Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Jesus factor
Just curious...I belong to quite a few message boards (this being the only selfstudy-type forum though) and this one is the only one that seems to be filled with christians. I see bible based handles, lots of quotes, etc.
Any theory on why that is? There's no religious connotation to the site...Is it just because the clep route is dominated by homeschoolers and homeschoolers are predominately christian?
Not meaning to offend anyone, just something I've wondered since I joined...
betch Wrote:... Any theory on why that is? ...

[COLOR="Navy"]Because Christ makes all things possible.

Ever notice the [SIZE="4"]+ [/SIZE](sign of the cross) after my name?[/COLOR]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
betch Wrote:Just curious...I belong to quite a few message boards (this being the only selfstudy-type forum though) and this one is the only one that seems to be filled with christians. I see bible based handles, lots of quotes, etc.
Any theory on why that is? There's no religious connotation to the site...Is it just because the clep route is dominated by homeschoolers and home schoolers are predominately christian?
Not meaning to offend anyone, just something I've wondered since I joined...

It ebbs and flows. People here might stay until their degree is complete and then leave, so our membership here has a lot of turnover. Right now we do have a log of homeschooling Christians. 6 months ago? next year? Who knows.
Well I can tell you why I am a member of this website. I am a stay at home daughter. If you want to know more look at my post... Stay at Home Daughter-hood The reason being I don't want to waste four years (or more) (no offense)of my life away from my family and out from under my fathers protection. There is actually a movement that has been started because this is such an issue in families. (People have started thinking outside the box:eekSmile Do I think staying at home and testing out of classes is for everyone? No way! My BFF is attending a college half way across the country right now. But this is what God has called me to do. So here I am. As to why there are so many homeschoolers...well because we can do this from home I guess. Everyone has a different story. I like what ShotoJuku said!:iagree:
~*~ Rachel~*~
To everything there is a season,
and a time to every purpose under heaven.
Ec. 3:1

CLEP:
College Mathematics(6)--score 60
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature(6)--score 66
English Composition(6)--score 50
US History I(3)--score 63
US History II(3)--score 67
American Government(3)--score 59
Social Sciences and History(6)--score 58

DSST:
Introduction to Computing(3)--score 440
Management Information Systems(3)UL--score 406

ALEKS:
Beginning Algebra(3)
Intermediate Algebra(3)
College Algebra(3)

Straighter Line:
Intro to sociology
World Religions
Business Ethics
Western Civ. 1
Cultural Anthropology

To God be the glory!
cookderosa Wrote:It ebbs and flows. People here might stay until their degree is complete and then leave, so our membership here has a lot of turnover. Right now we do have a log of homeschooling Christians. 6 months ago? next year? Who knows.
I'm pretty sure that as long as this forum exists, many of it's members will be Christian homeschoolers. The reason is that homeschoolers tend to have larger families, so by the time one family member has finished highschool/college, another is just beginning. By the time the last family member has finished, the next generation is just beginning. Since the majority of homeschoolers also homeschool their children this is theoretically an endless exponential cycle Smile
methibosheth Wrote:I'm pretty sure that as long as this forum exists, many of it's members will be Christian homeschoolers. The reason is that homeschoolers tend to have larger families, so by the time one family member has finished highschool/college, another is just beginning. By the time the last family member has finished, the next generation is just beginning. Since the majority of homeschoolers also homeschool their children this is theoretically an endless exponential cycle Smile

I like that there are more homeschoolers here. I started lurking here in late 2006, when we didn't have a lot of homeschoolers. I don't remember more than 1-2 other than myself from back then. Now we are getting the STUDENT too, as opposed to just the parent, so that's a change in our demographic I think.
cookderosa Wrote:I like that there are more homeschoolers here. I started lurking here in late 2006, when we didn't have a lot of homeschoolers. I don't remember more than 1-2 other than myself from back then. Now we are getting the STUDENT too, as opposed to just the parent, so that's a change in our demographic I think.
I agree, it wasn't until recently that homeschoolers really began to think outside the box when it came to college. It used to be that Harvard, Yale and Ivy League where the goal. Now, the Big three are a growing trend among homeschoolers. I didn't know about this way of doing college until just a few years ago. I read a book about ADL methods, and decided that debt, lost time, bad peers, and liberal professors was not my cup of tea Smile Incidentally, that book also taught me about InstantCert!
methibosheth Wrote:I agree, it wasn't until recently that homeschoolers really began to think outside the box when it came to college. It used to be that Harvard, Yale and Ivy League where the goal. Now, the Big three are a growing trend among homeschoolers. I didn't know about this way of doing college until just a few years ago. I read a book about ADL methods, and decided that debt, lost time, bad peers, and liberal professors was not my cup of tea Smile Incidentally, that book also taught me about InstantCert!

Wow I totally agree! I didn't know about CLEP testing existed until 6 months b4 my graduation.Which by that time I had already decided what college I was going to attend. God is good ALL the time!!
~*~ Rachel~*~
To everything there is a season,
and a time to every purpose under heaven.
Ec. 3:1

CLEP:
College Mathematics(6)--score 60
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature(6)--score 66
English Composition(6)--score 50
US History I(3)--score 63
US History II(3)--score 67
American Government(3)--score 59
Social Sciences and History(6)--score 58

DSST:
Introduction to Computing(3)--score 440
Management Information Systems(3)UL--score 406

ALEKS:
Beginning Algebra(3)
Intermediate Algebra(3)
College Algebra(3)

Straighter Line:
Intro to sociology
World Religions
Business Ethics
Western Civ. 1
Cultural Anthropology

To God be the glory!
Those of us that passed DSST World Religions would know that Christianity is the worlds largest religion therefore there would be a larger amount of Christians on here Wink
betch Wrote:I see bible based handles, lots of quotes, etc.

Wow, I feel left out. :reddevil: I should probably change my quote.

I have to admit, since I've been a member of this forum, I've seen many home schoolers graduate from college even before graduating High School (Farmerboy), and home schooling moms post their own and their kids progress. Very Awesome..
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I Will Teach You How to See Jesus in 30 Seconds LevelUP 1 239 03-17-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: P226mem
  Multi-Factor Authentication (Azure/Safenet) bjcheung77 2 1,007 07-17-2020, 04:22 AM
Last Post: todointernet