Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Duggars and CollegePlus
IrishJohn Wrote:And yet if I had of discovered CP in 2007 I would have been fine with paying $3,000 if I still didn't find out about TESC and this forum until a couple of years later. The money is nothing compared to the lost time. Part of this is probably a generational thing. There was no internet when I was a teen and later on in my 20s online schools were looked down upon severely as being nothing more than diploma mills. Some of that was for good reason but the legit programs like TESC never filtered through to the general public of my age group at least.

John Bear was writing about distance education decades before the internet. He probably started writing about TESC forty years ago. He made a living providing the kind of advice that is free today.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
sanantone Wrote:If I would have discovered CP before I had discovered TESC, the first thing I would do is look up the school they were recommending because I had never heard of TESC. Looking at TESC's website, one should quickly discover that CP is an unnecessary middle man. I can tell that College Network annoys Excelsior. That's another evil company.Big Grin

Not necessarily. I can't remember now just how I discovered this forum or whether I found this place or about TESC first. Somehow I stumbled across one and soon after learned about the other. Yet I do know that if knew about TESC without having discovered this forum as well it would have made a significant difference in how I finished my degree. Remember that most TESC students do not "test out" of most of their degrees and many do not even know that this is an option. It is this forum which gave me the information I needed to finish a degree, which CP would have filled the place of for a price if I'd never heard of this place. So yeah, I far prefer to get the info for free but I wouldn't have been too upset if I had paid CP back in 2007 for it. Finishing a degree meant a helluva lot to me and if I could have done it sooner it undoubtedly would have helped more in my career.
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
clep3705 Wrote:John Bear was writing about distance education decades before the internet. He probably started writing about TESC forty years ago. He made a living providing the kind of advice that is free today.

John Bear's book isn't $3,000.

IrishJohn Wrote:Not necessarily. I can't remember now just how I discovered this forum or whether I found this place or about TESC first. Somehow I stumbled across one and soon after learned about the other. Yet I do know that if knew about TESC without having discovered this forum as well it would have made a significant difference in how I finished my degree. Remember that most TESC students do not "test out" of most of their degrees and many do not even know that this is an option. It is this forum which gave me the information I needed to finish a degree, which CP would have filled the place of for a price if I'd never heard of this place. So yeah, I far prefer to get the info for free but I wouldn't have been too upset if I had paid CP back in 2007 for it. Finishing a degree meant a helluva lot to me and if I could have done it sooner it undoubtedly would have helped more in my career.

CP tells you on the website that you'll use CLEP, DSST, ECE and other options to complete your degree. That's enough information to put two and two together and start doing your own research. But I fault TESC students for not doing enough research just like I fault other students who unnecessarily pay outrageous tuition rates to the likes of Devry and even no-name liberal arts colleges. To be honest, I wouldn't even have been able to afford college plus. They require that half of the enrollment cost plus $100 be paid upfront. Someone without more than $1500 lying around would have to enroll in a college anyway and hope to have enough financial aid money leftover to pay CP. If I would have done that, I wouldn't even have had enough money to pay for the TESC enrollment fee.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Just a quick note: I was in conversations with a sales rep from cp a few months ago . . . after I explained how I had mapped out my degree plan, I was told that I didn't need their services. My point being, they aren't scammers. If they don't think they can add value, they say so.
ncpenn Wrote:Just a quick note: I was in conversations with a sales rep from cp a few months ago . . . after I explained how I had mapped out my degree plan, I was told that I didn't need their services. My point being, they aren't scammers. If they don't think they can add value, they say so.

That still doesn't make their "services" worth $3k, especially when some of their members have to come here for free advice.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
clep3705 Wrote:John Bear was writing about distance education decades before the internet. He probably started writing about TESC forty years ago. He made a living providing the kind of advice that is free today.

Never heard of him before discovering this forum and TESC. I doubt that many people had heard of him.

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

sanantone Wrote:CP tells you on the website that you'll use CLEP, DSST, ECE and other options to complete your degree. That's enough information to put two and two together and start doing your own research.

It may seem elementary to you but it isn't for many folks, including myself prior to 2009. Today I would agree with you because of what I learned after discovering this forum and TESC so therefore would not recommend CP to others. Without this forum especially I seriously doubt I would have for various reasons mostly "cultural" or "generational" I suppose.

sanantone Wrote:That still doesn't make their "services" worth $3k, especially when some of their members have to come here for free advice.

Agreed. Some still people need the structure that CP has created for some reason, which is a waste of money IMO if they are coming here too for advice, but if it fulfills a need for them and they are able to finish their degree I suppose it has some worth to it. The most important thing is their finishing a degree and getting into the career they aspire to.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. CollegePlus, is college plus 3K. That 3K can go a long ways... heck, that covers TESC's enrollment fee.

However, a lot of people will gladly pay the 3K because they're just happy to be saving 10-40x that amount. They're so happy that they're saving 90% they don't stop and think they could save 95%. Many people aren't aware that it can be done without guidance and "professional" help. I'm not a HUGE fan of CollegePlus, but I don't HATE them either. I say let them alone and if people want to pay the 3K, let them. How many thousands of people will pay a contractor several thousand to finish their basement, or an extra room? They're charging that family several thousand extra then what it would cost to do it yourself, but they still do it. You also have to think about CollegePlus's main audience, a lot of them are homeschooled highschoolers and the parents may be intimated, especially when the parents may not have a degree themselves.
From a business standpoint, they're doing a pretty good job. Exactly what entrepreneurs are supposed to. As Jenifer stated, he found a niche.
Do I like the fact that CP is charging 3K for services and info that is free. No, but at the same time, how great it is it that they're saving thousands of people millions upon millions of dollars? They're saving people money, saving 'em time, helping them get degrees, and in the mean time have created 100 jobs. What more do you want... what need is there to hate them?

BTW, as I said, I don't like CP much, but I also don't hate them. BUT, for those of you that do hate them, what are you doing to try and save all those people, that extra 3K? How are you "combating" ColelgePlus? You don't like it, you'd rather get the info for free, what are you doing to get them the info? Or do actions not follow your words? If not, keep calm and plug away. Big Grin

That's my 2 cents and I hope I didn't offend anyone.
I have over 1400 posts on this forum. That's what I'm doing for free. I thought that would be obvious. I also participate in other education forums that are read by hundreds of people on top of helping people with their degree plans in direct messages. I've spent countless hours putting together TESC degree plans for everyone to read on this forum and the Degree Forum Wiki in addition to researching free and low cost options for obtaining credit even though I've already completed my undergraduate degrees. I've spent dozens of hours researching colleges other than the Big 3 for special cases on other forums. I've answered way more questions on this forum than I've asked FOR FREE! My actions came before my words. Thank you and goodnight.

If you want to donate money to me so that I can build a website with this free information and advertise, I'll gladly do so. Since I'm not charging $3,000 per person, I don't have the money that CP has to advertise and I definitely cannot pay a reality tv family for an endorsement.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CollegePlus is Now Lumerit Education/Scholar sanantone 43 13,455 04-26-2018, 09:16 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  CollegePlus ACE accredited courses Westerner 23 3,113 09-13-2014, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Westerner