Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Grad School Credits for Second Bachelors
(02-15-2019, 11:45 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 11:07 PM)satori Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 10:38 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 07:36 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 02:02 PM)sanantone Wrote: TESU will let you use the credits, but you'll need to meet the requirements for new credits. New credits are credits earned after the last degree of any level is conferred. 

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/award-of-degrees

I think that basically translates as you can only use credits that have not been used in support of a prior degree (one that has already been conferred). If you want to use them towards a degree at TESU they must be new credits. Most colleges (like Excelsior) have similar policies in that regard... double dipping is not allowed.

I think Merlin is right- TESU only lets you do that when the credits haven't been used in a degree - not sure about EC

Thanks.  So as long as the degree has not been conferred yet they will give me credit?

I believe that is true, as long as we're talking about the "new credits" aspect (which is the last 24 credits of the degree). Based on what sanantone said (which sounds right to me) 96 credits can probably come from anywhere, even from previously awarded degrees.

Some degrees at TESU also allow a 9 credit "overlap" between degrees, which I believe will further reduce that 24 new credits requirement down to 15 credits. Though I'm not 100% sure how that works since I haven't looked at that section of the catalog in a while.
9 credit overlap is for two areas of study within the same degree, not for subsequent degrees (or at least that's my recollection)
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(02-16-2019, 12:26 AM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 11:45 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 11:07 PM)satori Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 07:36 PM)Merlin Wrote: I think that basically translates as you can only use credits that have not been used in support of a prior degree (one that has already been conferred). If you want to use them towards a degree at TESU they must be new credits. Most colleges (like Excelsior) have similar policies in that regard... double dipping is not allowed.

I think Merlin is right- TESU only lets you do that when the credits haven't been used in a degree - not sure about EC

Thanks.  So as long as the degree has not been conferred yet they will give me credit?

I believe that is true, as long as we're talking about the "new credits" aspect (which is the last 24 credits of the degree). Based on what sanantone said (which sounds right to me) 96 credits can probably come from anywhere, even from previously awarded degrees.

Some degrees at TESU also allow a 9 credit "overlap" between degrees, which I believe will further reduce that 24 new credits requirement down to 15 credits. Though I'm not 100% sure how that works since I haven't looked at that section of the catalog in a while.

9 credit overlap is for two areas of study within the same degree, not for subsequent degrees (or at least that's my recollection)

Yeah, that's only for second AOS, you're right. You won't be coming back for a second AOS in the same degree anyway, so this wouldn't ever apply.

I'm looking at the catalog now. To confirm, at TESU a second baccalaureate degree requires at least 24 additional credits (8 courses) in the AOS/core of the second degree, earned after the date of the most recent degree, regardless of academic level. This is in addition to completing any other degree requirements (like specific math or science courses) needed for the new degree. The remaining 96 credits may come from prior degrees at any academic level, though they are not specifically called out.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(02-15-2019, 07:36 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 02:02 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 01:57 PM)satori Wrote: Have BS and MBA in Finance and am working on an MS in Data Science (which I may change to Applied Statistics).  Can I use credits from my grad degrees for a BA in Computer Science and Mathematics at TESU?  I think Excelsior will not let you use the credits if they have been used for another degree.  Thanks.

TESU will let you use the credits, but you'll need to meet the requirements for new credits. New credits are credits earned after the last degree of any level is conferred. 

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/award-of-degrees

I think that basically translates as you can only use credits that have not been used in support of a prior degree (one that has already been conferred). If you want to use them towards a degree at TESU they must be new credits. Most colleges (like Excelsior) have similar policies in that regard... double dipping is not allowed.

TESU does not make you start from scratch just because you already have a degree. I earned a second bachelor's degree, and I earned it after my first master's. TESU didn't throw away all my previous credits. I just needed to earn 24 new credits in the area of study. So, like others have been saying, you can use up to 96 credits from previous degrees.

EC also doesn't toss out all your old credits for undergraduate programs. I'm in the process of getting an eval right now. If we're talking about their master's programs, I'm not sure if they'll let you transfer graduate credits that have been used in another degree program. 

The Big 3 have new credit requirements specifically because you can use a lot of old credits. They wouldn't have a new credit minimum if you weren't allowed to transfer any credits.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Just spoke to Lea at TESU.  She advised me they do not accept grad school credits for a bachelors even if those credits have not been used for a degree. Does anyone have experience with this?  These are from a regionally accredited school. Thanks.
Excelsior College did for me.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(02-21-2019, 01:49 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Excelsior College did for me.

Just spoke to COSC who advised me they accept some as long as you don't plan to use them for a degree. How would they know?

Just confirmed this with a second person at TESU. They will only accept undergraduate credits for an undergraduate degree.
TESU let me use grad school credits in 2017. I don't know which department you talked to, but assume that anyone on the phone will give you inaccurate information. It's always been that way.

(02-21-2019, 01:56 PM)satori Wrote:
(02-21-2019, 01:49 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Excelsior College did for me.

Just spoke to COSC who advised me they accept some as long as you don't plan to use them for a degree. How would they know?

Just confirmed this with a second person at TESU.  They will only accept undergraduate credits for an undergraduate degree.

I'm still skeptical because it's well-known here that the phone reps rarely know what they're talking about.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Confirmed with Sara Volz in Admissions that grad school credits will most likely not be accepted. Have to use undergraduate only. Seems contrary to the spirit.
(02-21-2019, 02:22 PM)satori Wrote: Confirmed with Sara Volz in Admissions that grad school credits will most likely not be accepted.  Have to use undergraduate only.  Seems contrary to the spirit.
Admissions does not know what will be accepted. She didn't even give you a confident answer. "Will likely not be accepted, " means that she doesn't even know the policy. As I mentioned before, only the registrar truly knows what will be accepted and academic advisors to a lesser extent. Admissions is the worst department to call.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Given that many here have used the Harvard Poetry in America grad credits, you can be certain that they do not reject all grad credits being used in an undergraduate degree. What exactly the policy is, who knows, but it is most certainly not a blanket rejection.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 460 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 213 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 337 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Organizational Leadership Cert SDC transfer credits Kones 5 499 02-10-2024, 03:48 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  What constitutes "new" credits for 2nd degree? homeschoolmom1 8 527 01-15-2024, 10:50 PM
  So, about the TESU school logo on linkedin.. posabsolute 6 672 01-04-2024, 05:45 PM
  Emailing TESU about planning external credits into academic evaluation aperantosbias 9 642 12-29-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Less Than 15 Credits Left for TESU Flat Rate Term mariobros1985 7 829 11-22-2023, 09:38 PM
  TESU AS in electronics. Transfer credits options? shows55 2 446 11-12-2023, 11:40 AM
  back to school bassel75 1 335 11-01-2023, 01:09 PM