Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
UMPI YourPace ACE (Sophia) Transcript Results
(12-18-2020, 11:45 AM)ashkir Wrote: I inquired about foreign language. It wasn't required for me not for my hearing impairment, it was because my previous transcript from California High School system (UMPI required my high school transcript) I met their states foreign language law and wasn't forced to take it, because I took it in high school lol. didn't know that was a thing

Edit: High school foreign language can count as a PLA Smile

Interesting PLA that you don't even need to request/justify it. I'm glad they're being generous, but given your average high school language course . . . seems to miss the point of having a foreign language requirement,
(12-18-2020, 12:33 PM)innen_oda Wrote:
(12-18-2020, 11:45 AM)ashkir Wrote: I inquired about foreign language. It wasn't required for me not for my hearing impairment, it was because my previous transcript from California High School system (UMPI required my high school transcript) I met their states foreign language law and wasn't forced to take it, because I took it in high school lol. didn't know that was a thing

Interesting PLA that you don't even need to request/justify it. I'm glad they're being generous, but given your average high school language course . . . seems to miss the point of having a foreign language requirement,

I probably should disclose it was an AP level one Smile
I can take russian through whatever will transfer as credit to aviod spending time on it at UMPI. I am limited on financing so i will spend time on other course instead during term. Learning language is very time consuming if u have no prior knowledge
(12-18-2020, 03:42 PM)ashkir Wrote:

AP courses are taken in high school for college credit. They aren't PLA. PLA is a course which you write papers on your experience on that topic.

(12-17-2020, 05:52 PM)ashkir Wrote:
(12-17-2020, 05:49 PM)Cofffeee Wrote: The big issue for me with UMPI is a foreign language course. It can take some time to get it done if u have 0 knowledge

The foreign language course is only required for History. The business majors didn't require it for me. Smile

Plus everything at UMPI is open book

The few exams that there are are not open book. Most courses have a paper or project. I know of about 5 courses that have an exam.
(12-18-2020, 06:15 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(12-18-2020, 03:42 PM)ashkir Wrote:

AP courses are taken in high school for college credit. They aren't PLA. PLA is a course which you write papers on your experience on that topic.

(12-17-2020, 05:52 PM)ashkir Wrote:
(12-17-2020, 05:49 PM)Cofffeee Wrote: The big issue for me with UMPI is a foreign language course. It can take some time to get it done if u have 0 knowledge

The foreign language course is only required for History. The business majors didn't require it for me. Smile

Plus everything at UMPI is open book

The few exams that there are are not open book. Most courses have a paper or project. I know of about 5 courses that have an exam.
UMPI  self paced courses that can be taken to transfer to other colleges, are they a type of independent study or require enrollment?
(12-19-2020, 10:46 PM)Seagull Wrote: UMPI  self paced courses that can be taken to transfer to other colleges, are they a type of independent study or require enrollment?

UMPI are self paced courses. The program is called YourPace. They are not independent study. You have to apply to UMPI and then enroll at UMPI. Sure you can transfer elsewhere, but why? Might as well just complete one of their degrees. Their program isn't really designed for you to transfer elsewhere. It's designed for adult learners to complete their degree program at UMPI.
(12-20-2020, 01:44 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 10:46 PM)Seagull Wrote: UMPI  self paced courses that can be taken to transfer to other colleges, are they a type of independent study or require enrollment?

UMPI are self paced courses. The program is called YourPace. They are not independent study. You have to apply to UMPI and then enroll at UMPI. Sure you can transfer elsewhere, but why? Might as well just complete one of their degrees. Their program isn't really designed for you to transfer elsewhere. It's designed for adult learners to complete their degree program at UMPI.
Thanks. I saw UMPI before suggested for courses but not as its own program. Seems more appealing now with TESU transfer credits rule changes.
(11-30-2020, 05:12 PM)ashkir Wrote: UMPI YourPace was very generous with my ACE transcript full of Sophia classes. Take a look:

Sophia is in Bold > UMPI Class transferred in as
Accounting > BUS 150 Intro to Financial Accounting
Ancient Greek Philosophers > PHI 1XX Philosophy Elective
Approaches to Studying Religions > ANT 1XX Anthropology Elective
Art History I > ART 211 Art History I
Art History II > ART 212 Art History II
Business Law > BUS 350 Business Law I*
College Algebra > MAT 117 College Algebra
Conflict Resolution > BUS 210 Organizational Communication
Developing Effective Teams > BUS 1XX Business Elective
English Composition I > ENG 101 College Composition
English Composition II > ENG 121 College Composition II
Environmental Science > ENV 110 Intro to Environmental Science
Foundations of Statistics > MAT 1XX Math Elective
Human Biology > BIO 103 Human Biology
Introduction to Business > BUS 101 Introduction to Business
Introduction to Ethics > PHI 152 Introduction to Ethics
Introduction to Information Technology > COS 103 Intro to Information Tech
Introduction to Psychology > PSY 100 General Psychology
Introduction to Sociology > SOC 100 Introduction to Sociology
Introduction to Statistics > MAT 101 Basic Statistics
Macroeconomics > ECO 1XX Economics elective**
Microeconomics > ECO 207 Macro & Micro Economics**
Principles of Finance > BUS 1XX Business Elective
Project Management > BUS 141 Intro Project Mgmt/MS Projects
The Essentials of Managing Conflict > BUS 1XX Business Elective
U.S. History I > HTY 161 United States History I
U.S. History II > HTY 162 United States History II
Visual Communications >  COM 1XX General Elective

When you say something like "came in as a Philosophy elective", what does that mean?  Does it fulfill the GE requirement in Areas 2a, 2b, 4c, and 5d?  Or does it just come in as a Free Elective? Or a GE Elective (to make the 40cr you need to have)?

Also, did you take the remaining Sophia courses, so we know what they won't accept?
College Readiness
Foundations of English Composition
Public Speaking
Foundations of College Algebra
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-25-2020, 05:31 PM)dfrecore Wrote: When you say something like "came in as a Philosophy elective", what does that mean?  Does it fulfill the GE requirement in Areas 2a, 2b, 4c, and 5d?  Or does it just come in as a Free Elective?

It would need to come in as PHI151 to count for the Intro to Philosophy I believe. All of my courses that transferred in as XXX Elective are in my general electives not my GEC which is the 40 credits in the required General Education Curriculum. Even if a course fills more than one of the learning objectives, you still need a minimum of 40 credits in the GEC.
(12-20-2020, 01:44 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

Unless one has a stake in their program or work for them, why does it matter if students want to transfer these UMPI courses to another college?  Huh
[-] The following 1 user Likes Seagull's post:
  • NC Coach

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 48 4,437 9 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
Rainbow GEC Critical & Creative Thinking Learning Objective D - Sophia equivalents? mythomagician 2 81 03-27-2024, 07:59 PM
  choosing between UMPI BBA in management&leadership vs project management whereismyramen 6 171 03-26-2024, 04:13 PM
  What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? RachelB 3 165 03-26-2024, 05:50 AM
  Help with UMPI admissions requirement Throwmeaway1590 2 218 03-25-2024, 08:24 PM
  Sophia's Human biology and lab did not meet UMPi's BIO 105 HappyPeanut 9 848 03-22-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: lifted567
  UMPI BLS Minor Business theea 5 265 03-20-2024, 02:41 PM
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 95 56,452 03-20-2024, 03:37 AM
Last Post: theea
  HELP! SDC to UMPI transfer jrock87 3 199 03-16-2024, 12:14 AM
Last Post: jrock87
  Which Sophia Classes Meet These Requirements? gc82 2 197 03-15-2024, 10:15 AM