Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UExcel Research Methods in Psychology, help
Hi,

I just signed up for UExcel Research Methods in Psychology, has anyone taken this before? What did you use to study? Did you try Study.com or InstantCert? I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks
Did you pay extra for the study guide and practice exam? From what I've heard, that's basically a necessity if you want to get a decent grade on these UExcels.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
UExcels are graded, and hard - I would use what they recommend to study.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
This test wasn't too bad, but I would suggest using the recommended text. The practice tests are also very useful. The practice tests are "retired" questions.
Darryl
BS, Liberal Arts, Excelsior College
AAS, Automotive Technology, Eastern Idaho Technical College
AAS, Aircraft Armament Systems, Community College of the Air Force
[-] The following 1 user Likes dhillbilly's post:
  • tussive
See dfrecore's reply.
MS in Psychology - Walden University (4.0 GPA)
MicroMasters® in Business Administration and Management (GradCert) - Tecnologico de Monterrey (also known as Monterrey Institute of Technology)
B.S.L.A. (Bachelor of Science in Liberal Arts)/depths in psychology and sociology - Excelsior College (123 hrs.)
A.A.S. in Maintenance Production Management - Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) 
A.A. in Computer Information Systems (CIS) - Arkansas State University-Newport
A.A. in Liberal Arts - Arkansas State University-Newport

edX (MOOCs):

Omens, Oracles, and Prophecies - HarvardX (93%)
Virus 101x - Tel Aviv University (TAU) (87%)

Coursera (MOOCs):

The Johns Hopkins University (93.50%)
COVID-19 Contact Tracing 

Just updating this with my recent experience.

I used Study.com's UExcel Research Methods prep. It was pretty comprehensive. A few of the lessons were confusion, as they directly contradicted the meaning of terms in the recommended textbook, but on the whole, I'd say it prepared me quite well.

Interesting bonus: The UExcel Reserach Methods lessons are almost identical to the SDC Research Methods class. TESU says I can transfer in both the SDC Research Methods (comes in as a 100 level class) AND, separately, the UExcel Research Methods (comes in as a 300 level.) So by doing the SDC prep, and taking both the Uexcel exam and the SDC exam, I (in theory) get 6 credits for not a lot more work than 3.

Also, for the record, I did try the InstantCert flashcards for UExcel, but I didn't find them useful as they were a "fill-in-the-blank" variety that only accepts an exact match... making it difficult for me, at least, to find them an effective study guide.

The combination of the SDC lessons and chapter tests, going over the practice tests a few times, and then reading key parts of the textbook where I didn't feel like I had a clear grasp of the topics seemed to really help.

I bought the UExcel "package" which includes two practice tests and a free retest. Got about 75% on the first practice test, about 82% on the 2nd test... and got an "A" on the actual proctored exam! I was surprised and psyched.

The study.com proctored exam was somewhat easier than the UExcel proctored exam, but honestly, I felt that with the SDC preparation that I was pretty ready... and the study time paid off. It's worth knowing that I knew a tiny bit about research methods and a little bit about stats (I've never taken a full stats course) before I took the SDC prep... and I did fine. So I don't think the test is really all that bad if you put in some time to learn the concepts.

I'll update once i confirm tha TESU actually accepts and records both the SDC and UExcel courses.
[-] The following 3 users Like studyingfortests's post:
  • harrypotter, hsfamfun, ROYISAGIRL
Forgot to update this.

I notice the wiki does not show what UExcel Research Methods comes in as.  On my transcript, it's TESU PSY-322 if someone wants to update it.

Also, by using the SDC "exam prep for Uexcel Research Methods" and then taking the SDC "Intro to Research Methods", about 90% of the course was already completed. I completed the rest of the course, took the SDC exam, submitted it to TESU, and that comes in as TESU PSY-229.  So if someone uses that route, you can basically get 6 credits for Research Methods.
[-] The following 3 users Like studyingfortests's post:
  • dfrecore, Kab, rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior is retiring UExcel exams! This month! dfrecore 24 6,024 03-17-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Abnormal Psychology TECEP is now available on InstantCert! sgloer 0 290 01-04-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: sgloer
Information Excelsior College will no longer offer UExcel examinations after August 21, 2022 nomaduser 2 384 11-06-2023, 02:39 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  lifespan development psychology thomasheikoop 0 314 08-17-2023, 05:59 PM
Last Post: thomasheikoop
  UEXCEL Testing Ending vetvso 7 1,253 08-11-2022, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Cmglaser08
  Uexcel registration Rosy Maven 1 740 07-02-2022, 06:02 AM
Last Post: withrown
  Abnormal Psychology TECEP: How to Study duranmonique828@gmail.com 17 5,732 06-28-2022, 04:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Physiological psychology-coopersmith exam Cmglaser08 2 1,329 06-18-2022, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Amberlinjeanne
  UExcel and TECEP financial aid Rosy Maven 3 900 06-15-2022, 02:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Difficulty level - Coopersmith vs Uexcel? Amberlinjeanne 23 3,014 05-24-2022, 01:35 PM
Last Post: shaas