Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Grad School Credits for Second Bachelors
(02-22-2019, 03:25 PM)sanantone Wrote: From the registrar:                       
Quote:Thomas Edison State University will accept a maximum of 30 SH of credit from an accredited graduate program toward the requirements of a baccalaureate or associate degree.  However, please be advised that many graduate programs will not accept graduate credits toward their graduate degrees if those credits were applied to an undergraduate degree.   [P]If you expect to apply the graduate credits toward a graduate degree, you should consult the graduate school you plan to attend before applying these credits toward your Thomas Edison State University degree.

Would you mind asking a follow up question? Would you ask them if it matters if those grad credits can still be used if they were part of a graduate degree?

Quote:Thomas Edison State University will accept a maximum of 30 SH of credit from an accredited graduate program toward the requirements of a baccalaureate or associate degree.  However, please be advised that many graduate programs will not accept graduate credits toward their graduate degrees if those credits were applied to an undergraduate degree.   [P]If you expect to apply the graduate credits toward a graduate degree, you should consult the graduate school you plan to attend before applying these credits toward your Thomas Edison State University degree.

Would you mind asking a follow up question? Would you ask them if it matters if those grad credits can still be used if they were part of a graduate degree?
(02-21-2019, 02:29 PM)sanantone Wrote: I'll send an email to TESU because I don't want people reading this forum to be misinformed.

(02-21-2019, 02:28 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Given that many here have used the Harvard Poetry in America grad credits, you can be certain that they do not reject all grad credits being used in an undergraduate degree. What exactly the policy is, who knows, but it is most certainly not a blanket rejection.
Yes, people are currently using grad credits toward their undergraduate degrees. I don't know how I can make it any clearer that phone reps do not know how credits are evaluated.

This is true. They have ALWAYS accepted grad credits toward undergrad degree (as upper level). This has been true since my first day here.
Admissions are sales and marketing personnel. They have no, none, zip to do with how credits are accepted - of course that doesn't stop them from spewing out some made up answer that they think sounds good. Might as well ask someone in the cafeteria.
(02-22-2019, 06:39 PM)cookderosa Wrote:

Would you mind asking a follow up question?  Would you ask them if it matters if those grad credits can still be used if they were part of a graduate degree?

Would you mind asking a follow up question?  Would you ask them if it matters if those grad credits can still be used if they were part of a graduate degree?

I just shot off an email. They'll probably respond by the middle of next week.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • cookderosa
(02-22-2019, 07:18 PM)sanantone Wrote:

thanks!!
(not sure why my comments were double...hmmm ignore that)
how would.. TESU know if you double dip?

let's say I have a prior BA in Liberal Arts degree. I'm going for a second BA in CS. (I knock off some classes via SL/SDC)

At the same time, I sign up for an online Masters in Computer Science for non-majors from a UK Uni. (see below)

https://online.york.ac.uk/study-online/m...ce-online/

I complete the first 8 modules from the MS in CS program and have them evaluated by WES and transferred into TESU for my BA in CS.

Graduate from TESU with the BA in CS, after which, I continue with my UK program to finish the last 2 modules and graduate with a MS in CS.
(02-23-2019, 01:01 AM)nyvrem Wrote: how would.. TESU know if you double dip?

let's say I have a prior BA in Liberal Arts degree. I'm going for a second BA in CS. (I knock off some classes via SL/SDC)

At the same time, I sign up for an online Masters in Computer Science for non-majors from a UK Uni. (see below)

https://online.york.ac.uk/study-online/m...ce-online/

I complete the first 8 modules from the MS in CS program and have them evaluated by WES and transferred into TESU for my BA in CS.

Graduate from TESU with the BA in CS, after which, I continue with my UK program to finish the last 2 modules and graduate with a MS in CS.

For programs in the U.S. they can find out from the national student clearinghouse. If you're pursuing an international degree then I have no idea. As part of validating the credits, they could always just reach out to the school the credits originate from and inform that you're seeking to apply them to a BS program. Even if they don't do that, I suppose a college could revoke a degree if academic "double dipping" were discovered after the fact in violation of the school's policies.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(02-23-2019, 12:37 AM)cookderosa Wrote:
(02-22-2019, 07:18 PM)sanantone Wrote:

thanks!!  

Merlin merged the threads.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
And to add to Merlin's points, the timing is everything. If you've only got a small number of grad credits, you can send your transcript easily enough - but if the credit you want is inside a degree, they'll see that on your transcript.
(02-23-2019, 11:28 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(02-23-2019, 12:37 AM)cookderosa Wrote: thanks!!  

The double post had nothing to do with merging the threads. If there were two identical posts in two threads and they are merged, both will show individually. The forum will sometimes double post if you double click the save button.

I can remove the second post if desired though. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • cookderosa
(02-23-2019, 04:51 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(02-23-2019, 11:28 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(02-23-2019, 12:37 AM)cookderosa Wrote: thanks!!  

The double post had nothing to do with merging the threads. If there were two identical posts in two threads and they are merged, both will show individually. The forum will sometimes double post if you double click the save button.

I can remove the second post if desired though. Smile

Gotcha. I remember seeing the double post in the original thread. For some reason, I thought she was referring to the back-to-back posts.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 11 575 3 hours ago
Last Post: jch
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 223 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 343 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Organizational Leadership Cert SDC transfer credits Kones 5 512 02-10-2024, 03:48 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  What constitutes "new" credits for 2nd degree? homeschoolmom1 8 530 01-15-2024, 10:50 PM
  So, about the TESU school logo on linkedin.. posabsolute 6 680 01-04-2024, 05:45 PM
  Emailing TESU about planning external credits into academic evaluation aperantosbias 9 647 12-29-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Less Than 15 Credits Left for TESU Flat Rate Term mariobros1985 7 835 11-22-2023, 09:38 PM
  TESU AS in electronics. Transfer credits options? shows55 2 450 11-12-2023, 11:40 AM
  back to school bassel75 1 335 11-01-2023, 01:09 PM