Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unfriendly professors
Didn't read all replies, but look into your college rules.

At my CC for example, if they put it in the syllabus - they CAN'T change it. The entire purpose of the syllabus is to be a guide and source of information to students, if they change it whenever, then it is pretty useless. Some colleges view the syllabus as somewhat of a contract between student/teacher and thus, take a hard look at teachers that don't follow their own syllabus. You aren't asking for an exception to any rule. You are asking him to accept your paper under the rules he himself outlined in writing at the start of class.

The teacher is asking all of his students to disregard his own syllabus, which seems like something a student has more reason to get ticked about than the teacher, at least to my mind.

Personally, I wouldn't take this up with the dean if there was any way I could just adjust my paper in time. Tho teachers who don't follow their own syllabi are a huge peeve of mine, I wouldn't cause a ruckus over it unless it became a regular source of frustration or might affect my grade. Then, I would and have brought it up to the dean. (twice ever)
M.
Mom of 11

Graduated 6, still home educating 5

Credits from CC classes:
eng 1113 freshman comp 1
eng comp 2
pos 1113 american fed gov't (political sci.)
spa 1103 spanish 1
bio 2123 human ecology
his 1493 american history civil war era - present
phi 1113 intro to philosophy
soc 1113 intro to sociology
total credits 24 hours
gpa 3.12

MomOfMany Wrote:At my CC for example, if they put it in the syllabus - they CAN'T change it. The entire purpose of the syllabus is to be a guide and source of information to students, if they change it whenever, then it is pretty useless. Some colleges view the syllabus as somewhat of a contract between student/teacher and thus, take a hard look at teachers that don't follow their own syllabus. You aren't asking for an exception to any rule. You are asking him to accept your paper under the rules he himself outlined in writing at the start of class.

The teacher is asking all of his students to disregard his own syllabus, which seems like something a student has more reason to get ticked about than the teacher, at least to my mind
Dude I am so jealous! One of my profs this quarter, whom I actually have for 2 classes, basically threw out his entire syllabus! We are like three quizzes off schedule and there are assignments that he skipped, and assignments that he throws in when it suits his fancy. I could pull my hair out. *repeats to self* 1.5 more weeks. 1.5 more weeks. Confusedmilelol:
TESC Criminal Justice BA '12
B&M Civil Engineering BS (In Progress)
PonyGirl93 Wrote:Dude I am so jealous! One of my profs this quarter, whom I actually have for 2 classes, basically threw out his entire syllabus! We are like three quizzes off schedule and there are assignments that he skipped, and assignments that he throws in when it suits his fancy. I could pull my hair out. *repeats to self* 1.5 more weeks. 1.5 more weeks. Confusedmilelol:

oh no! Check your school info. At the very same CC I reference above, there are teachers I know for a fact that are like you describe because they bank on a.) student ignorance and b.) that too many students don't read the syllabus anyways. When I withdrew from a class for this reason, the form asked why and I stated this reason. (If I had known even HALF of what the teacher changed prior I would never have enrolled in it!) In another class, the teacher changed things about 1/3 into the session and I couldn't w/d at that point without it affecting my grade. I asked the teacher in private email if I could please stick to the orignal requirement of the syllabus and the teacher refused. I went to the dean and he recommended the teacher let me fulfill the original syllabus requirements as otherwise the course was asking a commitment of me I wouldnt have made if I had known when enrolling. Teacher wasn't happy, but it was better than letting my grade suffer.
M.
Mom of 11

Graduated 6, still home educating 5

Credits from CC classes:
eng 1113 freshman comp 1
eng comp 2
pos 1113 american fed gov't (political sci.)
spa 1103 spanish 1
bio 2123 human ecology
his 1493 american history civil war era - present
phi 1113 intro to philosophy
soc 1113 intro to sociology
total credits 24 hours
gpa 3.12

MomOfMany - I guess my school doesn't have a rule on not changing the syllabus...

...he specifically went through reading the whole syllabus...That's what got me upset. At least I'm done with it Smile
- [SIZE="2"]STG[/SIZE]
[COLOR="Plum"][SIZE="1"]Intro to Sociology 51|Biology 54|Intro to Psychology 61
College Algebra A[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]124 credits: B.A Social Sciences [B]DONE in 14 months; August 2011[/COLOR][/B]
"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty"- [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Winston Churchill[/COLOR]
I got a 95 on the Capstone I paper!!! Smile
- [SIZE="2"]STG[/SIZE]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]124 credits: B.A Social Sciences [B]DONE in 14 months; August 2011[/COLOR][/B]
"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty"- [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Winston Churchill[/COLOR]
*shakes and twitches* we will see how "friendly" one of my profs is, I just accidentally clicked the google search bar and closed out blackboard on a one-try final exam. It submitted banghead I was only like 3/5 of the way through. It's worth 30% of our final grade. :puke:

I emailed him and will continue to check my email at 10 second intervals every waking moment until he responds :ack:

:willynilly:
TESC Criminal Justice BA '12
B&M Civil Engineering BS (In Progress)
Wow!! I really hope he understands...good luck!
- [SIZE="2"]STG[/SIZE]
I got an A in my Capstone class!! I took this professor twice before (sociology and minority groups) and got a B+ and finally I got an A...he's one of the toughest markers out there...I'm so excited!!!!
- [SIZE="2"]STG[/SIZE]
purpleteen Wrote:I got an A in my Capstone class!! I took this professor twice before (sociology and minority groups) and got a B+ and finally I got an A...he's one of the toughest markers out there...I'm so excited!!!!

Cool! Congrats!! cheersmate
CLEP:
West. Civ I - 65, A&I Lit - 66, Biology - 65, Chemistry - 55, Nat. Sciences - 64, US Hist I - 68, Am. Lit - 61, US Hist II - 62, Am. Gov. - 67, Macroecon. - 63, Microecon. - 75, College Comp. - 66, Prin. of Marketing - 68, Prin. of Mngt - 71

DSST:
Civil War and Reconst. - 70, Prin. of Supervision - 443, Intro to World Rel - 477, Intro to Bus - 443, HR Mgmt - 64, Intro to Computing - 458, Prin. of Fin. Acct - 80Big Grin, Bus Ethics & Society - 447, Prin. of Finance - 437

ALEKS:
Int. Algebra, College Algebra, Precalc, Intro to Stats., Business Stats.

SAYLOR:
Corp. Comm - 78%, Bus Law and Ethics - 76%

PENN FOSTER:
Manag. Acct. - 96, Int. Acct. 1 - 98, Int. Acct. 2 - 87, Cost Acct. - 94, Strategic Bus. Mngt. - 95

ADAMS STATE:
Auditing - 89

LSU:
Adv. Acct. - B

TECEP:
Fed Income Taxation

BSBA Accounting

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Rise of Colleges without Classes or Professors allvia 5 1,202 03-06-2019, 12:52 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Professors aren't always right DavidHume 29 4,737 02-23-2018, 12:19 PM
Last Post: davewill