Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turnitin truncating papers?
It's bizarre that a character that displays just fine in one part of the paper is "magically" missing later in the paper, despite being formatted identically, or that the same program displays the text in the print preview but not in the main window, not that LibreOffice and MS Word (or Turnitin) don't display it the same way.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
(08-10-2018, 02:13 PM)a2jc4life Wrote: Turns out my LibreOffice documents, when saved as .doc files, have the full content properly viewable in LibreOffice (duh) or in MS Word in the previewer or after converting to .docx (weird) but not when simply opened in MS Word.  If I save the same file in the same program as a .docx, however, it displays appropriately on the other platforms.  

So the Moodle instructions need to say "upload a .doc or .docx file created in MS Word, or a .pdf."  (And meanwhile, LibreOffice needs to fix their compatibility, because that's just ODD.  I can completely understand losing formatting, but losing actual content, that's formatted exactly the same as content elsewhere in the document that remains intact...that's very bizarre.)

I had this kind of problem in my math course. Was using LibreOffice, but the instructor kept marking my last problem wrong saying I didn't answer it. My last line with the last answer kept getting cut off (weirdly, she would reload my original and find the missing line when I pointed it out). I finally took to adding extra lines at the bottom so that THEY would get cut off, instead. Probably not the solution for you. Why not just export and upload in PDF? That should avoid all these problems. I couldn't do that because the instructor wanted to type her comments directly into my homework.

edit: I maybe misunderstood whether you can or just would like to be able to upload PDF. Does exporting docx work for you?
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Research Papers Study.com joshua27 1 577 01-21-2023, 10:21 AM
Last Post: allvia
  Study.com Submit Papers without Subscription zilla 4 1,103 11-21-2020, 06:25 PM
Last Post: zilla
  UL Study.com without papers and projects BrendaB 8 1,634 11-16-2020, 04:06 PM
Last Post: ctcarl
  SDC Papers Dorothy44 24 3,042 11-03-2020, 07:05 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia courses that require papers and other things that require grading. RizP 5 1,300 07-08-2020, 05:11 PM
Last Post: OldManOfTheSea
  Do Study.com word counts for papers include works cited? gutenburg7 6 1,754 10-05-2019, 08:10 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  DAVAR papers GoldieLux 1 1,338 04-16-2018, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Ideas