Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI - Upper level credits required
Hi everyone
Does anyone know how many upper level credts are required to complete any one of their online bachelor degrees? 
By upper level I am referring to courses in the 300 or 400 range.
You need 30 UL credits at UMPI. You also need 30 residency credits. You do not need to take every single UL class at UMPI but it does work out well if you choose to do so.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • JannikT
(05-04-2021, 03:45 PM)rachel83az Wrote: You need 30 UL credits at UMPI. You also need 30 residency credits. You do not need to take every single UL class at UMPI but it does work out well if you choose to do so.

Thank you for answering. That makes alot of sense looking at the various programs.
(05-04-2021, 03:18 PM)JannikT Wrote: Hi everyone
Does anyone know how many upper level credts are required to complete any one of their online bachelor degrees? 

It depends on the degree. Each degree has different UL requirements. Keep in mind that you must complete the vast majority of the UL courses at UMPI. This is a university requirement. It may put you over the 30 credit minimum to be completed at UMPI. I say this as a UMPI YourPace Alumni.
[-] The following 3 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • ashkir, JannikT, Pikachu
(05-04-2021, 04:06 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

It depends on the degree. Each degree has different UL requirements. Keep in mind that you must complete the vast majority of the UL courses at UMPI. This is a university requirement. It may put you over the 30 credit minimum to be completed at UMPI. I say this as a UMPI YourPace Alumni.

I agree with ss20ts here.

I also found a lot of the upper levels on UMPI to be super manageable and sometimes better then the LL courses. So don't be afraid to take them at UMPI they will not slow you down. They're just more complicated topics that build upon previous topics basically. Think of them all as 102s vs 101s.

Residency Requirements

"All four-year degree candidates must complete at least 30 credit hours of study through UMPI in order to receive a baccalaureate degree. At least 12 of these credits must be in the major and at least 9 of these 12 must be at the upper level (300-level or above)."

That says 9UL must be completed at UMPI.

Some LL courses at Sophia/Study.com/InstantCert come in as UL at UMPI for example Sophia Business Law is UL.  Keep that in mind.

The BA Biz Admin Management and Leadership has 10UL courses you have to take by my count.

As some on DegreForum already suggested, it's not worth it to take Study.com UL courses and write papers just to transfer in UL courses into UMPI because it may be the same or easier just to take the course at UMPI.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • Pikachu, StudiousTraveller
(05-12-2021, 03:47 PM)ashkir Wrote:
(05-04-2021, 04:06 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

I agree with ss20ts here.

I also found a lot of the upper levels on UMPI to be super manageable and sometimes better then the LL courses. So don't be afraid to take them at UMPI they will not slow you down. They're just more complicated topics that build upon previous topics basically. Think of them all as 102s vs 101s.

I would think that you'd want to leave the minor/concentration coursework for UMPI in general.  Since you have to take 30cr there, it may as well be in the Area of Study (not sure what to call it since I wouldn't necessarily suggest that you take all of the Business major/core courses at UMPI - there are too many).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-13-2021, 01:47 AM)LevelUP Wrote:

Residency Requirements

"All four-year degree candidates must complete at least 30 credit hours of study through UMPI in order to receive a baccalaureate degree. At least 12 of these credits must be in the major and at least 9 of these 12 must be at the upper level (300-level or above)."

That says 9UL must be completed at UMPI.

Some LL courses at Sophia/Study.com/InstantCert come in as UL at UMPI for example Sophia Business Law is UL.  Keep that in mind.

The BA Biz Admin Management and Leadership has 10UL courses you have to take by my count.

As some on DegreForum already suggested, it's not worth it to take Study.com UL courses and write papers just to transfer in UL courses into UMPI because it may be the same or easier just to take the course at UMPI.

I had to complete way more than 9 UL credits at UMPI. I also transferred in UL courses from other colleges.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • StudiousTraveller

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 48 4,445 11 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  choosing between UMPI BBA in management&leadership vs project management whereismyramen 6 174 03-26-2024, 04:13 PM
  What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? RachelB 3 166 03-26-2024, 05:50 AM
  Help with UMPI admissions requirement Throwmeaway1590 2 218 03-25-2024, 08:24 PM
  Sophia's Human biology and lab did not meet UMPi's BIO 105 HappyPeanut 9 850 03-22-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: lifted567
  UMPI BLS Minor Business theea 5 266 03-20-2024, 02:41 PM
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 95 56,464 03-20-2024, 03:37 AM
Last Post: theea
  HELP! SDC to UMPI transfer jrock87 3 200 03-16-2024, 12:14 AM
Last Post: jrock87
  UL Courses Outside of UMPI - Fast CCCollege 7 942 03-11-2024, 10:46 AM
  AI in UMPI him22 16 1,255 03-09-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Ares