Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transferring my community college credits to Excelsior & Receving my preliminary revi
You're welcome! Congratulations on this job opportunity!

Okay, you're only 3-6 exams away, plus capstone and Info Lit. What are your interests/strengths?
How do these sound to you?
6 credits - A&I Lit CLEP - a forum favorite - reading comprehension
6 credits - Biology CLEP - This has been difficult for some members, but may match your strengths. (Just don't choose Nat Sci CLEP or College Math CLEP due to duplication.)
6 credits - Lit CLEP(s), or Psychology and Sociology CLEPs, or Marketing and Management CLEPs
3 credits - capstone
1 credit - Info Lit

The AA would just change the type/amount of free electives you can choose. Use this post to compare it:

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...post130638

Good thought on FEMA, Rebel.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Fingers crossed for you that this doesn't happen, but it's possible that they wouldn't accept Beginning Algebra in transfer, or that they wouldn't assign it the full amount of credit the community college assigned.
Jonathan Whatley Wrote:Fingers crossed for you that this doesn't happen, but it's possible that they wouldn't accept Beginning Algebra in transfer, or that they wouldn't assign it the full amount of credit the community college assigned.

Good thoughts. The last I heard on this forum, EC does accept ALEKS Beg Algebra. I had to drop 3 math credits due to the max of 9 below Caclulus anyway. They will also convert them to semester hours (2/3), but it should work out okay.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Thanks!

The 6 credits of A&I Lit CLEP (the forum favorite) sounds good.
For being a nurse and having taken Biology, it has been a while and going straight into a Bio exam would scare me....
What are the "Lit" CLEPS like? I think that marketing and management CLEPS would probably be good for me, this is what I do on a daily basis at work anyway...
Sociology I am rusty on but am sure I could do some quick refreshing to pass...

What is FEMA and if its faster where do I sign up? haha.

I just submitted my application and transcript request today, so I am assuming it will be a couple of weeks before I get my preliminary review back.

Does the capstone class at the end hold you up timing wise? Is it a mandatory 8 weeks or can you test sooner?

Thanks again,
Collin
I'm not a "Lit" person; you'll need help from other members on those and FEMA. Smile

I forgot to mention the 6 credit Humanities CLEP. That's not my strength either, but I was able to pass that one.

REA and IC have been good to study for CLEPs.

I usually mention the 3 free NFA credits for students who also plan to take an ACE transcripted course. You could still do those. The ACE transcript costs $40, though.

Yes, the eval will take about 3 weeks, once they receive your transcripts.

As far as I know, the capstone is taken with other students, so it will be 8 weeks. Info Lit at EC is on your own schedule.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

FEMA are credits earned through the Federal Emergency Management Agency, FEMA, independent studies courses. They are taken online, and you get to take them till you pass them (though they are among the easiest "courses" anyone could hope to take. All the study material is there for you, the test is downloadable for you to study from....trouble is that for EC they have to be transcribed through Frederick CC for about $75/credit....still, you can do a bunch in a hurry if your so inclined.

Emergency Management Institute - FEMA Independent Study Program
FEMA Courses Walkthrough - Free-Clep-Prep.com

You might consider a couple of the 6 credit CLEP like A&I Lit and Biology, then fill in anything left with FEMA...assuming all the other degree criteria are met.

The FEMA PDS, Professional Development Series is a collection of 7 courses that count for credit...and give you a certificate in emergency management. this might be cool to have as a resume stuffer if the new job is health care related like a home or care facility....I mean, pick it up while your grabbing credits anyways.
http://training.fema.gov/emiweb/pds/PDS%20Brochure.pdf
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Consider DSST exams, too. Substance Abuse and Health were a good combination to study together.

I agree with the suggestion for PDS. I'm not sure how recently FEMA credits have been used at EC. I believe Rickyjo found a less expensive college to use to transfer them to EC, but it was quarter-hours again and may have taken some time to get them transcripted.

Also, the post about ALEKS Beg Algebra that I remember is older than I thought (see link). I don't know if anyone has tried it since then. It doesn't hurt to take Jonathan's warning and plan a few back-up credits, if needed.
http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...#post92907

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Hey NAP,

I got my email from Excelsior today stating that they have received my application and are waiting on my transcripts from what I put on my application and that once received they would be emailing me back in 2-3 weeks with my preliminary review.

Anyway, in the meantime I wanted to mention to you that I forgot that I have also passed the Sociology CLEP - so hopefully that can be used in the formula you helped me with yesterday - Excelsior has it listed and received in my email and are just waiting for my transcript from Columbus State Community College.

Thank you so much for all of your information, it has helped so much! Once I receive my preliminary review and know how many classes I still need to take and out of which categories, are you willing to help me choose the classes to take and in which way? (CLEP, DSST, FEMA, etc.) All of these abbreviations are overwhelming lol, I have only taken Excelsior exams and one CLEP. I just want to pick the classes that are the most cost effective and fastest, with fastest being the most important of the two.

If you can let me know if my Sociology CLEP will fit into the picture as well.

THANKS SO MUCH!
You're welcome! I'm glad we can help you.

That's good news about the Sociology CLEP. Congrats! That is 3 more credits for Social Science or Arts & Sciences.

My goal for you would be to have everything except the capstone done by the time your eval (sorry for the lazy typing; I know it is hard on newbies) is ready. Is that fast enough for your timeframe?

Here is a list of abbreviations we use:

http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post55585

Do you have the Student Guide to Credit by Exam and Liberal Arts Catalog already?

School Catalogs - excelsior.edu

Which tests look good to you?

Have you already found a convenient test center for CLEP and DSST?

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Since speed is the main concern would the AAS in Environmental, Safety and Security Technologies at TESC not be the quickest route since there is no capstone and 32 FEMA credits could be knocked out in a week or two?
BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics, 2013 - TESC - Arnold Fletcher Award
AAS in Applied Computer Studies, 2013 - TESC
116 B&M Credits
32 FEMA Credits
9 ALEKS Credits - Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry
9 Straighterline Credits - Business Communication, Microeconomics, English Composition II
6 TESC Credits - Global Environmental Change
3 DSST Credits - Environment and Humanity

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer Credits for Certificates 3ichael7ambert 8 231 04-27-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: 3ichael7ambert
  College will cost up to $95,000 this fall. Schools say it’s OK LevelUP 3 168 04-26-2024, 05:36 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 8 1,607 04-25-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,257 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,618 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,992 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 271 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 729 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 555 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 431 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares