Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turnitin truncating papers?
Has anyone else had issues with Turnitin truncating your uploads?  I had one of my SL compositions come back with a comment that I should have listed the book in my "works cited," and thought, "that's weird; I was sure I did."  Sure enough, it's in the document on my computer, but the uploaded version says "Work Cited" and then ends.  (There is literally a blank "work cited" section.  lol)

I had SafeAssign do the same thing to an assignment in school a few weeks ago.  (Fortunately, that one truncated right in the middle of a citation, so my professor could tell something weird happened.)

Is there something in particular that triggers this, or some way around it?  It didn't cause any major issues with grading in either of these situations, but it seems like there's some significant potential for important grading issues if these plagiarism checkers can just randomly cut off the ends of papers.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
I'm not really sure, but my guess would be that it may have to do with word count. Maybe a professor puts a cap so they don't have to read a 10,000 word essay when they only assigned 2,000. Just a guess.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
I know turn it in truncates titles sometimes, though I never heard of a paper being truncated. You sure you dint upload an earlier revision?
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

Positive. It wouldn't even make sense for that to be the case in the SafeAssign instance, since I don't add half-citations to my papers. This particular instance is really weird, because it isn't even a really full page, where something at the bottom of a "sheet got cut off." There's only one reference, so there are two lines on the page (three if you count the space in between), and the second one is missing.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

This hasn't happened to me or anyone in my family as far as know. I can't imagine what it might be other than a glitch in the transmission? Could it have timed out while being uploaded?
Tunitin is a highly reliable platform, a glitch is not probable.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

I don't think it was a timeout. This wasn't a particularly long paper or heavily-formatted, or anything that would lead to a large filesize or lengthy processing time. I have a support ticket in at Turnitin to see if they can figure out what happened. Like I said, I'm not really worried about *this* paper, but I'm concerned about the fact that this can happen and would like to know if there's something in particular that causes it.
-Rachel

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred

[-] The following 1 user Likes a2jc4life's post:
  • cookderosa
Best bet is to e-mail Turnitin and see if it's a known issue.

I missed that you said you had a support ticket already. I am curious to see if they know what's causing it, though.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tedium's post:
  • a2jc4life
Hmm.  It did something weird with the end of my most recent paper, too.

[Image: workcitedpage3.jpg]

(It keeps going, but I can't fit it all in a screenshot.)

It should be interesting to see if Turnitin can identify the issue.
-Rachel

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred

(08-03-2018, 07:03 PM)a2jc4life Wrote: Hmm.  It did something weird with the end of my most recent paper, too.

[Image: workcitedpage3.jpg]

(It keeps going, but I can't fit it all in a screenshot.)

It should be interesting to see if Turnitin can identify the issue.

Wow!! That's so strange. I would think any attentive instructor would realize that you didn't do that to your sources. Hopefully, this will get resolved.

I have a question for you, in your word processing program, do you use the internal biography builder? Maybe there is something different in the way it reads that formatted content from the text? I'm totally guessing. My whole family uses the built-in reference/biography builder, but my MSWord is probably an older edition- there might be a new one out that is interacting strangely?
Also, do you use Grammarly? Grammarly is full of funky little glitches in MSWord.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Research Papers Study.com joshua27 1 581 01-21-2023, 10:21 AM
Last Post: allvia
  Study.com Submit Papers without Subscription zilla 4 1,104 11-21-2020, 06:25 PM
Last Post: zilla
  UL Study.com without papers and projects BrendaB 8 1,637 11-16-2020, 04:06 PM
Last Post: ctcarl
  SDC Papers Dorothy44 24 3,052 11-03-2020, 07:05 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia courses that require papers and other things that require grading. RizP 5 1,318 07-08-2020, 05:11 PM
Last Post: OldManOfTheSea
  Do Study.com word counts for papers include works cited? gutenburg7 6 1,768 10-05-2019, 08:10 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  DAVAR papers GoldieLux 1 1,338 04-16-2018, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Ideas