Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thomas Edison State College Military Scholarships
Has anyone had any luck getting a scholarship? Since the GI Bill won't pay the enrollment fee I'm thinking this might be the next best option to help offset the $3,296 (no longer active duty). If not, any other suggestions? I figure the worst case scenario is I claim the Lifetime Learning Credit, but my tax bracket is so low I don't think that would do any good.

Military & Veteran Scholarships
TESU BSBA in General Management
CCAF AAS in Computer Science Technology

Resources used:  CLEP, DSST,
Penn Foster, Sophia, StraighterLine, TEEX, NFA, ALEKS, The Institutes
I'm not positive this is accurate (since from discussions I've seen here, TESC is notorious for some amount of random misinformation), but I was recently told by an advisor at TESC that they will be offering in-state to Veterans. It would be worth checking as that might save close to $2,000.
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
As for the scholarship link -- it looks like you'd have to take classes at TESC to qualify for the TESC Military Scholarship:

"Enrolled students must be currently enrolled with the College and must have:
Completed a minimum of 12 Thomas Edison State College credits.
A minimum 3.0 GPA at Thomas Edison State College.
Successfully completed a minimum of 66 percent of courses attempted at Thomas Edison State College"

But these have varying rules:

Other Military Scholarships specifically directed toward military service members, their families, and other eligible civilians:

American Legion
American Patriot Freedom Scholarship Program
Anchor Scholarship
Armed Forces Children's Foundation Fund
Army Scholarship Foundation
Federal Employee Education and Assistance Fund
Fisher House
FRA Education Foundation
Freedom Alliance Scholarship Fund
Hartwell Fallen Soldiers Children's Fund
Hill & Ponton Veterans' Scholarship
Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund
Joanne Holbrook Patton Military Spouse Scholarships
Ladies Auxiliary of the Fleet Reserve Association
LowVARates.com Military Scholarship
Marines' Memorial Association Scholarships - 2014
Mark A. Forester Scholarship by Rocky Mountain Mattresses
Military One Source
Military Family Support Trust
NAIMES 2013 Student Spotlight Award
Navy Supply Corps Foundation
New Jersey Heart of a Hero Scholarship - 2013
Pat Tillman Foundation
Purple Heart Scholarship
Veterans of Foreign Wars
Veterans United Foundation Scholarship
Wings Over America Scholarship Foundation
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
Mamasaphire Wrote:I'm not positive this is accurate (since from discussions I've seen here, TESC is notorious for some amount of random misinformation), but I was recently told by an advisor at TESC that they will be offering in-state to Veterans. It would be worth checking as that might save close to $2,000.

In-state announcement: yes, you get instate tuition at all public colleges in the USA, though I'm not sure when it goes into effect at TESC. You should call.
White House announces In-State tuition for veterans, families - Washington Times
cookderosa Wrote:In-state announcement: yes, you get instate tuition at all public colleges in the USA, though I'm not sure when it goes into effect at TESC. You should call.
White House announces In-State tuition for veterans, families - Washington Times

Seriously??? This is awesome. I just need to find the cheapest instate grad school
A.A.S. IN RESPIRATORY CARE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2007
A.A. IN SOCIAL SCIENCE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2015
B.S.A.S.T IN RESPIRATORY CARE (TESU) 2015
smf6824 Wrote:Seriously??? This is awesome. I just need to find the cheapest instate grad school

Here are a few lists of 4-year colleges 10 Cheapest Public Schools for In-State Students - US News

For community colleges, I think the top 3 are California, Washington, and New Mexico.
cookderosa Wrote:In-state announcement: yes, you get instate tuition at all public colleges in the USA, though I'm not sure when it goes into effect at TESC. You should call.

From everything I have seen, this only applies to recently discharged veterans that live in the state where they are attending and are using GI Bill money. There are many clauses.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
UptonSinclair Wrote:From everything I have seen, this only applies to recently discharged veterans that live in the state where they are attending and are using GI Bill money. There are many clauses.

I'm sure- plus it was just announced last month, so it's likely that there will be a lag at it's implementation. Still, it's worth digging into.
Top Three Cheapest Community Colleges in the United States
Online School Blog: Top Three Cheapest Community Colleges in the United States
The top 3 cheapest community colleges in the US are located in California, New Mexico and North Carolina.

cookderosa Wrote:Here are a few lists of 4-year colleges 10 Cheapest Public Schools for In-State Students - US News

For community colleges, I think the top 3 are California, Washington, and New Mexico.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

As for the TESC Military Scholarship, I finally got a reply:

[FONT=&amp]My apologies for my delayed response.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The military scholarship will next be offered during the 2016-2017 Award Year which begins when the application period opens June 1, 2016.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]If you are eligible for the Chapter 33, G.I. Bill, it will cover your enrollment fee as long as you also take courses from TESC in the same term for which you receive benefits.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The same requirement applies if you were to receive financial aid…you have to take TESC courses in the same term for which the aid is awarded.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]If you do not plan on taking TESC courses, then neither VA nor FA funds will be able to be used for any charges.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I hope this information is helpful.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Thank you.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Dave Anderson[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Associate Vice President for Enrollment Operations[/FONT]
TESU BSBA in General Management
CCAF AAS in Computer Science Technology

Resources used:  CLEP, DSST,
Penn Foster, Sophia, StraighterLine, TEEX, NFA, ALEKS, The Institutes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  opinion on military school for ADHD teen EducationSeeker 18 2,929 10-14-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: martamarti
Information US Naval Community College Pilot MNomadic 2 1,600 04-26-2022, 03:48 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
Star DAU Courses Available Online and For College Credit kvolivera 89 25,872 04-14-2021, 06:12 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  ACE credit for possible military enlistment? dfrecore 33 5,575 05-27-2020, 09:59 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  Have a military education exit strategy. vetvso 26 5,533 05-07-2020, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  20% off Coopersmith for Active Military Zachcleigh 0 1,773 12-04-2019, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  AMU Reducing Military-Affiliated Master's Tuition to $250/credit (and free books) TheMaskedMutant 1 1,874 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Military Residency Requirement natshar 3 1,924 07-08-2019, 11:13 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Military waiver for residency charge at tesu Zachcleigh 4 2,256 05-09-2019, 07:59 AM
Last Post: ECH90
  TESU database of military credits? dfrecore 8 3,358 02-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Last Post: dfrecore