Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thomas Edison Calculus Class
Hello,

I am taking Calculus 1 online at Thomas Edison. The class started with 25 people and is down to 7. I am struggling to get a "C" in the class and the 3 members in my group are all failing. How do these stats impact the college and its ratings? Do professors ever curve grades if almost everyone who is left in a class is failing the class? I thought about dropping, but don't want to throw away $2000.
I haven't seen any curving being done in any of the classes I took. I don't think the mentors create any of the tests or assignments, so they may not even have the freedom to modify the grading scale. I would ask the mentor the same questions you asked here. Also, consider paying for an extension if taking more time would help you pass the course. The last thing you want is a fail on your transcript.

That said, you might be better off dropping it and taking it from Straighterline. You could take your time with it, and not have to worry about your grade.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Did you get the student solutions manual? I don’t remember if it was listed as optional, but it really helped when I took Calculus.
[-] The following 2 users Like Sparklette's post:
  • davewill, Ideas
(03-12-2018, 03:54 PM)Sparklette Wrote: Did you get the student solutions manual? I don’t remember if it was listed as optional, but it really helped when I took Calculus.

I'm SO glad you mentioned that. When I took Discrete Math, the solutions manual was a necessity. I'm very good at math, but when having to teach yourself, you need lots of problems with solutions, not just an answer key. I don't think I could have done without.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Ideas
Also I've seen some books that try to make Calculus "easy" for students. Maybe get one of those. I think many of them are easier to understand than almost any textbook.

Or a lot of people swear by the Khan Academy videos.

It’s been quite a while, but I used http://www-math.mit.edu/~djk/calculus_beginners/ a lot as a supplement to the book. There were also some UC Berkeley lectures on iTunes U that I found helpful. But really, the solutions manual was key. And when the solution didn’t make sense, I’d search for an explanation on Google, which usually led me to some school’s page with an explanation of the exact problem.

Oh! And be sure to use the practice tests and other resources from the text: http://highered.mheducation.com/sites/00..._quiz.html
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sparklette's post:
  • GoldieLux
(03-13-2018, 10:44 AM)Sparklette Wrote: It’s been quite a while, but I used http://www-math.mit.edu/~djk/calculus_beginners/ a lot as a supplement to the book. There were also some UC Berkeley lectures on iTunes U that I found helpful. But really, the solutions manual was key. And when the solution didn’t make sense, I’d search for an explanation on Google, which usually led me to some school’s page with an explanation of the exact problem.

Oh! And be sure to use the practice tests and other resources from the text: http://highered.mheducation.com/sites/00..._quiz.html

"Calculus for Beginners and Artists"....this is great. lol
(03-13-2018, 12:00 PM)GoldieLux Wrote: "Calculus for Beginners and Artists"....this is great. lol

Hey, whatever works!
I took a calculus class at my local community college and IMO the instructor scammed half the class to drop after the first test (which of course was after refund period).  

Buried in the syllabus you got a choice to replace a grade with a score on the next test, so the instructor made the first test super hard, the highest grade was a 70% and a class average 30%.  So most that scored below 50% dropped, the instructor then only had to teach half the class, that had a better grasp to teach.  The next test was a breeze, class average 80%.  

So anyway, anything buried in the syllabus about dropping or replacing a test?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,368 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU My Edison log-in trouble JanuarySunshine 4 2,451 08-14-2018, 10:27 AM
Last Post: JanuarySunshine
  THOMAS EDISON ANALYZING AND INTERPRETING LIT Giantzebra 4 1,817 08-07-2018, 10:00 AM
Last Post: nashpond
  Penn Foster/TESU UL last class FinishTHEM 3 1,374 07-02-2018, 10:30 PM
Last Post: FinishTHEM
  Help requested with Thomas Edison degree plan. BSOL kodiak61 8 2,184 06-21-2018, 11:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Easy TESU Class...need help omuneek 4 1,472 06-20-2018, 01:36 PM
Last Post: omuneek
  Easiest Math Class for TESU BALS? Kickedthehabit2 3 1,386 05-21-2018, 10:42 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Easy TESU class? sarg123 19 4,579 04-26-2018, 12:28 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Admission to Thomas Edison Dowew 7 2,239 04-19-2018, 01:18 PM
Last Post: jsd