Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Texas Law on Using Substandard Degrees
(07-29-2021, 04:07 PM)openair Wrote: I live in Europe. In my country, the Spanish titulos propios have all been designated as a "graduate-level certificate" by one of the national ENIC-NARIC agencies. This essentially solves the problem of credential representation. There’s now a precedent for presenting them as degrees in the U.S, although some American evaluation agencies have likewise placed them in the graduate certificate (or graduate credit) category. I agree that you should attempt to present your credentials in accordance with laws in a given locale. I simply spoke up for the general legitimacy of ENEB credentials.
Thank you for your rational, mature contribution to the thread.

There are thousands of threads sharing state-specific information pertaining to higher education. It is not a violation of forum rules. We need a moderator who will not encourage people to be ugly just because they don't have a personal interest in a thread, but that's not really what's going on here. People aren't rude and nasty because they lack interest in something they can easily skip over. They're being emotional and defensive and have demonstrated great interest in the thread by continuing to read and comment in it.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(07-29-2021, 03:45 PM)jsd Wrote: I don't get the emotional attachment to ENEB that prevents any honest discussion on this forum about possible shortcomings of the school.

It could be 100% perfect for your personal situation, but that doesn't mean valid concerns like this should be shouted down.

I'd be happy to tell people what I don't like about GT, WGU, TESU, or any other school or provider I've utilized. I'm happy to disagree and discuss with some criticism in other situations regarding these institutions where I think it is unfair. But with ENEB, if you even hint at any very obvious issues the program presents, it's like you've insulted someone's faith around here.

I don't mind honest discussion about it, but I do have a problem with certain people (none of whom are on this thread) whose "criticism" amounts to "lol its fake and ur a fraud and/or an idiot." I've dealt with that my whole adult life with every credential or certificate I've held. First, my community college wasn't "real college," then WGU wasn't "a real university," then my CCNP was only obtained because I "cheated," and on and on that damnable wheel turns. Frankly, I'm sick and tired of putting up with it.

My contention on this whole thread really had nothing to do with ENEB and everything to do with UI1. I agree, by and large, with the assessment that ENEB doesn't have specific authority to grant degrees and that the degrees from that company are of questionable value by themselves. It's not even a postsecondary institution, just a learning center, not unlike the U of Wales arrangement, the agreements at UpGrad, or some of the Coursera/EdX deals. We do have some evidence that UI1 has influence over the curriculum based on how this same or very similar curriculum is used by many UI1 partner centers, which is why the comparison is apt. Side note: It is even more similar to the UoWales arrangements because many of those resulted in a legit, verifiable degree from the University of Wales without a transcript. 

Once we established that the primary concern was whether the institution was legally authorized to issue degrees in Spain, I backed off because:
1. I agree that ENEB does not have this authority
2. I do not recommend that people use the ENEB certificate by itself literally anywhere, let alone Texas
3. I did not enroll in ENEB because I thought they were prestigious or accredited in their own right
4. UI1 is legally authorized to issue degrees
5. My degree, the one I'll be using on my resume, is from UI1

Then there's the ethics debate, but I wouldn't disclose that I went to "Mickey Mouse's School of Business" if I had a degree from the University of Wales because I believe the school already vetted my educational provider for quality and, thus, my degree from that university would be from that university alone. Just like how I don't imagine anyone doing a degree through UpGrad is ethically obligated to say, "I got my Deakin MBA by going through the UpGrad course provider" and how I don't walk around telling everyone that I got a bunch of credits in my BSc from nonstandard sources.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Master degrees hicham78h 1 198 7 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Has anyone tried recognizing ENEB/UC1 or UoPeople degrees in Australia? ecdw94 10 995 04-17-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: ecdw94
  New Zealand Online Degrees doyouhowdo1 1 354 03-31-2024, 10:46 AM
  Country Preview : Graduate/Doctorate Degrees in Malaysia bjcheung77 11 2,456 01-13-2024, 11:34 AM
  Updated List of MOOC Bachelors/Masters degrees bjcheung77 3 2,072 09-26-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: mcjon77
  Assessing the International Equivalency/acceptance of Online Degrees from the Big 3 Aimed 10 1,530 05-02-2023, 06:15 AM
Last Post: faresayari
  Online MSc Degrees - University of Bath UK bjcheung77 1 533 04-12-2023, 04:26 PM
Last Post: learnforlife
  InformaConnect Masters Degrees freeloader 4 1,167 02-25-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Life_One
  Some Master’s Degrees Are the Second Biggest Scam in Higher Education LevelUP 18 3,040 02-11-2023, 07:06 PM
Last Post: aslhou
  UoPeople Degrees accepted for University of London MSc Computer Science & more? JPN 2 1,293 02-07-2023, 08:43 AM
Last Post: debrag