Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Peace Corps' New Application Process
Alan Greenblatt, for NPR Wrote:In a bid to shore up sagging numbers, the Peace Corps on Tuesday announced significant changes to its application process.

Sixty-page forms that used to take more than eight hours to fill out have now been shortened and streamlined and can be completed online in less than an hour, Peace Corps Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet said on NPR's Here and Now.

The number of people who actually complete the application process has fallen by more than a third from its peak in 2009.

In addition to being less cumbersome, the forms now allow prospective volunteers to express preferences about which of more than 60 countries they'd prefer to serve in. Throughout the Peace Corps' half-century history, volunteers have simply been sent wherever they were needed most.

"We are offering our applicants the opportunity to choose the specific country and the specific program they want to apply to," Hessler-Radelet says. "That's a big change for us."
In Response To Dwindling Applications, Peace Corps Makes Big Changes (Alan Greenblatt, The Two-Way, NPR, July 15, 2014)
I guess beggars can't be choosers.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
I think I read recently that they were also doing shorter terms, like 3 or 6 months, for experienced persons in certain areas. I've always thought about doing it. It's still on my bucket list after my kiddo is grown and out of the nest.
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Student Loan Forgiveness Application is Live ashkir 0 5,310 10-14-2022, 10:25 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Another job application question carebear_007 4 663 04-11-2022, 02:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Peace Corps MrBossmanJr 2 876 12-24-2019, 03:42 PM
Last Post: MrBossmanJr
  Application is in! alleycat 41 4,398 06-08-2017, 02:41 PM
Last Post: keepsingin
  Commissioned Corps Potatoloco 0 801 06-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Potatoloco
  President Obama Getting Nobel Peace Prize Basket Weaver 15 2,348 10-28-2009, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Farmerboy