Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upper Level Credit for TESU BA Gen Management
Hey all,

I'm enrolled at TESU getting a BSBA in General Management.

I'm looking for some upper level courses I can take through CLEP and DSST. Possibly even Study.com if it's fast enough.

Have three classes left and hope to get it done ASAP.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Appreciate your help!
I don't believe any of the CLEP exams transfer in as UL. 

I'm not sure any of the following DSST UL exams would fit your degree, but these are the only ones I think that will come in as UL:

Money and Banking (ECO-332)
Fundamentals of Cybersecurity (CIS-344)
Substance Abuse (SOS-304)
History of the Soviet Union (HIS-386)

It would probably help to know which courses you have completed so far in order to give better suggestions for the three remaining UL courses you are trying to fill.
[-] The following 1 user Likes shadowgem's post:
  • WhyHello!
(03-24-2019, 07:58 PM)shadowgem Wrote: I don't believe any of the CLEP exams transfer in as UL. 

I'm not sure any of the following DSST UL exams would fit your degree, but these are the only ones I think that will come in as UL:

Money and Banking (ECO-332)
Fundamentals of Cybersecurity (CIS-344)
Substance Abuse (SOS-304)
History of the Soviet Union (HIS-386)

It would probably help to know which courses you have completed so far in order to give better suggestions for the three remaining UL courses you are trying to fill.

Out of those, only the Economics course would potentially fit into the BSBA GM AOS. CIS-344 would fit if the OP had the CIS AOS. The other two are just Gen Eds or electives for business degrees.

Since you're doing BSBA GM, you need at least 3 credits in each of 3 of the 4 AOS elective areas. Here are some UL courses I'm aware of that should come in as UL from Study.com or via TECEP exams (since I don't think there are any other CLEP or DSST exams that still come in as UL in this AOS)...

For Accounting:

Study.com Accounting 301 (Applied Managerial Accounting)
Study.com Accounting 303 (Cost Accounting)
TECEP Federal Income Taxation

For Finance:

Study.com Finance 301 (Corporate Finance)
TECEP Security Analysis and Portfolio Management
TECEP Financial Institutions and Markets

For Management:

Most of the Study.com Business courses above Business-300 should come in under the Management area in the GM AOS.

For Marketing:

Study.com Business 309 (Digital Marketing & Advertising)
Study.com Hospitality 301 (Hospitality Marketing)
Study.com Marketing 301 (Marketing Research)
Study.com Marketing 302 (Consumer Behavior)
Study.com Marketing 308 (Applied Marketing)
TECEP Marketing Communications
TECEP Sales Management
TECEP Advertising
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • suzycupcake, WhyHello!
Thank you!!
Merlin and Shadowgem, do you know of any other places I can get credit in ways similar to CLEP or DSST?
(03-25-2019, 11:52 AM)WhyHello! Wrote: Merlin and Shadowgem, do you know of any other places I can get credit in ways similar to CLEP or DSST?

Do you mean in person proctoring, or 'One and Done' exam credit? Davar has a few exams that come in UL and work in the BSBA-GM AOS at TESU, https://www.davaracademy.com/business.html
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

If by similar you mean a one time exam, you may want to consider TECEP exams as Merlin suggested, CSU Globall SSA Exams, or Davar Academy exams. Maybe even Saylor. Saylor does offer the option of in-person proctoring if that is what you mean by similar to the CLEP/DSST exams.

All are typically driven by self study of suggested textbooks and/or study materials, followed by a one time exams for credit. 

In my opinion, Davar is a nice option for self study, inexpensive UL credits and offers a business class membership option to even further discount business courses (2 for $99 per month). A few Davar courses do require a project/paper which should be indicated in the course syllabus, but most Davar courses are self study, followed by a P/F exam that consist of a set of mc questions and then 10 short essay questions. You purchase a study guide from Davar, study the slides and any other provided materials until you feel ready to take the exam, and then pay the proctor fee (you can choose either RpNow or Proctor U) and take the exam. Davar courses are not ACE but rather NCCRS recommended for credit and do transfer to TESU. Davar will send the first transcript to TESU for free upon request once you have completed your exam(s). You can see the transfer articulation agreement at the bottom of the page in the above link, but sometimes things change unexpectedly so I would definitely double check with advising that the course will come in as expected ahead of time if you can.

The TECEPs Merlin suggested are a bit more expensive than other options at $75 per credit for UL (300-400) courses ($225 per 3 credits), but very similar to the CLEP/DSST experience as well since they are a one time P/F challenge exam for the course. TESU provides a free basic study guide with suggestions for source material on what you can use to study and prepare to take the exam. You can study at your own pace and then register for the TECEP and schedule the online P/F proctored exam (through ProctorU) when you are prepared to take it. TECEP exams should be very easy to pre-plan with advising to ensure they meet the course requirements you are trying to fill since they are offered by TESU.

CSU Global SSA exams are similar as well but also a bit pricey in comparison to other options. In general they tend to be an excellent options for courses you can not find anywhere else to meet your degree plan (not necessarily the case here though). They are one time challenge exams. When you register for the CSU Global SSA they provide you with study materials and offer suggestions for recommended textbooks to read in preparation for the challenge exam. When you are ready to take the exam, you pay the fee which is $250 per 3 credit SSA exam. TESU generally accepts CSU exams and they do offer quite a few that should work for your plan, but you should may want to consider if the higher cost for the exam is worth it in comparison to other options. Also, I would be sure to work with advising ahead of time to make sure the exams you may choose will actually transfer into TESU as expected ahead of time. 

According to the TESU/Saylor transfer agreement (linked above) Saylor may also be an option for a couple of UL business courses that may fit into your degree plan depending on what you have left and assuming they have not recently changed course equivalencies for any Saylor courses listed on that agreement. The Saylor/TESU transfer agreement does not include all credit recommended courses, but it should give you a decent idea of what TESU will possibly accept and where, such as Saylors Bus: 203 may work for the marketing section (says it will transfer as MAR-301) and Bus: 208 may work in the management section (says it will transfer as MAN-301). Also, they will accept other courses (as long as they are either ACE/NCCRS approved) for transfer if they meet your degree requirements. Saylor is very inexpensive from either free (if you can arrange a local proctor yourself at no charge) to only $25 if you opt to schedule the P/F final exam online with ProctorU. The courses are completely free and ungraded, however sometimes they can be a bit clunky and/or time consuming to get through them. You can take the practice final for free as well. And again, I would suggest verifying that any course/exam you may plan to take via Saylor would fit into your remaining degree requirements with advising ahead of time. 

Also, if you have not taken a study.com course, the ones Merlin suggested may be worth considering as well given the discounts TESU offers SDC affiliated students. Unlike CLEP, DSST, or the above options, SDC does offer more of a course experience with several required quizzes (1 for each lesson typically and taking the highest score out of the first 3 attempts), 1-2 projects or research papers for UL courses, and then the final exam. However they are usually fairly painless to complete and RPnow proctoring allows you to take the exam anytime of the day/night from the comfort of your home.
[-] The following 2 users Like shadowgem's post:
  • alab21, WhyHello!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Operations Management Cert Add-on Dosada 2 130 03-26-2024, 05:20 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 259 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Credit Transfer Confusion legenwait4itdary 30 2,575 03-01-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,157 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP