Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI degree in BABA (or anything BA with Masters option down the road)
I started my plan with the idea of transferring to TESC but I think UMPI might be a better fit as I have a Science Lab from a local college. So on to the questions - 

I have an AA from South Suburban College.

1. I want to get an idea where my current completed classes match up to in a BABA at UMPI. (classes from South Suburban College listed below).
2. Where should the remaining courses be taken?
3. Spanish I - Language is a taunting goal for me... what/where is this going to be easiest to fulfill?

Current completed class list, all from SSC.com (South Suburban College)

BUS-108 Intro To Business
PSY-101 Intro to Psych
ENG-101 Comp & Rhetoric
SOC-101 Intro to Sociology
ECO-201 Economics/Macroeconomics
ENG-102 Comp & Lit
BUS-203 Principles of Marketing
SPE-108 Oral Communications
ACC-120 Financial Accounting
ART-107 Art Appreciation
PHL-102 Ethics
BUS-253 Marketing Mgmt Internship I
BUS-254 Marketing Mgmt Internship II
PHL-101 Intro to Philosophy
BIO-101 Concepts of Biology
BLW-203 Legal Environment of Business
HUM-205 Introduction to Rock n Roll
HLT-101 Health and Wellness
AST-101 Introduction to Astronomy (LAB)
HTH-126 Fundamentals of Statistics
If you know a different language aside from Spanish, you could take the ACTFL instead. If you know 0 non-English languages, InstantCert would be the way to go. Unlike Study.com, they don't require any speaking or writing assignments. Just listening and reading during the exam, which can be much easier.

I would combine InstantCert with the DuoLingo and MosaLingua apps to start getting used to the Spanish language as quickly as possible. MosaLingua is a flashcard app. I don't remember what you get for free, but if you pay for a premium subscription then you can choose which words you want to prioritize in your study. LanguageTransfer and its associated app is another good resource. Good for if you're driving in the car and can listen to "audiobooks" but can't use an actual app.

Other notable apps, depending on how serious you want to get, include: Forge, Speakly, Linguistica, Fluent Forever, Bluebird, Kaizen, and Babbel. I have personally tried all of these and they each bring something different to the table. The "best" resource depends on the person. I would definitely focus on InstantCert, but a little extra study when you're not sitting directly in front of your computer wouldn't go amiss. 

I get a little excited about languages, if you can tell. They're not as bad/difficult as school makes them seem. 

Remaining courses should mainly be taken at Sophia and Study.com. That is the cheapest/easiet way to meet UMPI's GEC requirements. As a reminder, you will need to take at least 30 credits from UMPI and most of your UL credits also need to be from them. Gen Ed requirements can be viewed here: http://catalog.umpi.edu/preview_program....3&poid=239

1A: Met by ENG-101
1B: Met by ENG-102
1C: Should be met by SPE-108, or you could take American Government from InstantCert to be sure.
1D: Met by ENG-101
2A: Met by PHL-102
2B: Met by PHL-102
2C: Met by ENG-102
2D: Possibly met by ART-107, but probably not. Can take at UMPI or take Humanities 201: Critical Thinking & Analysis at Study.com
2E: Met by ART-107
3A: Should be met by your stats class.
3B: Should be met by your stats class.
3C: Met by HLT-101 or BIO-101.
3D: I think you need Environmental Science @ Sophia. I don't think your Astronomy class counts for this one.
3E: AST-101 as long as this is a 4-credit class. A 3-credit class with lab doesn't count.
4A: UMPI
4B: Met by ENG-102
4C: Met by PHL-102
5A: Met by SOC-101
5B: US History @ Sophia. Either one works, but I think 1 was easier than 2.
5C: Foreign language; InstantCert or ACTFL.
5D: Met by PHL-101
5E: Take at UMPI or American Government @ InstantCert. 

I think you also need Microecon from Sophia. UMPI's is a combined micro/macro econ and yours might not count. 3 credits would go to ECO-207 and 3 into electives. Each BABA at UMPI has 18-21 credits of electives. That's 5 or 6 more courses at Sophia, after taking the econ one into account. HUM-205 may also go into electives, but it's probably easier to transfer in an extra Sophia course just to be sure.

BLW-203 may transfer in as BUS-353. I'm not sure about the marketing ones.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Pikachu
(01-06-2022, 11:25 AM)rachel83az Wrote: If you know a different language aside from Spanish, you could take the ACTFL instead. If you know 0 non-English languages, InstantCert would be the way to go. Unlike Study.com, they don't require any speaking or writing assignments. Just listening and reading during the exam, which can be much easier.

I would combine InstantCert with the DuoLingo and MosaLingua apps to start getting used to the Spanish language as quickly as possible. MosaLingua is a flashcard app. I don't remember what you get for free, but if you pay for a premium subscription then you can choose which words you want to prioritize in your study. LanguageTransfer and its associated app is another good resource. Good for if you're driving in the car and can listen to "audiobooks" but can't use an actual app.

Other notable apps, depending on how serious you want to get, include: Forge, Speakly, Linguistica, Fluent Forever, Bluebird, Kaizen, and Babbel. I have personally tried all of these and they each bring something different to the table. The "best" resource depends on the person. I would definitely focus on InstantCert, but a little extra study when you're not sitting directly in front of your computer wouldn't go amiss. 

I get a little excited about languages, if you can tell. They're not as bad/difficult as school makes them seem. 

Remaining courses should mainly be taken at Sophia and Study.com. That is the cheapest/easiet way to meet UMPI's GEC requirements. As a reminder, you will need to take at least 30 credits from UMPI and most of your UL credits also need to be from them. Gen Ed requirements can be viewed here: http://catalog.umpi.edu/preview_program....3&poid=239

1A: Met by ENG-101
1B: Met by ENG-102
1C: Should be met by SPE-108, or you could take American Government from InstantCert to be sure.
1D: Met by ENG-101
2A: Met by PHL-102
2B: Met by PHL-102
2C: Met by ENG-102
2D: Possibly met by ART-107, but probably not. Can take at UMPI or take Humanities 201: Critical Thinking & Analysis at Study.com
2E: Met by ART-107
3A: Should be met by your stats class.
3B: Should be met by your stats class.
3C: Met by HLT-101 or BIO-101.
3D: I think you need Environmental Science @ Sophia. I don't think your Astronomy class counts for this one.
3E: AST-101 as long as this is a 4-credit class. A 3-credit class with lab doesn't count.
4A: UMPI
4B: Met by ENG-102
4C: Met by PHL-102
5A: Met by SOC-101
5B: US History @ Sophia. Either one works, but I think 1 was easier than 2.
5C: Foreign language; InstantCert or ACTFL.
5D: Met by PHL-101
5E: Take at UMPI or American Government @ InstantCert. 

I think you also need Microecon from Sophia. UMPI's is a combined micro/macro econ and yours might not count. 3 credits would go to ECO-207 and 3 into electives. Each BABA at UMPI has 18-21 credits of electives. That's 5 or 6 more courses at Sophia, after taking the econ one into account. HUM-205 may also go into electives, but it's probably easier to transfer in an extra Sophia course just to be sure.

BLW-203 may transfer in as BUS-353. I'm not sure about the marketing ones.

Thanks for the follow up, I tried Spanish in High School (30 yrs ago) and it didn't go well Wink

Knowing I'd have to "eat that frog" I started doing daily DuoLingo exercises two weeks ago. I found that I remember a lot more then I thought. I do not know how much it relates to the InstantCert test though... is there a study guide anyone found useful? Hate to be the "test educated" guy but my daily life fails to provide stimulus to keep a language alive in my brain anyway...
HS Spanish suuuuuuuuuuuuucks. Especially if you didn't have a native speaker as a teacher. Not that non-natives can't teach Spanish, but native speakers (IMO) tend to teach better quality/more immersive Spanish than teachers who only learned the language in college and then went on to teach in HS.

InstantCert itself is the study guide, though! Check out this thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...rse-Review
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
  • Pikachu
I tried to follow @ashkir google sheet but couldn't find a few things - 4A (university experience) and 2D (hands on Art) seem to missing from the plan... 

ok getting closer... I missed my BLW-201 Intro to business law class though it most likely is a general elective, like everything I have seems to be...

I have to find where to take the missing classes and leave 30 credits to do at UMPI. Sophia is my first option to fill things in due to the flat fee... then what ever else fits in I guess....

Here's a link to the google sheet. - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing
Your BLW-201 course may come in as BUS-350 Business Law I. Sophia's Business Law is also LL, but it comes in as UL because UMPI doesn't have a LL Business Law.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
  • Pikachu
(01-06-2022, 02:44 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Your BLW-201 course may come in as BUS-350 Business Law I. Sophia's Business Law is also LL, but it comes in as UL because UMPI doesn't have a LL Business Law.

Is the degree plan "flexible" it look from the plan on line that the classes are strict to the plan. Would I need to change to a different degree plan to better maximize the credits I already have from my local college?
It's pretty strict. That said, assuming that all 76 credits transfer in as on your spreadsheet, you're actually doing fairly well! Check this thread for a plan for the same degree: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-for-3-222
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(01-06-2022, 02:53 PM)rachel83az Wrote: It's pretty strict. That said, assuming that all 76 credits transfer in as on your spreadsheet, you're actually doing fairly well! Check this thread for a plan for the same degree: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-for-3-222

That's the plan I had been working off of... though I could see how he completed 4A and his classes are different then the plan I have for BABA Management and leadership - Maybe I don't have the correct YourPace class schedule?
I think Astronomy will work as a Physical Science (it should as it is).
For Creative Decision Making, do the UMPI course, the Study.com course is harder than the UMPI course IIRC
You need Microeconomics
Take COM 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace (SDC) or Communication at Work (Sophia)

Also, the BABA is has a lot more requirements than the BLS degree, but since you have so many courses that work in the degree, you should be fine. You won't gain a lot by switching to the BLS unless you really don't want a business degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Pikachu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 26 311 43 minutes ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 119 6 hours ago
Last Post: curious
  Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace Dr Tree Man 10 186 Yesterday, 07:24 PM
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 265 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,469 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,847 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 171 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 947 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 558 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower
  Graduate TAMUC>UMPI graduatemore 7 508 03-21-2024, 09:14 PM