Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
UMASS Global MAOL

(05-04-2022, 01:09 AM)jb0433 Wrote: As stated before it would be great to heard from someone in the program. Once you enroll into one of the Grad programs your feedback would be awesome, fantastic, and useful. Meanwhile.

I couldn’t agree more!  It is really not helpful when someone wants to be dismissive and condescending because you may be interested in something that doesn’t line up with their own choices.   

Your post did pique my interest in the program.  I spent a little time poking around on the website.  The “tracks” may seem a little bit limited as they appear to mostly be geared toward transferring something that you already have.  If that is not what you need, I don’t think that means you can’t still find a path that fits your goals.

If you are interested in Project Management, their PM track isn’t horrible either.  You can take that Project management certificate through Coursera.  https://www.coursera.org/professional-ce...management   The nice thing with this part is that you can plan it out how you want.  I don’t think it is truly at your own pace like other Coursera courses, but you can sign up for each course when you want and the cost will be the same. It’s just about $3,000.  It kind of works out nicely in a way because you can focus on this at a regular pace… but then CBE the rest, if you can do the other courses faster.

I would be interested in understanding more about the track that lets you transfer in other types of credits.  I think they mean other professional certifications, not simply other graduate credits, but I am not sure.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
The same weight on the market? I wouldn’t be sure of that. UMass-Amherst is an R1 institution and, according to The Times, one of the top 250 universities in the world. Even the other three physical campuses, Lowell, Boston, and Dartmouth are all R2 schools.

Not saying there’s anything wrong with UMass Global, but it isn’t a research university, and it certainly isn’t Amherst.
[-] The following 2 users Like Courcelles's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, ss20ts
(05-04-2022, 08:17 AM)Courcelles Wrote: The same weight on the market?  I wouldn’t be sure of that.  UMass-Amherst is an R1 institution and, according to The Times, one of the top 250 universities in the world.  Even the other three physical campuses, Lowell, Boston, and Dartmouth are all R2 schools.  

Not saying there’s anything wrong with UMass Global, but it isn’t a research university, and it certainly isn’t Amherst.
Please let me know when your employer ask if your Degree come from a R1 or R2 institution. I will be more than happy to consider this information.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jb0433's post:
  • Vle045
I kind of doubt the average HR person knows the difference between different UMass campuses. Same with other consolidated schools. Like, IIRC, University of California - LA and University of California - Berkely are completely different schools. But does the average non-Californian know that? Probably not.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Vle045
Another example of the difference, there are employers who specifically recruit at UMass Amherst who don't undertake comparable recruitment activities at UMass Lowell for instance, let alone at UMass Global.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • ss20ts
(05-04-2022, 08:28 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I kind of doubt the average HR person knows the difference between different UMass campuses. Same with other consolidated schools. Like, IIRC, University of California - LA and University of California - Berkely are completely different schools. But does the average non-Californian know that? Probably not.

I suspect they do, if only because of sports and both being PAC-12 institutions.
(05-04-2022, 09:12 AM)Courcelles Wrote:
(05-04-2022, 08:28 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I kind of doubt the average HR person knows the difference between different UMass campuses. Same with other consolidated schools. Like, IIRC, University of California - LA and University of California - Berkely are completely different schools. But does the average non-Californian know that? Probably not.

I suspect they do, if only because of sports and both being PAC-12 institutions.

There are a LOT of people who don't know about or care about sports, especially college sports. So, yes, there may be some that know. But I still say that the average person probably doesn't.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Vle045

I’m not sure about how much recruiters know. But I’d say using Berkeley and UCLA probably isn’t the best example considering they’re both a  5-10 ranked university in the world.
OMG PEOPLE! Way to derail a thread. Unbelievable. I swear some of you are just ridiculous. WTH?
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vle045's post:
  • Tedium
(05-04-2022, 01:09 AM)jb0433 Wrote: "Spoke to who though?" Obviously an academic advisors, coaches, and others at UMass. 

"If you want a true UMass degree then you need to take a UMass online degree from one of the UMass campuses." What does that even mean? Regardless of the format or the delivery the degree will weight the same on the market. Not like this is a lvy league School. 

As stated before it would be great to heard from someone in the program. Once you enroll into one of the Grad programs your feedback would be awesome, fantastic, and useful. Meanwhile.

I asked who you spoke with because many online schools hire outside third party companies to recruit students. Quite often they are not very knowledgable about what actually takes place in the individual courses. 

UMass Global is not the same as UMass. It's exactly the same as Purdue Global is not Purdue. Depending on where you live the difference between UMass Global and UMass could be an issue with employment. 

I suggested looking on other forums because no one on here has gone to Brandman/UMass Global. I did seriously look into Brandman while they were converting to UMass Global and didn't like some info the actual admissions department shared with me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MAOL Advice - UMPI/Brandman ashkir 13 2,368 02-26-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: KSoul
  UMPI MAOL vs WGU MSML? Jwheels27 29 4,892 06-04-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  New CBE Accelerated MBA from UMass Global Jonathan Whatley 2 1,497 03-24-2023, 01:19 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  WGU MSML vs UMPI MOAL vs UMass MOAL mohelena02 4 1,790 06-20-2022, 12:40 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  THE CATS OUT OF THE BAG - UMASS GLOBAL ( RANT) jb0433 11 2,713 06-09-2022, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  ASU Global Leadership & Personal Development thodeptrai 15 2,696 05-21-2022, 01:04 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Upgrad/SSBM Geneva - Global DBA - 36 months, $11K USD bjcheung77 10 3,095 04-03-2022, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Harry101
  Brandman/UMASS Global MSOL TheAlternativeBachelor 2 1,080 12-03-2021, 02:35 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Purdue Global Micro-credentials Alpha 0 731 06-28-2021, 07:09 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Grassroots Workshops: $120+/Credit Hour: Brandman/UMass Global? eriehiker 4 1,234 04-09-2021, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Thorne