Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turnitin truncating papers?
Hmmm it looks like you are loading your paper in some program that changes the character encoding of the original word document. The Turnitin platform probably does not support this new encoding properly which causes it to look like that.

Did you upload your paper to another plagarism or grammar checker? Or copy and paste to some box then to something else? You using msWord? Or an alternative?
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 1 user Likes armstrongsubero's post:
  • a2jc4life
I do use LibreOffice, not Word, but the file is saved in .doc format and other than the one file that SafeAssign cut off that one time (at the bottom of a very full page) I've never had a problem before. (I've been uploading them this way for school for 3 years now, at schools with a couple different plagiarism checkers.) I'm not using the bibliography builder feature. I do some copying-and-pasting, but anything I paste is pasted in as "unformatted text" and I put the formatting back in manually. I don't use grammarly or any other outside tools to check grammar or check for plagiarism.

Turnitin's help has submission numbers for both papers now, so hopefully they'll figure out what's going on! (At least when the formatting is WEIRD the instructor can tell it's a glitch. As opposed to when a reference mysteriously goes missing!)
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
[-] The following 1 user Likes a2jc4life's post:
  • cookderosa
In the ongoing saga of Turnitin flakiness.  The next paper did the same thing, and apparently the grader is not savvy enough to recognize that is not how I formatted the paper.  (Not sure if I should roll my eyes or laugh.)

[Image: workcitedpage4.jpg]
Turnitin is investigating.  In the meantime, SL suggested (I wrote them to give them a heads-up, in case mine aren't the only papers it's doing this to) that I submit PDFs.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

Well, Turnitin was unhelpful, to say the least. This is their response (after I'd sent a screenshot of the last page of the original document):

"Never say never, so I cannot say that is 100% not possible.
But to be completely honest, that's very unlikely that our system or Moodle's made edits to the original paper."
-Rachel

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred

I agree with Turnitin folks though, it is unlikely that their platform is at fault, it's something messing up the encoding of the characters.
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

If my paper has all the content in it (which it does), and after uploading it to Turnitin parts are missing or warped (which they are), then their platform IS doing it, regardless of whether it's ultimately a problem in Turnitin or in the file's encoding. The content was there before Turnitin processed it and not there after Turnitin processed it. If there's an incompatibility problem, that's still important to know, because I uploaded a file type they say they accept.
-Rachel

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred

Just wondering, do you use Outlook.com email or Gmail? Could you do a little test and upload that to your Onedrive for Outlook.com or if you're using Gmail, upload it to Google Docs, can you see the full contents there? If you can, then the Turnitin application or website is having issues. If you can't view it in either Onedrive or Google Docs, then it's the file corruption.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I consistently have problems with Turnitin and large file sizes, especially PowerPoints. So now when I submit to Turnitin, I also upload my projects to a Dropbox or Hightail site, and then provide the download link to the instructor when I submit my assignment.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Pursuing BA in Communications at SNHU (Started July 2017)
☆CLEP☆ A&I Literature 68 | College Composition w Essay 73 | American Government 68 | US History I 72 | Social Science & History 61 | Information Systems 76 | Principles of Marketing 69 | Principles of Management 67 | Psychology 61 | Sociology 61 | Humanities 57 | Educational Psychology 70 | Biology 60 | Natural Science 72 | ☆DSST☆ Environmental Science 457 | Human Cultural Geography 466 | Principles of Supervision 435 | Introduction to Business 457 | Principles of Public Speaking 450/PASS
Turns out my LibreOffice documents, when saved as .doc files, have the full content properly viewable in LibreOffice (duh) or in MS Word in the previewer or after converting to .docx (weird) but not when simply opened in MS Word. If I save the same file in the same program as a .docx, however, it displays appropriately on the other platforms.

So the Moodle instructions need to say "upload a .doc or .docx file created in MS Word, or a .pdf." (And meanwhile, LibreOffice needs to fix their compatibility, because that's just ODD. I can completely understand losing formatting, but losing actual content, that's formatted exactly the same as content elsewhere in the document that remains intact...that's very bizarre.)
-Rachel

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred

Told you its a character encoding problem. Its actually not bizzare because depending on the character encoding used on the documents on the different software platforms it will produce a different result. Dont quote me on this but to make it simple the characters that represent a 'Space' in one app (open office) could represent some obscure character in word depite have the sane file format. Turnitin in uses the same encoding as word hence your problem.
I have character encoding problems pop up all the times when I'm writing a driver for a new LCD module particularly on 8 and 16 bit micros. With the newer 32 bit ones I dont have the problem as much.
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Research Papers Study.com joshua27 1 580 01-21-2023, 10:21 AM
Last Post: allvia
  Study.com Submit Papers without Subscription zilla 4 1,104 11-21-2020, 06:25 PM
Last Post: zilla
  UL Study.com without papers and projects BrendaB 8 1,635 11-16-2020, 04:06 PM
Last Post: ctcarl
  SDC Papers Dorothy44 24 3,051 11-03-2020, 07:05 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia courses that require papers and other things that require grading. RizP 5 1,316 07-08-2020, 05:11 PM
Last Post: OldManOfTheSea
  Do Study.com word counts for papers include works cited? gutenburg7 6 1,763 10-05-2019, 08:10 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  DAVAR papers GoldieLux 1 1,338 04-16-2018, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Ideas