrees from the Big 3 Aimed 10 1,534 05-02-2023, 06:15 AM
Last Post: faresayari
  Online MSc Degrees - University of Bath UK bjcheung77 1 533 04-12-2023, 04:26 PM
Last Post: learnforlife
  InformaConnect Masters Degrees freeloader 4 1,168 02-25-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Life_One
  Some Master’s Degrees Are the Second Biggest Scam in Higher Education LevelUP 18 3,053 02-11-2023, 07:06 PM
Last Post: aslhou
  UoPeople Degrees accepted for University of London MSc Computer Science & more? JPN 2 1,297 02-07-2023, 08:43 AM
Last Post: debrag