Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transfer Sophia.org credits to Penn State World Campus?
Hello guys,

Have you guys tried to transfer sophia.org credits to Penn State World Campus program?
and were you successful?
(08-02-2020, 05:43 AM)nomaduser Wrote: Hello guys,

Have you guys tried to transfer sophia.org credits to Penn State World Campus program?
and were you successful?

You can check yourself here: https://public.lionpath.psu.edu/psc/CSPR...tion=U&# (search as American Council on Education)

Attatched comes the list of courses:

Attached Files
.pdf   PE_XFR_CR_RE.pdf (Size: 148.78 KB / Downloads: 34)
[-] The following 2 users Like elcastor21's post:
  • LevelUP, lucillegyl
And those wondering, I did a quick search, and there are at least 60 credits worth of Study.com courses that can transfer into Penn State, I would guess at least the same amount will come from other approved ACE providers as well. I don't recall what the limit is for alternative credit transfer at Penn, if it's at least 75% of the degree (90 credits) or so, then it's a viable option for those that want the name/recognition, if you can afford the price...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • lucillegyl
(11-07-2023, 03:45 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: And those wondering, I did a quick search, and there are at least 60 credits worth of Study.com courses that can transfer into Penn State, I would guess at least the same amount will come from other approved ACE providers as well.  I don't recall what the limit is for alternative credit transfer at Penn, if it's at least 75% of the degree (90 credits) or so, then it's a viable option for those that want the name/recognition, if you can afford the price...

I realized Penn State World Campus is no better than WGU.
WGU is in fact a better name.
Anything that says 'World Campus' or 'Global Campus' feels fake to employer's eyes.
'Global Campus' simply means watered down, fake version of something.

Also, Penn State World Campus is too overpriced for what it is. There's a high chance that you get nothing out of their degree.
I have decided to ignore the 'global campus' stuffs permanently.
(11-07-2023, 03:45 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: And those wondering, I did a quick search, and there are at least 60 credits worth of Study.com courses that can transfer into Penn State, I would guess at least the same amount will come from other approved ACE providers as well.  I don't recall what the limit is for alternative credit transfer at Penn, if it's at least 75% of the degree (90 credits) or so, then it's a viable option for those that want the name/recognition, if you can afford the price...

84 credits can be transferred.

(11-10-2023, 10:57 PM)nomaduser Wrote: I realized Penn State World Campus is no better than WGU.
Anything that says 'World Campus' or 'Global Campus' feels fake to employer's eyes.

Also, Penn State World Campus is too overpriced for what it is. There's a high chance that you get nothing out of their degree.
The diploma/transcript will not mention "world campus" and it's set up to be exactly the same as an on-campus degree from Penn State.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 3 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • elcastor21, Kab, Vle045
(11-11-2023, 12:10 AM)LevelUP Wrote:
(11-10-2023, 10:57 PM)nomaduser Wrote: I realized Penn State World Campus is no better than WGU.

The diploma/transcript will not mention "world campus" and it's set up to be exactly the same as an on-campus degree from Penn State.

Then you're lying. You never lived in Pennsylvania. You never attended Penn State. Employer can reject your application for that false statement. 

If you say you got your degree from WGU, which is a fully online school, then it makes more sense.

Global campus degrees create confusion and make your application look more fake.
(11-11-2023, 12:37 AM)nomaduser Wrote:

Then you're lying. You never lived in Pennsylvania. You never attended Penn State. Employer can reject your application for that false statement. 

If you say you got your degree from WGU, which is a fully online school, then it makes more sense.

Global campus degrees create confusion and make your application look more fake.

That's your opinion. It is not at all backed up by the experiences of the hundreds (thousands) of students who have come through these forums over the years.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

It's not a lie because Penn State has a 'One University' policy versus other state systems wherein campuses are separate universities.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • rachel83az, Vle045

Just a side note as a Pennsylvania native…. 

”Penn” refers to the University of Pennsylvania which is a private Ivy League school.  It’s also sometimes “UPenn”

Penn State is a state school and part of the big 10 conference. It is never referred to as “Penn”. 
It is also often referenced by its full name THE Pennsylvania State University (Emphasis on “the”).  Smile

He’s not lying. I grew up in Pennsylvania.  Lived there for about 30 years - in Erie, where one of the Penn State campuses is located. A childhood friend is the Cheerleading coach and another works in the marketing department.  My mom lives about a five minute drive from the campus. Penn State is very proud of their one university philosophy across all campuses, including online.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 2 users Like Vle045's post:
  • Ideas, LevelUP
Yeah, I typed Penn State and the second sentence I typed Penn... my typing isn't always following what the brain wants to do, fingers does the typing differently for some reason or another. Anyways, just like TESU, it's not a purely online university and has butt-in-seat programs. Most universities that are butt-in-seat are creating newer online programs, they're not exclusively online, as the other medium/options are butt-in-seat or a hybrid of the two. You just have to truthfully tell it as it is, be honest in your resume and tell them, you went to ABC and got degree XYZ and it was done using their online platform.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,465 03-27-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 100 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 385 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 278 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
  AWIT Real-world Cloud Product (Coursera) Transfer cizzie 26 3,264 03-17-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,801 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,874 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,401 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 7 406 03-07-2024, 12:35 PM
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 607 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM