Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transitions after home-schooling?
It's been a while since I've finished high school - nearly seven years, in fact. A lot of things in home-schooling have changed now that there are so many new technology options I either didn't have or didn't know about a decade ago, and some of this post deals with local/regional concerns that might not apply everywhere. The basic question, however, remains the same: Since high school isn't going to last forever, how have former home-schooled students adjusted to college, jobs, and the "real world"? Were there any bumps in the road, expected or otherwise?

Academically, I've had no real problems adapting to college. Home-schooled students typically have an excellent grasp of the fundamentals needed to succeed at the college level - being able to read well, to understand basic math, to think critically, and to be self-motivated enough to study even if nobody's holding your hand every step of the way. I've passed all 14 of the CLEPs I've taken, and I still have a 4.0 GPA entering my senior year. That's not so bad. I've hardly ever gotten a score lower than a 90 on any significant assignment in college. Some of my classes have had team projects or more writing and more quizzes than I was accustomed to, but adapting to those was not hard at all.

The most difficult part of college was actually getting in. The university I had originally been planning to attend has a confusing and bureaucratic admissions process, which turned me off so much that I wasn't sure college was feasible for me - especially since I was unsure about how home-school transcripts would work. Leaving the flexible, anarchic structure of home-schooling can be a shock when you move to someplace that's shackled by rigid policies and procedures. I later enrolled in another (brick-and-mortar) college that was somewhat less confusing and bureaucratic, where I expect to graduate in about a year. I also had a tough time settling upon a single program of study, since there were a lot of different things I could've pursued, and I had a hard time committing to a major.

I've found adapting socially to be more complicated. I'm basically an extrovert, and I usually enjoy meeting new people. I've had no problems getting to know the older students in my class. However, I've found it hard to communicate with my younger classmates. It's awkward to try to converse with someone who's constantly texting and Facebooking, and at least in Florida, the younger generations seem to be a bit on the chilly side. Being able to connect with older, more experienced professionals is great for one's career, although it's not the best news for the romance department or for those wanting to meet people who aren't overburdened by their jobs or family obligations.

Professionally, getting a job has proven to be rather difficult - although that's hardly a rarity living in Florida, especially in a neighborhood that's been hit especially hard by the "Great Recession" and local demographic shifts. I've generally heard that home-schooled students do well in their careers, although there's been a lot more research on home-schooled students' success in college than in the job markets.

This topic has been on my mind lately, and since a big chunk of the members here have some kind of background in home-schooling, I'd love to hear some of your experiences and opinions.
Course clear! You got a card.

Analyzing & Interpreting Literature 72|American Government 71|Introductory Sociology 63|Humanities 70|College Composition 60|U.S. History II 67|Principles of Marketing 73|Principles of Macroeconomics 67|Principles of Microeconomics 66|U.S. History I 74|College Mathematics 68|Information Systems & Computer Applications 68|College Algebra 56|Biology 63|Financial Accounting 65

B.A.S. IT Management, Class of 2015
MBA, Class of 2017
It's been a while since I've finished high school - nearly seven years, in fact. A lot of things in home-schooling have changed now that there are so many new technology options I either didn't have or didn't know about a decade ago, and some of this post deals with local/regional concerns that might not apply everywhere. The basic question, however, remains the same: Since high school isn't going to last forever, how have former home-schooled students adjusted to college, jobs, and the "real world"? Were there any bumps in the road, expected or otherwise?
Lot's of other parents here might help you, but I think this can be asked of ALL YOUNG PEOPLE and it would be impossible to generalize. That's like asking in a high school graduation class of 500, did any of them have a hard time in college? In a job? In the real world? See, you can't suggest that homeschooling presents exclusive problems or solutions to everyone, but maybe in your specific case you have a specific issue you'd like to ask about? That might be the most helpful for getting good advice.

Academically, I've had no real problems adapting to college. Home-schooled students typically have an excellent grasp of the fundamentals needed to succeed at the college level - being able to read well, to understand basic math, to think critically, and to be self-motivated enough to study even if nobody's holding your hand every step of the way. I've passed all 14 of the CLEPs I've taken, and I still have a 4.0 GPA entering my senior year. That's not so bad. I've hardly ever gotten a score lower than a 90 on any significant assignment in college. Some of my classes have had team projects or more writing and more quizzes than I was accustomed to, but adapting to those was not hard at all.
You are considerably ahead of the average, great job!!

The most difficult part of college was actually getting in.
I'd suggest that the most difficult part of college is getting out. Smile

The university I had originally been planning to attend has a confusing and bureaucratic admissions process, which turned me off so much that I wasn't sure college was feasible for me - especially since I was unsure about how home-school transcripts would work. Leaving the flexible, anarchic structure of home-schooling can be a shock when you move to someplace that's shackled by rigid policies and procedures. I later enrolled in another (brick-and-mortar) college that was somewhat less confusing and bureaucratic, where I expect to graduate in about a year. I also had a tough time settling upon a single program of study, since there were a lot of different things I could've pursued, and I had a hard time committing to a major.
[COLOR="#FF0000"]Not unusual. Remember traditionally educated kids get denied admission, and change majors all the time. If you poll the adult learners here, you'll find most of us were traditionally educated, may have attended one or more colleges for a time in our youth, and may have changed majors a time or two before dropping out and or re-enrolling a decade or two later. I think your situation here is pretty typical.
[/COLOR]

I've found adapting socially to be more complicated. I'm basically an extrovert, and I usually enjoy meeting new people. I've had no problems getting to know the older students in my class. However, I've found it hard to communicate with my younger classmates. It's awkward to try to converse with someone who's constantly texting and Facebooking, and at least in Florida, the younger generations seem to be a bit on the chilly side. Being able to connect with older, more experienced professionals is great for one's career, although it's not the best news for the romance department or for those wanting to meet people who aren't overburdened by their jobs or family obligations.
I hear you! Personally, I find distance learning to be a good way to combat this, because I'm 43 and have no time (no interest, sorry) in hearing the drama of my classmates. I think, however, some people may very much enjoy this interaction and chance to meet people, but in general you'll find more traditionally aged students at universities and more non-traditional students at community colleges. I'd look for something outside of the college setting here- maybe join a local CrossFit box or something where ages intermix. I remember being a culinary student at age 18 and thinking how "old" this guy was in our group- because of his age he was a big of a misfit. I think he was 20 or 21! I remember someone else had a child, which I found shocking. Also, in my current job, there are a lot of interns and one asked me the other day (since I'm finishing my master's) what my career goal is. LOL! Listen, just know they are age-appropriate, and you'll do better finding peers your own age for your social outlet.

Professionally, getting a job has proven to be rather difficult - although that's hardly a rarity living in Florida, especially in a neighborhood that's been hit especially hard by the "Great Recession" and local demographic shifts. I've generally heard that home-schooled students do well in their careers, although there's been a lot more research on home-schooled students' success in college than in the job markets.
Again, I would say that in general, unemployment is high and the job market is tough- even for people who are graduating college with traditional degrees at a traditional age. It's going to come down to how well YOU market yourself and hussle. This is true for all of us. I love the book What Color is Your Parachute and there are hundreds of good job seeking books at your local library. I think if you're aggressive, you'll find something. Also, what have you've been doing since high school? You must have made some connections and network through other jobs, church, clubs, gyms, etc. Use those connections/network.

This topic has been on my mind lately, and since a big chunk of the members here have some kind of background in home-schooling, I'd love to hear some of your experiences and opinions.
[COLOR="#FF0000"]So, this is interesting, because I think about homeschooling a lot, probably daily for 20 years. I can think of many individual weaknesses of my children (which differ from each of my children) as well as strenghts that I believe is a result of homeschooling, however....that probably isn't helpful for you. What might be helpful, is for me to say that it is likely that you assume "the world" underwent this big, huge, process in school that you missed. That there was a mass evolution of each student, and somehow you were short-changed. I'm here to tell you that is fiction. Your weaknesses are yours, and based on your post, you are probably an exceptionally bright person who is just experiencing a little self-doubt...which we all have from time to time. None the less, you're close to graduation, but maybe you can use this summer for an internship that could turn into a job lead at graduation? Maybe you'll apply to the Peace Corps? Maybe the military? My point is that your direction is wide open- do something big. Smile Good luck!! [/COLOR]
Cookderosa: Thanks for your thoughtful response. I think your word of encouragement is exactly what I needed to hear, since "experiencing a little self-doubt" is a good description of the problem I've sometimes had. I've done exceptionally well in some areas of my life, while other areas have sometimes been frustrating or confusing.

While the job market is still pretty lousy, a great opportunity finally came to me just a few days ago. A classmate found a new computer support job closer to her home, and she recommended me to replace her. But it's true that transitioning from school to work has been hard for a lot of people.

cookderosa Wrote:I'd suggest that the most difficult part of college is getting out.
Leaving college might turn out to be the hardest part for me, too. I'm beginning to think about master's programs, and I can't help but wonder if that's a slippery slope to a PhD! I've also become addicted to collecting whatever technical certifications I can snag, especially when they're free.
Course clear! You got a card.

Analyzing & Interpreting Literature 72|American Government 71|Introductory Sociology 63|Humanities 70|College Composition 60|U.S. History II 67|Principles of Marketing 73|Principles of Macroeconomics 67|Principles of Microeconomics 66|U.S. History I 74|College Mathematics 68|Information Systems & Computer Applications 68|College Algebra 56|Biology 63|Financial Accounting 65

B.A.S. IT Management, Class of 2015
MBA, Class of 2017
Bibby Wrote:Cookderosa: Thanks for your thoughtful response. I think your word of encouragement is exactly what I needed to hear, since "experiencing a little self-doubt" is a good description of the problem I've sometimes had. I've done exceptionally well in some areas of my life, while other areas have sometimes been frustrating or confusing.

While the job market is still pretty lousy, a great opportunity finally came to me just a few days ago. A classmate found a new computer support job closer to her home, and she recommended me to replace her. But it's true that transitioning from school to work has been hard for a lot of people.

Leaving college might turn out to be the hardest part for me, too. I'm beginning to think about master's programs, and I can't help but wonder if that's a slippery slope to a PhD! I've also become addicted to collecting whatever technical certifications I can snag, especially when they're free.

Congratulations on your new opportunity!!! That's fantastic! Good luck! Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video of Airbnb Guest Refusing to Leave Woman's Home. The Drama Gets Real! LevelUP 4 1,840 06-23-2022, 01:18 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Windows 11 Home Upgrade - Pretty Good bjcheung77 3 869 03-06-2022, 06:05 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Dream Job Alert! Work From Home & Unlimied Vacation?! bjcheung77 4 1,204 08-01-2021, 09:41 PM
Last Post: Vonne
  @Home - Free Learning Resources bjcheung77 2 1,144 02-23-2021, 08:32 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  FREE (for now) Ashampoo Home Designer 5 bjcheung77 2 1,134 07-06-2020, 01:33 PM
Last Post: JWells247
  December 1 - New company, new job, still at home! bjcheung77 1 1,060 11-15-2019, 06:31 PM
  Dual Credit at Home: How to Pray for Your Children Printable eriehiker 21 3,636 01-17-2019, 09:05 PM
Last Post: AaressLawless
  Full-Time Work from home jobs? acamp 16 3,389 12-19-2018, 01:26 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
Big Grin Job promotion, working from home! jsd 11 2,742 06-11-2018, 08:02 PM
  Question for Home Schooling Kids bjcheung77 22 3,147 10-14-2016, 02:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore