Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
UMPI - BA in Accounting plan
I am interested in pursuing an undergraduate degree in Accounting at UMPI. Upon graduation, I plan on attending a Master's degree program. I am willing to start from zero within the next week and ideally be done in 10 months. I would like to do at least 60 RA credits. I would also prefer if I could take the majority of upper level courses at UMPI.

For the Master's prerequisites, these are the courses that MUST be RA:
Calculus 1, Intro to Statistics, Microeconomics
Edit: Financial Accounting should also be RA

With these in mind along with the information I've gathered from this forum, this is my degree plan:

- 54 credits from Sophia*
- Study.com for Biology with lab (or ONU?)
- Instacert for a language course
- Calculus 1 (eCore? NMJC? Clovis? Arizona EA? Math is my weak point so I'd prefer something light)
- Intro to Statistics at ONU?
- The rest at UMPI (Microeconomics, Financial Accounting and English Comp 1 & 2 are included)

Total transfer credits: 66 (of which 60 are ACE and 6 are RA)
Remaining UMPI credits: 54? (of which all are RA)

Questions:

1) A member from this forum said that some accounting classes at UMPI have prerequisites and I would have to take these one before the other. More specifically, they stated that: financial, intermediate I, intermediate II, and advanced accounting should be done one before the other and that Managerial is also the prerequisite for cost, government/non-profit, tax I, and tax ii.  *Since I plan on doing the degree in 3-4  8 week sessions, wouldn't it be better if I took at least two other ACE courses that satisfy some of the prerequisites above and avoid getting slowed down? If so, which ones and where should I take them?

2) In ashkir's degree plan, it is mentioned that I can complete the ACE credits in approximately 2 months. So, I will enroll at UMPI in January. Should I apply now, or should I complete the courses that I want to transfer first?

I'm kind of confused and there are definitely things/obstacles that I haven't thought of, so after taking into consideration what I've wrote in this post, please feel free to suggest any alternatives/make any tweaks!

Thanks!
AKAIK, there isn't really a good "light" calculus option. I think your best bet would be to take Algebra from Sophia, sign up for ASU and take their Algebra & Prealgebra options for no credit. Then take Calc for business majors (or whatever they call it) for credit.

I would do stats at ONU, yes.

DO NOT APPLY TO UMPI UNTIL YOU HAVE COMPLETED EVERY SINGLE CLASS YOU WANT TO BRING IN.

If math is your weakness, you might not make the January application date. Calculus is not easy and you've got a lot of math to learn before you can tackle it.

Also, for those who might read this thread later, once you apply, UMPI enrolls you pretty much immediately. When that happens, you need permission to bring in additional courses. Avoid this hassle, apply ONLY when you are 100% sure you have finished all of the outside credit you want to finish.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Pikachu
(11-03-2021, 09:55 AM)atmoex Wrote: For the Master's prerequisites, these are the courses that MUST be RA:
Calculus 1, Intro to Statistics, Microeconomics
I would take these at a local community college or online through a RA school. I wouldn't take UMPI's econ course because it's micro and macro together. They don't have these math courses in YourPace.
ONU's Biology course is not a lab science AFAIK. I'd do it at Study.com.

I'd probably take Microeconomics through TEL instead of UMPI.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-03-2021, 10:32 AM)rachel83az Wrote: AKAIK, there isn't really a good "light" calculus option....

I haven't got any knowledge gaps, as I had revised the high school maths for the UoL bachelor's so I think I'm ready to take a Calc class. Thank you for the information, I won't apply until I'm ready.

(11-03-2021, 10:43 AM)ss20ts Wrote: I would take these....

Only one university requires micro so I think I will risk it and go with the UMPI one which includes both. For Stats I will go with ONU. For Calculus...I have no idea what's a good one.

(11-03-2021, 11:05 AM)dfrecore Wrote: ONU's ...

I see, I will go with Study then. Will TEL be recognized as RA credit? I want RA microecon, so wouldn't it be better if I took it with UMPI?

Thank you all!
TEL is RA, yes.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(11-03-2021, 12:07 PM)atmoex Wrote: I see, I will go with Study then. Will TEL be recognized as RA credit? I want RA microecon, so wouldn't it be better if I took it with UMPI?

Thank you all!

UMPI does not offer micro. Their econ class is a blend of micro and macro all in 1 class. If you really need an understanding of economics and don't have a background in it, then I would not take it as a CBE class. CBE is designed for using your experience and knowledge. I'd look at some of the community colleges that offer it. There are a few different ones people mention on this forum often. ASU may have it as well. 

For the calculus I would definitely look at taking the class at a nearby community college in person since it sounds like you may struggle with this class.
ASU does have both macro and micro econ available. But the next macro is in January and micro is in March.

https://ea.asu.edu/courses/macroeconomic...s-ecn-211/
https://ea.asu.edu/courses/microeconomic...s-ecn-212/

Business calc has a self-paced option and you can enroll any time. And, if you fail the course, you only pay the $25 upgrade fee. So it might be a good way to at least dip your toes into Calculus to see if and what you might need help with if you took a course in person:
https://ea.asu.edu/courses/brief-calculus-mat-210/

TEL has two proctored exams per course, but they do have Microeconomics. Get it transcripted through MACU: https://www.tellearning.org/partners/mid...con-tabs|1 Complete Macroeconomics at Sophia.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • jch, Pikachu
Regarding the sequencing of the accounting courses, you could look at the Business and GEC file that is linked from a prior post: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=3715
It is out of date, things have been added, etc, etc., but let’s take that as a starting place.

If that is correct, Financial is the only accounting class that is being offered during each 8-week term.

If you started in term 2, you could do something like

Semester I, Term II
Financial, managerial

Semester II, Term I:
Intermediate I, Auditing, Fed Tax I

Semester II, Term II:
Intermediate II, Fed Tax II, Advanced

Cost Accounting and Government/Non-Profit Accounting would have to go in there as well, not sure which term they fit in as they are not on that grid.

If you don’t transfer in at least financial, you are going to be taking 3-5 upper level accounting classes per term during your second semester. That would be tough, but it is doable, I think.

I suppose it’s also possible that you could start in Term I and take Financial and then Intermediate I (and even Tax I if you are able to). Most schools require you to take Financial and Managerial before you can take any of the upper-level courses, but not UMPI, assuming the YourPace website is complete. It appears you can take intermediate without taking managerial.

Honestly, that might be the best way to do it, assuming they would let you enroll in the courses, might be something like:

Semester I, Term I:
Financial, Intermediate I

Semester I, Term II:
Managerial, Intermediate II

Semester II, Term I:
Tax I, Auditing

Semester I, Term II:
Tax II, Advanced

With Cost and Gov/Non-prof fit in during those Semester II terms. It certainly would be easier for you.  

Assuming you don’t transfer in any accounting courses, it appears possible (though challenging) to finish in 3 terms if you start in Term II. If you start in Term I, it is going to take, at minimum, 4 terms.

I think the key thing is that you need to be taking more than 1 accounting class each term. The advisor (Jessica, assuming things don’t change) enrolls you in your classes.  She was pretty good about working with me on what classes I was taking. Just ask her, preferably nicely, to prioritize taking accounting classes. Explain your plan if you need to.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 1 user Likes freeloader's post:
  • atmoex
Do you plan on becoming a licensed CPA?  Check with your state licensing requirements as pretty much all states require 150 credits to become licensed.  This can be done using UMPI.

The Calculus 1, Intro to Statistics, Microeconomics, Financial Accounting some of those courses can be done at UMPI.  Do what you can at UMPI, get your degree first, then do the other RA stuff later.

I would love to write a paper about Calculus at UMPI for a grade instead of taking a regular class that required actual math.

Let see how it would go something like...."I really like Calculus, it's a super-duper fun course that literary changed my life.  Oh my godness how fun Calculus is to learn!  Honestly, I'm super serial about Calculus and spend lotess of timesess reading about Calculus."
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • one_step_at_a_time

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 80 Yesterday, 11:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 139 04-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 5 578 04-20-2024, 09:22 PM
  New Member with a UMPI Question colonelcamp 13 442 04-19-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 624 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 2,092 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 252 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace Dr Tree Man 12 524 04-13-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 16 614 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 9 378 04-07-2024, 10:32 PM